• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xix2565

International Debutant
Name me 1 Team that has kept same top 3 for decade . You can give historical examples from other team too.
That's not the point, it's just that basic doomposting is bad because it requires zero thought to say. I'd rather read something substantial than the same old crying.

girish117

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I am not sure if some of these reactions are coming coz of yesterday's game but we have a fine ODI team atm. That pitch was crazy, our bowlers should've closed it but Sen gave away 2 sixes and Chahar has no tools to bowl with the older ball.

Rohit is a bit out of form but Kohli did well in the T20 WC and is looking good atm. Gill might be a better choice than Dhawan IMO but we should be more concerned about some about fitness of Bumrah, Washi and Jaddu. Washi and Jaddu can add a lot of balance to the team along with Hardik while Bumrah is our best death bowler. Batting looks fine, Rohit has done great things in white ball cricket and should be given some space.
welcome back from coma.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Come on now, this is just bad faith nonsense because of WC/ICC trophy losses. Make a point that isn't "Oh we lost so **** everyone off" with no thought involved.
But ICC knockouts are literally the only games that matter in white ball cricket, especially these last 15 years. ODIs are a much reduced currency compared to the 90s and before when every game seemed relevant. If a certain combination has failed repeatedly at big events and more importantly has patently not kept up with the rhythms of the global game, then yes they do deserve to be ****ed off.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In this one, Jarrod Kimber hints at picking bits and pieces players as the reason why India fails (apart from other things). We don't play a solid #7 (it's Axar or Ashwin) so the top order doesn't go on attack mode. I don't know if there is causation strictly but not playing 7 proper batsmen to accommodate 6th bowling option is definitely a problem.

Xix2565

International Debutant
But ICC knockouts are literally the only games that matter in white ball cricket, especially these last 15 years. ODIs are a much reduced currency compared to the 90s and before when every game seemed relevant. If a certain combination has failed repeatedly at big events and more importantly has patently not kept up with the rhythms of the global game, then yes they do deserve to be ****ed off.
Overreacting over small sample sizes is not the brilliant plan you seem to think it is. It's one thing to say the Indian team should embrace new strategies and pick/back players based on that if certain bad patterns are repeating, it's another to say the general performance across bilaterals outside of WCs is useless data for people to judge players. And there really was no need to defend a post that just wanted to cry about losing without really giving much thought beyond the surface.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Overreacting over small sample sizes is not the brilliant plan you seem to think it is. It's one thing to say the Indian team should embrace new strategies and pick/back players based on that if certain bad patterns are repeating, it's another to say the general performance across bilaterals outside of WCs is useless data for people to judge players. And there really was no need to defend a post that just wanted to cry about losing without really giving much thought beyond the surface.
Small sample size ??
2014 WT20, 2016 WT20, 2017 ICC CT , 2019 WC , 2021 WT20, 2022 WT20

6 successive failures are small sample size.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Small sample size ??

Yes, because for the most part this is based off losing knockout matches rather anything deeper like what Jarrod is exploring in his little series on YT. At least he's trying to understand why unlike most posts here.

Sunil1z

International Regular
Yes, because for the most part this is based off losing knockout matches rather anything deeper like what Jarrod is exploring in his little series on YT. At least he's trying to understand why unlike most posts here.
And please check the performance of our top order in these matches . Repeated failures

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
In this one, Jarrod Kimber hints at picking bits and pieces players as the reason why India fails (apart from other things). We don't play a solid #7 (it's Axar or Ashwin) so the top order doesn't go on attack mode. I don't know if there is causation strictly but not playing 7 proper batsmen to accommodate 6th bowling option is definitely a problem.

since 2016 Ashwin has played 1 odi and 3 t20 as a number 7 batsman

Patel has 12 odis and 23 t20s in the same time period. many of it is because Jadeja was missing or we were playing a reserve team. Patel also averages 33 with a sr of 124 in odis in that time. in t20s it is 19 and 164. Santner, Hasaranga, Wasim, Curran, Agar, Holder, Perera, Pretorius, Brathwaite, Phehlukwayo, Nawaz, Ali, Parnell all have worse records than him in the same position in t20s before you call Patel’s record bad

every team fearlessly plays a bowling all-rounder at 7 because they know the importance of 6 bowlers but India is this one team that has a paranoid stigma to not do that and instead fans want to play 90s cricket with a lot of part timers to roll their arms over and 7 batsmen because the other batsmen can’t do their job reliably in pressure situations and the other bowlers are the worst tailenders among all countries

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Small sample size ??

i don’t think we failed in 2022, they did as well as you would expect them to with that poor team. 2014 also feels harsh when they did make finals, can make a case for 2019 also being bad luck due to the reserve day

Xix2565

International Debutant
And please check the performance of our top order in these matches . Repeated failures
Again, surface level nitpicking based on lol sample size. I don't think you get it, I'm all for changes and improvement to the point of potentially not having any of Rohit/Shikhar/Virat not starting or even in the side for the ODI WC and the T20 WC, but you've not said anything constructive about what are the deeper issues and how they can be worked on.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think our issues started when Raina fell away and Rohit and Virat stopped bowling. Until then the MSD philosophy of at least 4 of the 7 batsmen being able to bowl decently plus a keeper and two of the bowlers being able to tonk well served us well.

Sehwag, Yuvraj, Raina, Sachin/Sourav, MSD himself, Harbhajan, Zak were all good coz they enabled the side to play with that setup.

When Rohit came in, I remember him and Raina used to bowl a LOT for us in ODIs. Virat was utilized a lot by MSD too.