• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

sideshowtim

Banned
lol that will be hilarious to watch. I don't get this bidding system - how can somelike ponting go for 400 000 and a Vettori go for 600 odd. Let alone Dhoni going for 1 mil or whatever. The whole thing is hilarious.
It has absolutely nothing to do with cricket and is more a marketability contest at this stage.

biased indian

International Coach
lol that will be hilarious to watch. I don't get this bidding system - how can somelike ponting go for 400 000 and a Vettori go for 600 odd. Let alone Dhoni going for 1 mil or whatever. The whole thing is hilarious.
some teams might have worked out that they need a decent spinner and will go after him
while batsmen are a lot ther .....

upto know its keeper who are in big demand...when is boucher coming up ???

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Supply and demand. Similar to how you David beckham's pubes would fetch you more than some small countries.

burr

State Vice-Captain
It has absolutely nothing to do with cricket and is more a marketability contest at this stage.
You think they'd still want to make decisions based vaguely on winning. There's nothing more marketable than a winning team. And I don't really see how someone like Vettori is more marketable than Ponting.

cbuts

International Debutant
Vetorri has the best bowling stats in 2020 and is also ranked no.1 odi bowler in the world

masterblaster

International Captain
The way Dhoni's been batting, keeping and leading has been nothing short of inspirational. He deserves his price tag as he is India's most valuable player at the moment.

masterblaster

International Captain
Vetorri has the best bowling stats in 2020 and is also ranked no.1 odi bowler in the world
Plus he had an absolutely brilliant Twenty20 World Cup with the ball. Deserves his price tag too in my opinion. Ponting and Hayden should've got a little more, but I'm sure they'd be happy to pocket that much money.

burr

State Vice-Captain
okay fair enough. I feel a bit stupid, I didn't realise this was 2020 I thought it was one day cricket, haven't been following. in that case you'd def want symonds, he has a great record in 2020.

masterblaster

International Captain
Heh, that's awesome.

Gotta say though, I'm officially supporting whichever team Ishu Sharma gets drafted into. He'll be a great pickup late in the bidding.
Wasn't there a rule of local Indian players getting picked for their respective state squads? Ishant plays for Delhi, so I'm assuming that he will go to Delhi (similarly like Agarkar will go to Mumbai and Laxman will go to Hyderabad) although if anybody feels that this isn't the case feel free to correct me on this matter.

cricman

International 12th Man
Kolkota is gonna sign Mohammed Rafique for far Cheaper than Vettori and I'd put my money that Rafique would just as well as Vettori.

BTW: What happens to players that aren't the auction like Rafique? how do hey get signed?

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn't there a rule of local Indian players getting picked for their respective state squads? Ishant plays for Delhi, so I'm assuming that he will go to Delhi (similarly like Agarkar will go to Mumbai and Laxman will go to Hyderabad) although if anybody feels that this isn't the case feel free to correct me on this matter.
He's on the draft list . Would love to see where he ends up.

masterblaster

International Captain
He's on the draft list . Would love to see where he ends up.
Thanks for that. I'm still thinking he'll end up in Delhi. Would be bizarre if he's playing for Chennai in IPL whilst playing for Delhi in the Ranji Trophy. Although I don't really think 'state' means all that much in this competition.

cricman

International 12th Man
Symo got his 1.35 Million cause he just said he's probably not going to tour Pakistan and than gave his reasons but IMO it was about the $$$$

Hado and Punter were far cheaper since there more likely to tour Pakistan

EDIT: kallis got signed by Banglore

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
Squads as of now:

Jaipur Shane Warne (US$ 450,000), Graeme Smith (US$ 475,000), Younis Khan (US$ 225,000)

Chennai MS Dhoni (US$ 1.5 million), Muttiah Muralitharan (US$ 600,00), Matthew Hayden (US$ 375,000), Jacob Oram (US$ 675,000), Stephen Fleming (US$ 350,000)

Mumbai Sachin Tendulkar (icon), Sanath Jayasuriya (US$ 975,000), Harbhajan Singh (US$ 850,000)

Bangalore Rahul Dravid (icon), Anil Kumble (US$ 500,000), Jacques Kallis (US$ 900,000), Zaheer Khan (US$ 450,000)

Hyderabad Adam Gilchrist (US$ 700,000), Andrew Symonds (US$ 1.35 million), Herschelle Gibbs (US$ 575,000), Shahid Afridi (US$ 675,000)

Mohali Yuvraj Singh (icon), Mahela Jayawardene (US$ 475,000), Kumar Sangakkara (US$ 700,000), Brett Lee (US$ 900,000), Sreesanth (US$ 625,000)

Kolkata Sourav Ganguly (icon), Shoaib Akhtar (US$ 425,000), Ricky Ponting (US$ 400,000), Brendon McCullum (US$ 700,000), Chris Gayle (US$ 800,000)

Delhi Virender Sehwag (icon), Daniel Vettori (US$ 625,000), Shoaib Malik (US$ 500,000), Mohammad Asif (US$ 650,000)