• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

is it just me or are stumpings on a steady decline?

Beleg

International Regular
lack of flight? shift in batting attitude coupled with a heightened positioning awareness?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More like suitable spinners and talented glovesmen on a steady decline tbh.

Edit: That's if they are indeed going down; wouldn't be surprised if they're staying fairly constant.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nah, if you compare early keepers' stumping stats to present day glovemen, catches > stumpings by quite a great extent, in Test cricket at least. I'd put that down to change in wickets more than anything, meaning standing up just isn't required as much.

T20 is a totally different story, however, and it's great to see the increased emphasis the shorter forms of the game have put on the keeper being able to stand up to medium pacers. That's always one of the hallmarks of my sides - the U11 keeper at school this year had 11 stumpings: the only downside is that I'm currently only on 8 and therefore heading for loss of bet.

shankar

International Debutant
Another reason is less joke batting by tail-enders against spin nowadays ala Sree vs Swann yesterday.

Howe_zat

Audio File
And we have:

Code:
Era                  % stumpings

1877-1914            3.75

1919-1939            3.81

1945-1970            2.59

1970-1991            1.44

1991-2011            1.61
So:

1) Yes, there are fewer stumpings, in fact the rate has essentially halved over the history of Test cricket

2) The biggest difference is between pre and post-war cricket

3) This is probably a lot to do with uncovered pitches

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
And we have:

Code:
Era                  % stumpings

1877-1914            3.75

1919-1939            3.81

1945-1970            2.59

1970-1991            1.44

1991-2011            1.61
So:

1) Yes, there are fewer stumpings, in fact the rate has essentially halved over the history of Test cricket

2) The biggest difference is between pre and post-war cricket

3) This is probably a lot to do with uncovered pitches
Thanks:happy:, so in recent history there is hardly any difference in the percentage of stumpings, in fact they have increased in the last 20 years.

But not sure if OP meant Tests or ODIs. In tests the number was always going to be low given the lesser pressure on batsmen to score.quickly

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Beleg's avatar is one if the great mysteries of CW.

Just doesn't suit the poster.

Talk us through it, Beleg.