• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland v Pakistan - biggest WC shock ever?

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Well that's what they are saying on Sky anyway. IMO there is only one shock that compares - Kenya v WI in 1996. At halfway yesterday we knew Ireland had a chance. In 1996 Kenya only scored 166 bating first - FGS Lara might have got that on his own! But WI were routed for 93 by an unhearled atack. But then again Ireland had to chase under pressure - which no minnow has ever done before - and Pakistan knew if they lost they were out. (WI bailed themselves out in the next match and actually got to SF). So IMO March 17th 2007 just pips Leap year Day 1996. but have I missed one out? PS - my definition of a "shock" is a non-Test country beating a Test one - so the 1983 F does NOT count (and remeember India had beat WI before in that tournament)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Well, there's also Kenya and Sri Lanka last time, and Kenya consequently making the semis. Wasn't the biggest shock result, but it probably had the biggest impact of any of the wins by non-test teams over test teams at the WC, when combined with the victories over Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and the NZ forfeit.

I think Kenya over the West Indies in '96 is probably the biggest surprise in a match result, though. For starters, the West Indies were still a very good team at that time, and made the semi-finals in the tournament, and might even have won the whole thing if they hadn't choked big time against Australia. It was also the first time a completely unknown non-test team beat a fancied test side at the WC, meaning there was simply no consideration of it happening beforehand.

Since then there's been Bangladesh over Pakistan in '99, and Kenya making the semis in '03, which makes the Ireland result a bit less shocking than it would have been 10 years ago. The fact that people immediately circled the Ireland vs Pakistan game as a possible upset before the tournament began shows that much.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I would probably say it is, thought considering how woeful Pakistan's batting has been over the last year you can't say it was completely out of the question. It being Irelend's first world cup as well adds something to it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the manner in which Ireland achieved the victory makes it the biggest upset. They inserted Pakistan and bowled them for 130odd, of which 20 odd were extras. They then chased it on essentially a bowlers' wicket, with a significant portion of the chase in bad light.

Yes, the Kenya victory was a huge upset too, but I think the point that Ireland won this one chasing is a big consideration.

haroon510

International 12th Man
I think the manner in which Ireland achieved the victory makes it the biggest upset. They inserted Pakistan and bowled them for 130odd, of which 20 odd were extras. They then chased it on essentially a bowlers' wicket, with a significant portion of the chase in bad light.

Yes, the Kenya victory was a huge upset too, but I think the point that Ireland won this one chasing is a big consideration.
i agree with u there

jammay123

State 12th Man
not the biggest shock. the way its going canada look like they are gonna chase down 280. god dont let englend fuk this one up. i couldnt stand the ridicule from the irish side of my family

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I think on a single result yes, It is. Kenya have always been a team you would mark down as a tricky set, and you would always have the feeling they could push every team. However, it is Irelands first world cup, and you would not say they are of the same ability as Kenya, but they have beaten a team of the same quality as the kenyans beat. That is in my opinion anyway. As you say, the manner of which ireland did it - Bowling them for a paltry score and withstanding immense pressure would just about suggest that it was indeed the biggest shcok in International cricket.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
A big difference was that when Kenya beat the West Indies, no-one expected them to, or believed they would before the game.

The fact that Ireland were always targeting this game for a win and the fact that several people had predicted it would happen surely makes it less of an upset. For those that have seen them play, there was also the feel that the Associates now are getting much closer to the Test sides than they have been in the past. Plus is was played on St. Pat's day, so anyone with any feel for drama and a fairytale should have considered it as a possibility.

I do agree however that the manner in which they won was of huge significance, not just in terms of upsets, but in terms of a new frontier being reached for Associate cricket .

open365

International Vice-Captain

I disagree, with a minnow nation i think the easiest way for them to win is the way Ireland did it because as you go down the levels in cricket the score of sides generaly get lower and lower. I could never really imagine Ireland winning a game batting first because i don't think they have the batting class tog et enough runs on the board to make the opposition play differently

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
RIP Bob Woolmer.

The biggest WC shock to me.
Quite - it's really amazing, to me, that anyone's concerned about discussing any other topics at the moment, TBH... this thread was started before the news broke, obviously, but all other "shocks" kinda cease to matter for a little while IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well that's what they are saying on Sky anyway. IMO there is only one shock that compares - Kenya v WI in 1996. At halfway yesterday we knew Ireland had a chance. In 1996 Kenya only scored 166 bating first - FGS Lara might have got that on his own! But WI were routed for 93 by an unhearled atack. But then again Ireland had to chase under pressure - which no minnow has ever done before - and Pakistan knew if they lost they were out. (WI bailed themselves out in the next match and actually got to SF). So IMO March 17th 2007 just pips Leap year Day 1996. but have I missed one out? PS - my definition of a "shock" is a non-Test country beating a Test one - so the 1983 F does NOT count (and remeember India had beat WI before in that tournament)
Wasn't shocked tbh.