• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket Dhaba

Best thread name

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In 2021, India won tests in Australia, England and South Africa. Was this the best ever year for Indian test cricket? There were some great wins in early 70s so there may be a challenger year there.

Anyhow what a great transformation of this team. As fans we now start every test with an expectation of win irrespective of where we are playing. Need to nail down NZ in their backyard now.
Did in 2009.
Failed in 2014 & 2020

Just that these tours are less frequent. Once every 6 yrs on average. So next nz tour might not be until 2025-26

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
In 1971- India had 1st ever series wins both in WI (1-0) and in Eng (1-0).

In 2021- 50 years later India is close to having won in all 3 of Aus, Eng and SA.

India were minnows until the 1960s. I would say they only developed into a decent cricket nation after the mid-60s with the emergence of the spin quartet and then the emergence of the original fab 4 from the early 70s.

Last edited:

ma1978

International 12th Man
In 1971- India had 1st ever series wins both in WI (1-0) and in Eng (1-0).

In 2021- 50 years later India is close to having won in all 3 of Aus, Eng and SA.

India were minnows until the 1960s. I would say they only developed into a decent cricket nation after the mid-60s with the emergence of the spin quartet and then the emergence of the original fab 4 from the early 70s.
who is the original Fab Four? Gavaskar, Viseanath, Amarnath andVengsarkar

four great batsmen

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As far as this series itself goes, I think we were always expecting our bowling to carry us given we were refusing to move on from Purane. Its amazing how similar this series has been to the 2006 series where Dravid and Sachin batted like ghosts of themselves and were criticized even by the mildest of critics and regular yes-men in the media. I think whoever did bat for us did not apply themselves to the levels they did against Australia in Australia or even against England in England. Daemon pointed out the 2nd half of our 2nd innings at Jo'burg is where it all started to unravel and I agree. Our 3rd innings batting in both tests had a lot of air of "200 is enough" and they just did not want it as badly as they did in Australia. But all that said, given that the batting was expected to be weak, I think the loss of Siraj is what hit us hard. Playing with basically 10 players, and still expecting to defend 240 there at Joburg was not a great effort and somehow the old crappy 2 4s an over nostrils turned up here at Cape Town instead of the new and improved we have seen since the pandemic.

I hope Ishant can find his best form somehow as I feel he still adds a point of difference to our attack that others do not. An attack of Ishant, Bumrah, Siraj and Shardul seems ideal for most conditions in SENA. Ishant has always made a difference in swinging tracks, so I hope he is back in some sort of form for the England test. In the shorter term, it puts a lot of pressure on us for the WTC and we will need to win a lot of games. Hopefully it sees the return of the committed and disciplined sides we saw in England and Australia and not the ones who seemed to be looking to finish games in a hurry that we saw here.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Bitching Bot:

17 wickets in a day ....

I should moan about it, but wait, let me check the venue first.

It's Hobart!

I'll just talk about the quality of bowling then and ignore the fact that the pitch has more grass than DC Boon's chest hair. :ph34r:

PS: I loved watching the Hobart game so far and nothing wrong with the pitch IMO. Just calling out hippos! Where are you at Michael Vaughan?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So Ahmedabad pick up Hardik, Rashid Khan and Gill. Hardik expected to be captain.

And Lucknow picked up Rahul, Stoinis and Bishnoi. Rahul is expected to be the captain.

Gotta say I am surprised the Goenka buffoon did not pick up Steve Smith given his manlove for him.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
So Ahmedabad pick up Hardik, Rashid Khan and Gill. Hardik expected to be captain.

And Lucknow picked up Rahul, Stoinis and Bishnoi. Rahul is expected to be the captain.

Gotta say I am surprised the Goenka buffoon did not pick up Steve Smith given his manlove for him.
Hardik and Rahul are not captaincy material. May be they can pull something off with a good support staff.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
There's that Down Underdog thing on Sony if you have the stomach for it. Personally feel the series should've been left to live on youtube and in general memory (right!). No amount of incessant background music playing over the self-pitying rags-to-riches narrative typical of Indian productions can compare. The series was great as it happened; Gavaskar bitching about people writing India off, as they had every right to do after Adelaide, and then gloating when the victory happened, is not. Cheapens the whole thing.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There's that Down Underdog thing on Sony if you have the stomach for it. Personally feel the series should've been left to live on youtube and in general memory (right!). No amount of incessant background music playing over the self-pitying rags-to-riches narrative typical of Indian productions can compare. The series was great as it happened; Gavaskar bitching about people writing India off, as they had every right to do after Adelaide, and then gloating when the victory happened, is not. Cheapens the whole thing.
Tried watching first episode which is about Adelaide. After 20 off 60 minutes they had only completed discussion of Prithvi Shaw's wicket in 1st over of the match. Too much useless chatter

Teja.

Global Moderator
Would have loved Ashes 2005 production quality documentary. This doesn't sound great.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Would have loved Ashes 2005 production quality documentary. This doesn't sound great.
Tried watching first episode which is about Adelaide. After 20 off 60 minutes they had only completed discussion of Prithvi Shaw's wicket in 1st over of the match. Too much useless chatter

Its Sony. So lets blame @Athlai