• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is any batsman gonna ever eclipse RTD's ODI average?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it can be overtaken, provided someone has a short career with a lot of not outs. Or if they play against associates a lot.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
In the same way that Ganteaume still stands...
Exactly what I was going to add.

Ten Doesschate would have had to had played at least 100 matches before he comes into consideration for anything. He didnt even play 50.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

Ten Doesschate would have had to had played at least 100 matches before he comes into consideration for anything. He didnt even play 50.
So in 22 years Netherlands have only played 78 ODIs. 100 is an arbitrary number (as is RTDs batting average).

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's possible to think of a player potentially having a career with comparable circumstances to RTD (well above associate class, played minimal ODI's and even less against quality opposition). It's kinda like how Voges has the second best Test average of all-time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bloke played 8 ODIs total against opposition that has been in the top 8-9 ODI teams. Don't think anyone will ever treat his average as anything more than an oddity.

Solid bat though, may genuinely have averaged around 40 against top opposition if given the opportunity.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's possible to think of a player potentially having a career with comparable circumstances to RTD (well above associate class, played minimal ODI's and even less against quality opposition). It's kinda like how Voges has the second best Test average of all-time.
I’d question if he actually is well above associate class as his record in county cricket is pretty middle of the road.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a shame Andre van Troost never played international cricket for the Dutch. Sure he wasn't really that good, but he was damn faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast and that is enough for the vast majority of assosciate batsman to be all at sea.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Off topic but boy I don't understand that sentence construction. Is it legit? Seen something similar a few times here from Aussie posters.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
It's a shame Andre van Troost never played international cricket for the Dutch. Sure he wasn't really that good, but he was damn faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast and that is enough for the vast majority of assosciate batsman to be all at sea.
He did play a bit, bowled at Grant Flower at the 1990 ICC Trophy. For some bizarre reason those matches aren't even counted as List A.

RTD's ODI average probably isn't going to be beaten but I can imagine someone getting a ridiculous average in T20Is now that's open to all countries