• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's ATG spin bowler

India ATG spin bowler

• Total voters

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting comparison IMO. Hard to pick a definitive winner.

How would you rank these bowlers? Is there anyone I've forgotten?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think any of them are truly ATGs tbh. Most of them ATVGs.
Yeah I agree. Kumble is closest because of longevity but I think Gupte had a better overseas record than most on the list.

Any of them would have averaged in the low 20s if they played for India in the last few years.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll throw in my two cents and opt for Bedi. My opinion is based on what former players have said about him.

Although Gupte is really intriguing. Would love to read a good article on him.

Borges

International Regular
I'll throw in my two cents and opt for Bedi. My opinion is based on what former players have said about him.
The man of strong beliefs, Ashley Mallet believes that it is Prasanna.

“Ashwin has bowled really well against the South Africans, but he is not on the same street as Erapalli Prasanna. ... He was the best off-spinner of all time.”
https://sportzwiki.com/cricket/ashley-mallett-prasanna-was-the-best-spinner-ever/

"For his tremendous performances in Australia in 1967-68, I place Prasanna if not above, at least on par with another genius offspinner, the Sri Lankan wizard Muttiah Muralitharan."
Ashley Mallett on the five best spinners he has seen - ESPN

trundler

Well we could try comparing the most similar ones first like Chandra and Kumble or Bhajjj and Ashwin, decide between them first and then compare to others?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kumble, Gupte, Prasanna and Bedi are the four best of their kind. Kuldeep will join in the fifth category.

OverratedSanity

Yeah I agree. Kumble is closest because of longevity but I think Gupte had a better overseas record than most on the list.

Any of them would have averaged in the low 20s if they played for India in the last few years.
Chandra's definitely the best overseas spinner. Won India tests off his own back in England and Australia.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, Chandra is the best. Prasanna would have had a better record if the lbw law was different. I remember SJS wrote a long piece on it.

trundler

I've read that Chandra was largely figured out towards the end of his career when batsmen started playing him as a medium pacer as his stock ball was the top spinner.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gupte was way before my time, but Shane Warne wasn't so as Garry Sobers reckons Gupte was a better bowler than Warne that'll do me for this one