• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I totally hate the Dhoni idolization in Indian cricket, more than the Sachin God Of Cricket nonsense even. No reflection on the man himself, he carried himself impeccably, but **** if fans and worse yet players that have succeeded him haven't created this mythological, indestructible aura around him, as if the last five yrs of his career never happened.

Anyway, I'm excited for this series. Virtually the only international contest I don't mind staying up for through godforsaken hours these days. Pant will be missed, he'll forever be the BG Trophy talisman, but I'm looking forward to what the remaining dregs can do.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni as a captain was finished in 2011-2012. Who can forget his whitewash defeats vs England and Australia. Then he even lost to England at home. He overstayed for yrs as a captain as well as a player to the detriment of all.

For me, he was only great for about 6 years (2005-11) and well below par for 8 long years. I really don't see him as an Indian great neither as a player nor captain when you judge him for his entire career!

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
^Yeah, what an asshole :laugh:

Pandya tying himself in knots there, Mr. I'm From The Black Side overanalyzing things beyond his intellectual paygrade.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think they fear losing too much which could be due to pressure from fanbase. That was the reason why Dhoni's approach became so terrible towards the end. It's like trying to delay taking risk in the hope that something good will happen longer we wait in the game. This is in sharp contrast to England's approach where they clearly go with the mindset that they don't mind losing
Dont think Dhoni’s decline was due to a fear of losing - that would imply it was largely mental. He genuinely couldn’t put away decent bowling and struggled to rotate strike properly which was previously a key facet of his game.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He also never stopped believing in his much-diminished abilities. Still thought he could pull off last over miracles but invariably left it too late. Sadly, noone in Indian cricket had the courage to take him aside and say boss, forget your past feats, you need to be a little more proactive now.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dont think Dhoni’s decline was due to a fear of losing - that would imply it was largely mental. He genuinely couldn’t put away decent bowling and struggled to rotate strike properly which was previously a key facet of his game.
His hiding down the order rather than playing up at #4 where he could still have been very useful was because of fear of losing IMO. In his last ODI, he batted at what, #8?

Daemon

His hiding down the order rather than playing up at #4 where he could still have been very useful was because of fear of losing IMO. In his last ODI, he batted at what, #8?
I think that was perhaps from an overestimation of his own abilities to finish an innings.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We are obviously speculating a bit here. Reason I think it was fear of losing rather than his confidence in finishing is because he didn't play risky shots even when situations demanded it.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni always liked to play it safe..

Playing it safe comes from the fear of losing.

Contrary to popular opinion, Dhoni was mostly a defensive player and captain. Who can forget his 9-2/10-1 field setting against Australia at home in the 4th test in 2008... which led to a historic win. He was always defensive first.. playing it safe first... setting defensive fields against Kallis when SA were in deep trouble and thus allowing Kallis to score a freebie hundred in the final cape town test which denied India a series win in South Africa in 2010/11. His defensive style of captaincy got ruthlessly exposed from that point onwards in 2011.

G. S. Kohli

International Vice-Captain
I can't believe Joginder Sharma hasn't retired yet tbf.
A cop by Profession
I never forget his Death over spell vs Pakistan - Pak need 6 to win off 5 took the wicket of Misbah as IND beat pak in 2007 world cup

Last edited:

G. S. Kohli

What A great match result wise saurashtra vs Punjab QF ranji trophy

Parth R bhut #9 hits 110 & 51 & took 8 wkts in the absence of Jadoo.

Also Andhra Pradesh vs Madhya pradesh game thriller were MP won

Karnataka
Bengal
Saurashtra
MP

Top 4 in ranji Semi above

Daemon

Dhoni was mostly a defensive player and captain. Who can forget his 9-2/10-1 field setting against Australia at home in the 4th test in 2008... which led to a historic win. He was always defensive first.. playing it safe first... setting defensive fields against Kallis when SA were in deep trouble and thus allowing Kallis to score a freebie hundred in the final cape town test which denied India a series win in South Africa in 2010/11. His defensive style of captaincy got ruthlessly exposed from that point onwards in 2011.
Defensive captain for sure, but not a defensive batsman until his decline.

His defensive captaincy was pretty handy in ODIs where he was a master of damage control with limited bowling resources.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Pretty sure these guys have some obscure clause written into their contracts that prevents them from quitting until sponsors, in cahoots with the BCCI obviously, have squeezed the last bit of utility they have to offer. Think Kohli's going to just up and quit or be dropped? Hah!

G. S. Kohli

I wonder why we have Irani trophy again koz last one in Oct 2022.
Now in March ROI vs MP

RoI squad: Hanuma Vihari (Captain), Mayank Agarwal, Priyank Panchal, Abhimanyu Easwaran, Yash Dhull, Sarfaraaz Khan, Yashasvi Jaiswal, K Upendra Yadav, Jayant Yadav, Saurabh Kumar, R Sai Kishore, Mukesh Kumar, Umran Malik, Kuldeep Sen, Arzan Nagwaswalla

MP team :

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I wonder why we have Irani trophy again koz last one in Oct 2022.
Now in March ROI vs MP

RoI squad: Hanuma Vihari (Captain), Mayank Agarwal, Priyank Panchal, Abhimanyu Easwaran, Yash Dhull, Sarfaraaz Khan, Yashasvi Jaiswal, K Upendra Yadav, Jayant Yadav, Saurabh Kumar, R Sai Kishore, Mukesh Kumar, Umran Malik, Kuldeep Sen, Arzan Nagwaswalla

MP team :
The Oct Irani trophy was backlog from 21-22 which couldn't be played because of Covid.