• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Premier League

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
. If they really cared about limiting each overseas team to two Australians, they police what happens in country cricket a lot more. It not unusal to have up to four Australians in one team.
Don't think there has ever been a county team with more than 2 Australians in it let alone 4? even with Stuart Law playing as an Englishman at Lancs we've only had one other Australian playing with him. Aussies haven't been able to play as Kolpaks(although IIRC they are close to signing a trade agreement with the EU which would mean players could become kolpaks) so the only way it would ever be possible to have 4 Australians in a side is to have 2 that have English residency/citizenship (or 3 now that the rules have changed).

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You don't support this IPL, do you? I'm death-riding it big time. Generic teams are just so meaningless (which Twenty20 is anyway). We saw how meaningless the World XI games were.
Well the thing is most new comps like this you always start of with these so-called Generic teams. But the team will be based on eight of major cities in India, so they wont completely be meaningless. If you look at other sports like Football with the A-League they pretty much started the same. If there is some focus to the cities rather then just the big name players, then I don't think the team with be as generic or meaningless as you think.

I don't see the Twenty20 aspects a big deal either. As I doubt they will limit to this concept, if it takes off. The only reason it is Twenty20 is due to the fact it is copy-cat to ICL. ICL choice Twenty20 as there was no major Twenty20 domestic comp in India. I dare say they would have used the 50-ver format, had there been a existing major Twenty20 domestic comp in India.

IMO there is a need for domestic competition/s that allows both big name Internationals and your average domestic cricketer to play together and earn more money. Looking at it from the Sri Lanka prespective. If out top 20 or so cricket can play in these competitions against the best players in the world. It is only going to improve the standard of our national team and potential other national teams. Which can only be good for International Cricket.

Unless there is competitions like this that have no limit on nationality, then gap from domestic cricket to international in countries like New Zeland, West Indies and Sri Lanka, will always be too big. Also theses countries simply can't pay the players what they deserve to earn as professional sportmen. When you compare to other sports Australian players don't earn enough either.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think there has ever been a county team with more than 2 Australians in it let alone 4? even with Stuart Law playing as an Englishman at Lancs we've only had one other Australian playing with him. Aussies haven't been able to play as Kolpaks(although IIRC they are close to signing a trade agreement with the EU which would mean players could become kolpaks) so the only way it would ever be possible to have 4 Australians in a side is to have 2 that have English residency/citizenship (or 3 now that the rules have changed).
There have been the odd circumstance where there have been 2 or more Australians playing in country cricket with English or European passports, plus a couple Australian overseas pros. I can't think of an example of the top of my head. But it has happened.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ten's Twenty20 Vision Is Blurry

I just can't see Aussie school kids rushing home to watch this and saying to each other - hey do you want to come over tonight and watch Jaipur v Mumbai?
As with something like the EPL, people don't always intially watch the matches cus they want to Everton play Blackburn. It is mainly to see Cahill up against Emerton. I dare say it will be the same thing, just replace Cahill and Emerton with Brett Lee and Ricky Ponting. Also most cricket fans would watch it for the quality of cricket, not the actually teams that are playing.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
There have been the odd circumstance where there have been 2 or more Australians playing in country cricket with English or European passports, plus a couple Australian overseas pros. I can't think of an example of the top of my head. But it has happened.
but surely if they are playing on English or European passports, CA can't 'police' what's happening because its nothing to do with them?

'Odd circumstance' is also a lot different to 'it's not unusual' in my book

howardj

International Coach
Wow are they broadcasting the auction live on Pay?

Can't wait to see the composition of each franchise. lol

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mitchell Johnson and Brad Haddin have each kocked back IPL contracts, citing their desire to concertrate on cementing their places int eh international side(s). Reports here have 15 other Aussies having signed on.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
___Australia

Nathan Bracken
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist (most $$$)
Jason Gillespie
Brad Haddin
Matthew Hayden
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Justin Langer
Brett Lee
Glenn McGrath
Ricky Ponting
Andrew Symonds
Shane Warne
Cameron White

___India
Ajit Agarkar
Piyush Chawla
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Rahul Dravid
Gautam Gambhir
Sourav Ganguly
Wasim Jaffer
Mohammed Kaif
Dinesh Karthik
Murali Kartik
Zaheer Khan
Anil Kumble
VVS Laxman
Munaf Patel
Parthiv Patel
Irfan Pathan
Yusuf Pathan
Ramesh Powar
Suresh Raina
Virender Sehwag
Ishant Sharma
Joginder Sharma
Rohit Sharma
Harbhajan Singh
Pankaj Singh
Rudra Pratap Singh
Yuvraj Singh
Sreesanth
Sachin Tendulkar
Manoj Tiwary
Robin Uthappa

___Pakistan

Shahid Afridi (most $$$)
Shoaib Akhtar
Kamran Akmal
Muhammad Asif
Umar Gul
Younis Khan
Shoaib Malik
Mohammad Yousuf
Salman Butt
Sohail Tanvir
Misbah-ul-Haq

___South Africa

Loots Bosman
Mark Boucher
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis (most $$$)
Justin Kemp
Albie Morkel
Makhaya Ntini
Shaun Pollock
Ashwell Prince
Graeme Smith
AB de Villiers

___Sri Lanka

Dilhara Fernando
Sanath Jayasuriya
Mahela Jayawardene
Prasanna Jayawardene
Farveez Maharoof
Lasith Malinga
Muttiah Muralitharan
Kumar Sangakkara (most $$$)
Chaminda Vaas
Nuwan Zoysa

___New Zealand

Stephen Fleming
Brendon McCullum
Jacob Oram
Scott Styris
Daniel Vettori (Most $$$)

___West Indies

Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Chris Gayle
Ramnaresh Sarwan

___Bangladesh

Mohammed Ashraful
Mashrafe Mortaza

___Zimababwe

Tatenda Taibu

Most $$$ ... my pedictions...

this list is on wikipedia..

Last edited:

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
Saw that, but take out Haddin and Johnson.

Isn't Shane Bond involved - hence being kicked out of NZ cricket?

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
McCullum, Sangakkara, White, Lee, Sarwan, Sreesanth, Dhoni and Afridi all in the one team please btw.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's what the Delhi-GMR team may look like:
  • Sehwag
  • Gambhir
  • Kaif
  • Mike Hussey
  • Manhas
  • Sangakkara (WK)
  • Praveen Kumar (RMF)
  • Afridi (LBG)
  • Chawla (LBG)
  • RP Singh (LFM)
  • Ishant (RFM)
  • RESERVES: Raina, Dilhara (RFM), Prasanna (WK)

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
My prediction of the Kolkata team, if they stay on (there was some controversy there):
  • Ganguly
  • Gibbs
  • Dhoni (WK)
  • Tewary
  • Mohammed Yousuf
  • Prince
  • Albie Morkel (RM)
  • Tanvir (LM)
  • Warne (LBG)
  • Muralitharan (OB)
  • Munaf (RFM)
  • RESERVES? You decide
That spin pair may shock a few, but I'd say that's appropriate, as there are not much from the Kolkata catchment area to pick. I've even suggested a transfer from the Mumbai catchment.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Australians in the IPL auction Nathan Bracken, Adam Gilchrist, Matthew Hayden, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Simon Katich, Justin Langer, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds, Shane Warne, Cameron White.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/ipl/content/current/story/337819.html

Clarke, Johnson and Haddin chose not to sign up.[/QUOTE]

WTF? Are they nuts, i don't understand why would they do something like that, because they can't join this leauge before three years if i am not wrong.:suprise: