• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand's best Spinner Vettori or Jeetan Patel?

Is NZ's best Spinner in Tests Vettori or Jeetan Patel ?

• Total voters

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's a poll. After following the career of Jeetan Patel for some time, I feel sorry for the guy..He is a very good spinner and a brilliant fielder and a reasonable Batsmen at that...IMHO if given a decent run in Tests he will do better as a Test Spinner than Vettori, (this does not mean Vettori is not a good spinner, but I just feel Jeetan can be a better spinner and wicket taker than Vettori at least in Tests) but at the moment the guy is languishing without any opportunity because Vettori as skipper is number 1 pick and NZ selectors never pick 2 spinners... I was apalled to see the guy being wasted as a reserve in the ODIs and now being placed as a possible inclusion for the 2nd Test only against Bangladesh ....Must be extremely frustrating for the guy.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Daniel Vettori, undoubtedly.

BTW, you spelt Winston Peters wrong. Would've voted for him otherwise.

Natman20

International Debutant
Depends on the situation. Vettori would be my pick anyday for his economy and occasional wickets. If it were a T20 or death overs I would probably go for Patel. 43 wickets in a calendar year at an average of 26.66 or something is pretty impressive from Vettori in ODIs so on that i'd say Vettori. I never thought he was playin that well.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
And yet Bruce Martin has better FC figures than these two (an average of 32 compared to Patels 40).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Vettori for sure. A bit of hype on the site over Patel, He's ok but I haven't seen him produce a dominating performance.

New Zealand selectors do pick 2 spinners when the situation arises. No point picking 2 in NZ.

Flem274*

123/5
Patel is more attacking than Vettori so IMO he is more likely to pick up test wickets. ATM Vettori is the better spinner hands down but if Vettori was injured for a season or two and Patel was given an opportunity I believe that he would be more effective than Vettori would if he played those matches. Vettori is world class in ODIs but hasn't really dominated to the extent he does in limited overs cricket in test matches.

So now its Vettori but if Patel gets a decent run in the side Vettori should feel very nervous indeed.

NZTailender

I haven't had the opportunity to see Bruce Martin bowl. IIRC he went on a couple of top end A tours and performed well with the ball. Can anyone who have seen him bowl tell me if he has a good technique? Because his stats indicate he should be ahead of Patel in our backup spinner ranks.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was going to say something in response to the above post, then I had some bad memories. :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Patel is more attacking than Vettori so IMO he is more likely to pick up test wickets.
I'm more attacking than Vettori.. am I more likely to pick up test wickets? :p

I've seen a fair bit of Patel now. While he does indeed look quite a bit better than his first class record suggests, I still think he's a bit over-rated, and Vettori is definitely the superior bowler IMO.

If the pitch isn't turning a lot, he's pretty much useless, I'm sad to say. If all finger spinners were Jeetan Patel, I'd agree with all Richard says about them. He doesn't vary his pace a lot and he doesn't seem to beat many batsmen in flight. He does, however, give it a good rip and is pretty accurate - hence, if the pitch is turning, he's a very dangerous bowler. I'd never pick him ahead of Vettori though; I'd just pick two spinners when the conditions dictated. Especially since Vettori would be a much better allrounder in said conditions than Oram, even if Patel was deemed a better bowler in them.

Julian87

State Captain
I think with Vettoti's batting the way it is, the team could probably afford to play two seamers + Oram and then two spinners with Vettori batting at 6 or 7.

NZTailender

I think with Vettoti's batting the way it is, the team could probably afford to play two seamers + Oram and then two spinners with Vettori batting at 6 or 7.
No, we can't rely on Vettori with the bat. I mean, he's batted well in the last few years but thats been as a bonus. There have been times when we've asked him to do more (like him batting up the order at around 5 in ODI's) but he's failed to deliver. He's much better as a bowler who can bat for us, rather than a pure all rounder of sorts. Having him at 6 would leave us dangerously exposed and weakened. The best attack for us is 3 bowlers plus Oram and Vettori.

anoop4real

U19 12th Man
No, we can't rely on Vettori with the bat. I mean, he's batted well in the last few years but thats been as a bonus. There have been times when we've asked him to do more (like him batting up the order at around 5 in ODI's) but he's failed to deliver. He's much better as a bowler who can bat for us, rather than a pure all rounder of sorts. Having him at 6 would leave us dangerously exposed and weakened. The best attack for us is 3 bowlers plus Oram and Vettori.
Ya thats right but comparing with Jeetan Patel....Vettori is the best for sure :)

Matt52

U19 Vice-Captain
I haven't had the opportunity to see Bruce Martin bowl. IIRC he went on a couple of top end A tours and performed well with the ball. Can anyone who have seen him bowl tell me if he has a good technique? Because his stats indicate he should be ahead of Patel in our backup spinner ranks.
Ive seen him a few times. Hes pretty good imo. The problem being hes a left arm orthodox, just like Vettori, so he would have to be something special to have two spin bowlers who do the same thing in your line up. I was really impressed when i saw him, spins it more than vettori, but then, so does everyone, ...He would have been our top spinner imo had Vettori not come along and would have done alright at international level.

Another crazy thing is he plays for Northern, so when vettori comes back he doesnt even get a provincial game.