• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interview with Lou Vincent - Your Questions Please

James

Cricket Web Owner
We'll be continuing our interview series next with Lou Vincent.

Any suggested questions are appreciated :)

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He always seemed like a mini-Sehwag to me.

Not a question, I know....

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Louey Vincent!?!

Wow. Your batting often seems to have the momentum of a runaway train What's it like being so cool.

Did you cop much flack for your slide in the outfield where your trousers came down and you had to throw the ball in with them round your ankles?

Do you think you should have played more Test cricket. If so, what held you back from achieving your potential?

Chubb

International Regular
Is it true you had a pet goat which you sold to afford the airfare to come to England to play for Worcestershire?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would honestly like an international batsman to answer me how he mentally prepares for each ball in a test match. Does he clear his mind and think about the beach. Does he try to second guess the bowler on where he is going to bowl. e.g. he just bowled me a bouncer here comes the yorker. Are you thinking about trying to upset the bowler's line and length. What goes on out there in the middle?

Andre

International Regular
I'd actually like to ask him about his off-field struggles and how they related back to his cricket. He was reasonably public in his battle with depression, what effect did it have on his cricket? Was he able to use the game as an 'escape' or was it as much part of the problem as it was the solution? Furthermore, did he feel embarrassed to share it with his teammates due to the nature of team sport?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
These are 'BBC Hardtalk' questions, won't feel bad about you couching them much, much more delicately or not using them at all. :p

* How would you rate your player-captain relationship with Stephen Fleming looking back? He was willing to open in Tests to allow a couple of Cantab free-scorers to fit much more easily into our top 6, a ploy never afforded to you or Sinclair. Did his close ties with McMillan and Astle ever make you feel like the deck was stacked?

* There was a Test innings that you said was a big personal turning point (2005 Auckland Test vs. Australia, 40 run out off 33) having made 63 off 199 balls in Wellington the previous match. To paraphrase what you said at the time, 'it was only 40 but this is who I really am, good things will happen when I bat with intent'. A Test double century against Sri Lanka came after this, and you played superbly replacing Astle in the Aussie tri-series in 2007.

Is it fair to say your 'always bat with intent, find the fun again' motto, and John Bracewell's 'fun and impulse = weak' ways hit a very specific breaking point? Or was this overdone by the media, and you may have bowed out of internationals regardless of coach?

fredfertang

How does the standard of domestic cricket in New Zealand compare to that in England, and can he identify any reason as to why he performed so much better for :Worcestershire than he did for Lancashire

Red

The old chestnut: Which bowler did you find most difficult to face in your career?

HeathDavisSpeed

How does the standard of domestic cricket in New Zealand compare to that in England, and can he identify any reason as to why he performed so much better for :Worcestershire than he did for Lancashire
Why would anyone outside of Lanca****e willingly play their best for them?

fredfertang

Why would anyone outside of Lanca****e willingly play their best for them?
Money?

But we have had more than our fair share of duds when it comes to overseas stars and, Danny Morrison and Nathan Astle leaping to mind, Kiwis seem to be high on the list of offenders :)

HeathDavisSpeed

Money?

But we have had more than our fair share of duds when it comes to overseas stars and, Danny Morrison and Nathan Astle leaping to mind, Kiwis seem to be high on the list of offenders :)
Good. I couldn't be happier that Kiwis have let down Lanca****e. :p

fredfertang

Good. I couldn't be happier that Kiwis have let down Lanca****e. :p
I must admit I wasn't expecting too much in the way of sympathy from your direction!

.... and at least Morrison was consistent, if unspectacular, but Astle was a real let down - he was worse than Steve Elworthy

Red

I must admit I wasn't expecting too much in the way of sympathy from your direction!

.... and at least Morrison was consistent, if unspectacular, but Astle was a real let down - he was worse than Steve Elworthy

Liked Morrison, one of my favourite NZ cricketers. Always had a go.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You played in a whole bunch of different positions in the batting order during your test career. Looking back, in which position would you have most enjoyed a sustained run in the team, and why?

Which country did you most enjoy touring?

What was your strategy for playing Warne during your test debut at perth?

Which was your favorite win during your international career, and which defeat hurt the most?