• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Akshar in Tests is a new one. Can't say it has anything else going for it.
Axar was selected once in the test team but didn't make it in the playing XI. I am not saying he'll definitely do well, but we all know what Jadeja can do and what his limitations are, not picking regular wickets in unfavourable conditions is fine, but he can't even restrict the flow of runs because he gets too predictable. Axar has a slightly different approach to his bowling and it'll be interesting to see if he can do what Jadeja can't.

If you talk about Asian conditions, we have many who are ahead of Axar and can perform better on turning tracks, but overseas, you'll either need someone as attacking as Kuldeep or a versatile bowling allrounder like Axar. Jadeja is the other option if not Axar, but it'll be better to give someone else an opportunity and see how it goes.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Has Axar ever actually done anything decent with the bat? The less said about his bowling at a test level, the better.

He shouldn't make the current India D XI imo, Ashwin - Jadeja - Kuldeep - Chahal - Mishra are all better options.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure what you see in Chahal for Tests either, plenty more deserving candidates.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Has Axar ever actually done anything decent with the bat? The less said about his bowling at a test level, the better.
Don't take IPL too seriously. Axar averages 48 with the bat in FC games. He is pretty good for a lower order batsman.

He shouldn't make the current India D XI imo, Ashwin - Jadeja - Kuldeep - Chahal - Mishra are all better options.
Like I said before, we need to look at the conditions, on Asian wickets, there are more guys than you mentioned that can do better than Axar. If we are playing a spinner overseas, there are other factors to look at. Firstly, our lower order is pretty weak, so the team might look at someone who can contribute a little with the bat(and bowl some tidy overs to give a break to the seamers) and in that case we have Jadeja/Ashwin/W Sundar and Axar to choose from. Jadeja and Ashwin have failed terribly when the pitch hasn't favoured them, they don't even do well to support the pacers and bowl tight spells to put pressure on the opposition. Sundar is too raw and hasn't even played enough FC games. The only other option is Axar Patel. A lot of people are judging him by his IPL perfomances and I don't think its fair.

Other option would be to go with an attacking mindset and pick Kuldeep. I think Kuldeep can do well in all conditions, the only problem is that it would have been easier to go with him if the lower order wasn't as bad as it is right now.

Last edited:

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't take IPL too seriously. Axar averages 48 with the bat in FC games. He is pretty good for a lower order batsman.
He didn't do anything worthwhile at international level too with the bat in all the chances he got. If I remember correctly, he Agarkared once getting a series of ducks.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
He didn't do anything worthwhile at international level too with the bat in all the chances he got. If I remember correctly, he Agarkared once getting a series of ducks.
He batted at number 8 and 9, what do you expect? Just batted once at number 5 and got 38. That doesn't prove that he is a quality batsman, but still, without giving a proper opportunity, you can't judge a player. Still a question mark on whether he can do well with the bat at the highest level, but can't just write him off.

He did really well with the ball though(45 wickets in 35 innings at an economy rate of 4.43), Axar and Jadeja have played 5 ODIs together, and in those games, he has picked up 6 wickets with an economy rate of 4.10 and Jadeja picked 3 with an economy rate of 6.53. Again, we don't have enough data here, but my point is that Axar has more to offer with the ball than Jadeja. Battingwise, there isn't much of a difference tbh, Jadeja hardly leaves any impact with the bat despite of being such an experienced player.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Axar averages 48 in a tournament where Jadeja has multiple triple tons.
Again, you are clearly dodging the main point here.

Battingwise, Jadeja hardly leaves an impact, and we are talking about overseas games here, so whether you pick Jadeja or Axar, their role will to contribute 30-40 useful runs every now and then. So there isn't much to choose from between Jadeja and Axar.

When it comes to bowling, just think about Jadeja's effectiveness on tracks that aren't dusty, he hasn't really done well. Even in the IPL, Jadeja bowls in the middle overs and Dhoni just tries to get 2-3 useful overs from him rather than bowling him in the powerplay or other crucial times of the games. On the other hand, Axar provides a bit more flexibility, he bowls in the powerplay and sometimes even in later stages of the game. Do you see MSD showing the same confidence in Jadeja? No, because he is too limited.

I can understand if you feel that he isn't up to the mark at this stage of his career, and I respect your opinion. But I watch a lot of domestic games, even go to the stadiums to see the ranji games(as they are free:D), I certainly feel like that India has 5-6 bowlers who are ahead of Axar when it comes to home conditions, but abroad we need someone who isn't one dimensional and can contribute a bit with the bat. Kuldeep is definitely a better option than him, but we need Saha and Pandya to contribute more with the bat if they want him in the lineup.

cnerd123

likes this
Jadeja has been mediocre in ODIs for some time, but has been solid in playing the containing spinner role in Tests. Plus he's an excellent fielder, and just recently scored valuable runs in England and in the home season against SA and Aus. So he hasn't been poor enough in Tests to lose his spot, let alone to someone who is basically an unproven version of himself.

If we drop Jadeja it should be for a player who brings something different (like Kuldeep), because in terms of what his role is, he's been doing a good job.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Difficult choice between Ashwin and Kuldeep.

Ashwin has looked a little toothless recently and with 4 pacers already in the team, you don't need a holding option as such. On the other hand, his batting could be useful.

Just don't know what he's doing with his bowling tbh. Leggies and what not.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll stick with Ashwin for the moment but it could change maybe 2 Tests into the England series if he isn't performing. He wasn't great in SA but he wasn't awful either. It was certainly disappointing that he didn't step up enough when needed in the 2nd Test in favorable conditions.

Borges

International Regular
Difficult choice between Ashwin and Kuldeep.
The attacking and attractive choice is clearly Kuldeep. Go for it, I say.

As far as this Jadeja is concerned, it's best if we just forget that he exists for the duration of the tour to England. He's not going to be an asset with either his batting or his bowling (for want of a better word)..

rparikh14

School Boy/Girl Captain
In other matters, Shardul Thakur has been picked for the Afghanistan Test. Is he as good as the fast bowlers in the team at present? He's been a tad expensive in LOI but never seen him play first-class.