• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it just me who'll miss the Champions Trophy when it's gone?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yup, the CT has become way superior to the WC. I've never bought the argument that shedloads of mismatches in the WC is fine because there's normally one upset somewhere in the mix, but we've had this discussion before. A way of organising a tournament with 12 sides would probably be the best of both worlds, and it shoudn't be beyond the wit of the ICC to come up with it.
IMO 12 teams isn't enough. If you want to encourage cricket in the associate nations then you need to put more of them in the World Cup.

Realistically, the ICC aren't going to do the WC like Furball suggested, because they want as many matches and money they can get. So it's either super 8's, or massive groups where it's obvious which sides are going to go through, like group A in the last World Cup, and frankly I'd rather have the super 8's.
The other alternative is to do the Super 8s as 2 groups of 4 as they do in the World T20.

Dissector

International Debutant
Glad to see I am not the only one who likes the Champions Trophy. Short ,sweet , and competitive unlike the bloated mess that is the World Cup.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's a certain attraction (perhaps even novelty) to watching mismatches involving minnows in the World Cup. I personally loved coming home everyday, tuning in and watching a whole bunch of new faces and trying to guage whether or not they were actually decent cricketers in international terms. The upsets are just a bonus.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's a certain attraction (perhaps even novelty) to watching mismatches involving minnows in the World Cup. I personally loved coming home everyday, tuning in and watching a whole bunch of new faces and trying to guage whether or not they were actually decent cricketers in international terms. The upsets are just a bonus.
The World Cup is about more than just the same old 10 teams you watch all year round.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The World Cup is about more than just the same old 10 teams you watch all year round.
Both very true, and then there's the fact that at the last World Cup teams like Bangladesh and Ireland had some great matches while half the matches between the top sides were uninteresting beatings.

The advantage the CT has over the WC right now is that every match means something - the huge groups at the World Cup wreck that.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
better they keep this then try and do that half-baked test championship idea - 4 teams is just ridiculous.

James

Cricket Web Owner
What I don't understand is why are so many people calling this tournament an overwhelming success? IMO, the tournament has failed more than it has succeeded due to the weather and that's solely to do with the fact that there's no reserve days. I'm not sure how many games have been affected by rain, sure someone will know, but its been too many.

Also to me anyway, I think a lot of the matches have been decided solely on the basis of who wins the toss and that's poor with pitch conditions changing so much between innings 1 and 2. It can't be helped a great deal and the weather has played its part there, but again that comes back to how you derive whether the tournament is huge success or not for me.

What I'm hoping the ICC do going forward is learn their lessons here and all tournaments have reserve days in place.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
a bit of rain doesn't ruin a tournament for me, it's the fact that big crowds and TV audiences are watching the matches and the media actually cares about it that makes this CT a success

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Test Championship is a terrible idea IMO.
Have there been any details suggested of what the format for it might be?? It's an interesting idea but I'd imagine a logistical nightmare to put together.

I'll reserve judgement on it until I see what's actually planned.