• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's chances of winning a medal

Sudeep

International Captain
Seriously, is there even a minute chance?

We're struggling in Hockey.

Facilities for other sports during the past year have been shameful.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sudeep said:
Seriously, is there even a minute chance?

We're struggling in Hockey.

Facilities for other sports during the past year have been shameful.
At the most they might win one.

Facilities for sports have always been rather poor -- I believe the talent is there
(in several sports) but a corrupt and inefficient administration virtually scupper any chance of that talent coming to the fore.

Re: hockey, India's national game, the people in charge of the IHF ought to hang their heads in shame. The current group of players in the Indian squad are the probably the best that India have had since the last of the great Indian teams faded away.
However, again poor coaching, selection and planning undermine any chance
those boys have of doing well.
In particular, the ridiculous experimentation policy that they have pursued
this year has been most detrimental to the well being of the team.

masterblaster

International Captain
India does so well in Commonwealth Games consistently, I think we were one of the top nations when it comes to the medal tally last time around.

Why are there so many negative thoughts during the olympic games?

Shooting will be a good chance I reckon.

Sudeep

International Captain
masterblaster said:
India does so well in Commonwealth Games consistently, I think we were one of the top nations when it comes to the medal tally last time around.

There was a feature story in "India Today" a couple of weeks back analyzing Indian sports in general, and chances of a decent performance in the Olympics.

The details regarding the politics and corruption that goes into Indian sports highlighted in the feature, paints a really glum picture.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
masterblaster said:

However sporting superpowers like America, Russia, China and Germany don't participate in the Commonwealth Games.

Sudeep

International Captain
masterblaster said:
India's shooting squad has been without a coach for a year now, which shows why everyone in India is pessimistic about this Olympics.

Craig

World Traveller
Well if cricket was an Olympic sport India would be in with a big chance.

I would say hockey.

yaju

State Vice-Captain
India winning a medal.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The maximum number of medals won by India at that Olympics is 1.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Any chance of a medal in Weightlifting? I hope Paes and Bhupathi can get one in Tennis. Chances in Hockey are almost nil unless a miracle happens :( . Anju in Long Jump is touch and go for me . Her most recent jump was 6.41 and she needs to bring it up to atleast 6.8 for a bronze imo. Her avg is around 6.7 and so 50-50 . A chance in Shooting. How good is India in Archery? The thing is Indian sportspersons always seem to be out of form in the Olympic year and this year is no exception :(

V Reddy

International Debutant
If Pakistan gets ahead of India in medals tally then atleast i hope due imp will be given to sports other than Cricket :@ . It would be shameful if they even bid for Olympics when we only have one medal or none to show in return

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
in olympics 2004 the most we can hope for is 2 medal
i dont know wether we will get that 2
the best chance for us might come when chess is in olympics i heard recently that they are going to add it in olympics as medal sport.

Last edited:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mahesh and Leander started their prep really well by reaching the doubles final at Toronto. This is first tournament together since 2001 i think and what a way to start . They beat a couple of top-10 teams on the way too. Go Hesh-Lee grab the title and also the gold in Athens :)

V Reddy

International Debutant
Well Paes & Bhupathi brushed aside Bjorkman and Mad Max in the finals. The Indian Express is back :thumbup:

V Reddy

International Debutant
V Reddy [url=http://inhome.rediff.com/sports/2004/jul/06shoot.htm said:
Rathore wins Gold[/url]
And Rathore wins silver :cool: and that too after i had just made a bet about it :p .