• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Initials Draft

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
In Round 1, each player picks a letter and names an XI whose names all start with that letter. For simplicity's sake, we'll go by the name under which they're sorted by Cricinfo - so Imtiaz Ali, Ted a'Beckett, Abdul Qadir and Zafar Ansari are all valid 'A' picks but Wasim Akram and Andy Caddick are not.

In each later round, each player again picks a letter and picks 1 or more players starting with that letter. These players now become part of their XI, and they must also drop the same number of players they'd previously picked. Alternatively, if you're happy with your XI as it stands, you can pass. Once all players have passed, the draft ends.

You cannot pick a player who has previously been picked, even if they've been dropped, including players you've dropped yourself.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
seems a bit complicated. is there an easy way to find out how cricinfo sorts a player? Because I'd have assumed Andy Caddick and Abdul Qadir would both come under A. Does it generally go by last names for european players?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll join. So it's effectively a two round speed draft?

Edit: Nvm I read it again. So is it mandatory to drop a player in each every round?

Last edited:

AndrewB

seems a bit complicated. is there an easy way to find out how cricinfo sorts a player? Because I'd have assumed Andy Caddick and Abdul Qadir would both come under A. Does it generally go by last names for european players?
If you go to statsguru you can list all Test cricketers sorted by name.

AndrewB

I think that's 8 so far (mr_mister not having committed), so room for a couple more. I'll give the first round order in 24 hours or so.

AndrewB

OK, let's start. Usual "no Bradman" rule applies. 16 hours each for Round 1, 12 hours each after that.

Order for Round 1:
Michaelf7777777
trundler
AndrewB
jimmy101
The Battlers Prince
morgieb
Coronis
mr_mister
SillyCowCorner1

(Order for Round 2 will be the reverse of this as usual).

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
I'll take M as my letter. My 11 is as follows

Charter 77 So Far

Arthur Morris
Bruce Mitchell
Charles Macartney
Stan McCabe
Peter May
Keith Miller (*)
Billy Murdoch (+)
Malcolm Marshall
Ted McDonald
Glenn McGrath
Muttiah Muralitharin

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hobbs
Hutton
Headley
Hammond
Harvey
Hazare
Healy
Hadlee
Shakib Al Hassan
Holding
Wes Hall

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This draft way too heavily awards an early pick. Should have set a timer and made it first come first served. Doubt trundler will have to swap more than one player lol