• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually think @indiaholic is right in that the main problem is that it's barely used, and as such reeks as a kind of desperation when it is. West Indies using it in tight chases during the Under 19 World Cup really rubbed me the wrong way, because it's not like it was something they employed in other scenarios, and on at least one occassion was employed when the batsman wasn't even really backing up too far but had rather just started backing up assuming the bowler was going to actually bowl the thing.

Losing your wicket because you think there's a run on a fielder's arm when there's only 0.92 of a run is also disproportionate but no-one other than maybe me wants to change the penalty for that.

If bowlers were confident in doing it whenever batsmen starting leaving a bit early I think it'd be accepted a lot more, and as a result batsmen would just stop backing up before they saw the ball released (which is fine IMO). But as it is now, it tends to manifest itself in tight situations when the stakes get higher more than anything else, and that sucks.
afaik that's covered in the rules though, and hence should be not out. You know the whole "reasonably expected to have released the ball" thing (I'm paraphrasing). In which case it should rub you the wrong way, because it should be not out.

srbhkshk

International Captain
"reasonably" is just not the way you can define it and expect no controversies though. I reasonably expect the bowler to release the ball once he's agreed to come to the ground previous evening. If it's subjective you are always gonna have conflicting opinions.

TheJediBrah

I think you have to really stretch to claim that it's subjective to that degree. Obviously laws of any kind shouldn't be vulnerable to subjectivity but in that case it's pretty clear what it means IMO, ie. you don't have to watch the ball right out of the bowlers hand, just don't leave your crease until the point where the bowler would normally release the ball.
I realise that if it were a close call it would be very difficult for the umpires to make a decision using that law, and that is an issue, but some of the examples that have occurred were not close at all, and should clearly have been not out.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Did he seriously do that twice? :laugh:

One would think you'd be careful once you have had a lifeline like that.

vcs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If he does not give up on this white ball fetish, I fear we are gonna forever lose him as a test batsman. :( His output post 2016 when he started to say he wanted to get back into the ODI side is what has cost him his test batting skills, IMO.

Plus, he DID bat at 4 for us in 2015 and sucked the momentum out of our batting innings quite a few times.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think Ishant is just trolling at this point, don't think even he believes he is getting anywhere close to the one day side.

Rahane is a weird story, I always thought he will eventually become a good ODI player after seeing that crazy hundred of him in IPL, but he's really a 00s ODI player and does not have the game to make the lower middle order with our top three set in stone.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Ishant is just trolling at this point, don't think even he believes he is getting anywhere close to the one day side.

Rahane is a weird story, I always thought he will eventually become a good ODI player after seeing that crazy hundred of him in IPL, but he's really a 00s ODI player and does not have the game to make the lower middle order with our top three set in stone.
He could have made it as an opener. There was a time when I felt it would benefit us best to have Rahane and Dhawan open, and let Rahane go bang bang and have MSD bat at 4 and Rohit at 5 and have Rohit take on the spinners in the middle. But once Rohit hit his purple patch opening, all of that was out of the window. I actually think Shreyas, Rahul, Pandya, Jaddu is a pretty good and strong middle order for India in ODIs. As long as we find a good #6 and that is where I feel we should give Suryakumar Yadav a go. One of the very few players who can go from ball 1 and has the skillset to bat against all types of bowling in case of a collapse, even if he is not going to be very consistent.

If Vijay Shankar showed the required consistency with the bat, he can be an option at #6 as well. 4 was way too high for him.