• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Here comes the IPL rant, the chip on the other shoulder...

England lost that series because their spin bowlers were ****. That is not Strauss' fault.

Besides that, how many England players have missed any International cricket to play IPL so far?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but other than Broad and Buttler, none of the 4-0 squad has ever played an IPL game

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Here comes the IPL rant, the chip on the other shoulder...

England lost that series because their spin bowlers were ****. That is not Strauss' fault.

Besides that, how many England players have missed any International cricket to play IPL so far?
The IPL players this year are probably going to be left out of the Irish internationals.

I do not think you can pin it all on the spinners, the Indian debacle. Some of the batting was piss poor. Strauss and the ECB just care about white ball cricket now and have let the test side turn to ****e.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The IPL players this year are probably going to be left out of the Irish internationals.

I do not think you can pin it all on the spinners, the Indian debacle. Some of the batting was piss poor. Strauss and the ECB just care about white ball cricket now and have let the test side turn to ****e.
IPL is here to stay. It's not going anywhere and its far more powerful than any cricket board can withstand. Blaming Strauss for this is silly.

And major lol at the suggestion that England are **** in tests now because of the focus on ODI cricket

vcs

Your Test side hasn't become ****e, you've had a couple of poor series.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
How about all the young Indian talent being discovered at the IPL?

This season, there are 2 very strong left-handed Indian batsmen coming up the ranks - Nitish Rana and Rishabh Pant. Rana is currently holding the Orange Cap and looks good value. He's almost certainly made the #3 slot at MI his own. Last night, he hit 62 off 34 balls, with 7 6s and no 4s.

Pant, is looking more and more like MSD's heir apparent in the team. Sam Billings just called his 19-year old teammate - the best young player I have ever seen. He's definitely one for the future.

Other young Indian batsmen who've shone this season include Sanju Samson, Manan Vohra and Shreyas Iyer. In the bowling department, Shahbaz Nadeem, older at 27, has the best economy rate in this season's IPL (4.9). Any young Indian bowlers who have been good surprises?

Overall, I feel that the IPL has had a very positive impact on Indian cricket where it serves as a feeder for young talent. Young Indian players can experience professional cricket at an early stage. A young Nitish Rana has been able to gain with Ricky Ponting and Sachin Tendulkar as mentors, and with international talents like Jos Buttler and Lasith Malinga in the nets and the dressing room. They are exposed to fame and money at a young age and this also serves as a useful test - how they perform with the spotlight on them, both positively and negatively. Pant was bought in 2016 by Delhi Daredevils for Rs. 1.9 crores (USD 283k) - probably the most amount of money that has come his way in his short career. By getting to play against the likes of Imran Tahir and Ben Stokes, what better way for the BCCI to select new players for the national team?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The most heartening thing about this year's IPL to me has been the fact that so many of our test players played through the season with various injuries with varying degrees of seriousness but then all of them took time off the IPL to get themselves right. In an age where so many cricket fans outside of India think test cricket's primacy will be lost simply because of India being powerful and running a league like IPL, it is wonderful to see that the players still rate test cricket success as the biggest thing professionally for them. :)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The most heartening thing about this year's IPL to me has been the fact that so many of our test players played through the season with various injuries with varying degrees of seriousness but then all of them took time off the IPL to get themselves right. In an age where so many cricket fans outside of India think test cricket's primacy will be lost simply because of India being powerful and running a league like IPL, it is wonderful to see that the players still rate test cricket success as the biggest thing professionally for them. :)
I think a large part of that has to do with the pay structure that Test players in India get, which while higher than most test countries, should still be higher as per the latest negotiations between the cricketers and the board.

This is how it should be. If test cricketers get paid handsomely, that automatically makes them more secure in what they do. It's just human nature.

When you get paid less and you see a 21 year old nobody make more than you in IPL, it's natural to get insecure and feel the pressure to play IPL.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, there is no real equality in the pay structures between IPL and Test Cricket even today. And the players I pointed out where all automatic starters in the IPL as well. There was enough cake for them to have and eat. Yet, they prioritized performing for India in tests. The joy is twofold because inspite of half the side carrying major to severe injuries, we still won against a very determined and extremely well prepared side and we did it because the players prioritized test performances for their country over IPL performances for their franchise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Which players? Pujara never plays IPL. Some bowlers were far too injured to play after so many tests I would think. IPL is not exactly a cake walk. You play through injury and you can be taken to the cleaners.

Daemon

Which players? Pujara never plays IPL. Some bowlers were far too injured to play after so many tests I would think. IPL is not exactly a cake walk. You play through injury and you can be taken to the cleaners.
Literally half the team

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratters makes a decent point that the players couldn't have refused to play the tests. That's a straight ticket to saying goodbye to your international career.

Having played those tests and picking up some injuries as is always likely after such a long season, they didn't have much of a choice but to eschew playing in the IPL.

HB's point is also valid in the sense that you could see that all the players, including the fast bowlers, gave their all in the tests, perhaps knowing that this would increase their chances of picking up said injuries.

Daemon

Yeah look I'm not saying it was incredibly noble and unheard of for them to rest and skip a few games but it's just nice to see that they didn't jeopardise their international career by playing on for money and risking burnout.