• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

interesting stats

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Tests. Cook's now captained in 22 defeats, I believe Atherton only managed 21.

Cook's 2nd to Vaughan in terms of victories though, for a bit of balance.

Rootfan

Banned
India is starting to sound like late 00's Sri Lanka for me. Sanga, Murali, Jayawardene. Kohli, Ashwin, Pujara. 3 players on each team that matter.
I don't think Ashwin will have Murali's success; not even close. Kohli/Pujara can definitely do a Sanga/jayawardene though. Reckon India's backup (Rahane and co) also edges out SL of the late 00s and if Shami/Bhuvi can keep up their recent good showing, they might finally have a team that can consistently compete overseas.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I have more hope from our potential overseas pace attack of Shami-Bhuvi-Ishant-Umesh than any other Indian attack in recent memory. I know it's going to end in tears like always but I can't help it.

Daemon

I have more hope from our potential overseas pace attack of Shami-Bhuvi-Ishant-Umesh than any other Indian attack in recent memory. I know it's going to end in tears like always but I can't help it.
It'll start off looking good. A month before the first test in Aus/Eng Shami will get injured. Still, the rest are doing fine, we'll be alright.

First test starts, we've gone in with 4 bowlers because Rohit Sharma is back. Bowling is steady overall but Umesh is spraying it. Bhuvi's not looking threatening but gets 2/70. Ishant bowls well. We fail to take 20 wickets.

Second test comes round and Shami is fit again, Bhuvi is dropped for him despite Umesh bowling poorly in the first game because pace and intent. Hardik Pandya comes in for that extra bowling option and is slapped around. Clearly not a test prospect. Umesh bowls poorly again. Ishant steady. Shami bit poor coming back from injury. Fail to take 20 wickets.

Before the third test Ishant hurts his ankle. Ruled out. Bhuvi comes back in and takes a 5-fer. Fans who were appalled at the decision to drop him earlier are vindicated. Umesh sprays it again but bowls one very, very good spell in the match. Shami steady. Take 20 wickets, but batting has failed and we lose by 300.

tbc

vcs

Shastri whinging about something.. foreign commentators saying mean things about India, umpires daring to give Indians out, or the airconditioning in the commentary box not having the right temperature.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Virat Kohli is the first batsman to have a batting average of 50+ in all 3 international cricket formats simultaneously.

^ Is that absolutely true or needs some qualification of certain minimum number of innings?

Last edited:

Daemon

I can only think of Lokesh Rahul, but I'm fairly certain his Test average never touched 50. Maybe it was on 50 before he got out on 199? Either way Kohli got there first.

OverratedSanity

Virat Kohli is the first batsman to have a batting average of 50+ in all 3 international cricket formats simultaneously.

^ Is that absolutely true or needs some qualification of certain minimum number of innings?
Babar Azam did it before kohli but it was in the middle of a match and his average dropped back to below 50 after he got out.

Daemon

Babar Azam also nearly had him beat, was 3.5 runs short after the 2nd Test v NZ.

vcs

Think he scored 3 consecutive ODI tons against WI earlier this year.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Babar Azam did it before kohli but it was in the middle of a match and his average dropped back to below 50 after he got out.
Hmm, so let's say Kohli is the first to achieve that after a completed match. He is the only one currently but that doesn't mean much as he can also drop below 50 soon.