• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian attack on par with Aussies says Cairns and Fleming

wahindiawah

Banned
Indian attack on par with Aussies says Cairns and Fleming
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is an audio clip of an interview by Cris Cairns in which he has said that the current Indian bowling attack is at par with the Australian attack. Many International TV commentators have also made similar comments very recently. What do you think about it ? Does the current Indian bowling attack combined with a strong Indian batting line-up pose a serious threat to Australia's aim of retaining the world champion title ? what if India drops Mongia and adds another bowler like Kumble or Agarkar ? would that make the bowling even more better ?

www.rediff.com/wc2003/200...cairns.asx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fleming puts Indian bowling attack on par with Australia's

After his team's demolition by the Indian pacemen, New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming was Friday forced to put them on par with the Australian bowling attack. "I am impressed with your left-armers. They are very handy," said Fleming whose side is all but out of contention of the World Cup after the 7-wicket thrashing by India. "Your fifth bowler is a worry but it's the same with Australia. At the moment the main bowlers are providing Sourav Ganguly with some good options," he said and then went about praising left-arm seamer Ashish Nehra.

"Nehra in bowling particularly well and he has good rhythm. He is deceptively skiddy and quick," Fleming said about the bowler who was responsible for putting the brakes on New Zealand's scoring. "He was outstanding. Zaheer Khan got the wickets but I thought Nehra bowled a fantastic spell." New Zealand's fate in the World Cup now hangs on the result of Saturday's match between Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. If Sri Lanka win, New Zealand are out of the competition. Fleming conceded his side had never looked like a serious contender in the tournament.

"We never got the feeling we were in a rhythm to win the World Cup. It's a tough campaign and we were too stuttering. We never really got into the stride," he said. New Zealand sneaked into the Super Six stage after rains forced South Africa and Sri Lanka to split points in the last league game in Pool B. "Last time we were pretty close to packing our bags. I guess we should now go through the same routine," Fleming said. New Zealand were skittled for 146 in 45.1 overs after being surprisingly put into bat by the Indian skipper. Fleming said he would have elected to bat had he won the toss.

"I would have batted. There were cracks on the strip and if we had a good score, it would have been tough for the Indians to chase," he said. "It wasn't a collapse. It was bad form all through. We didn't give our 100 per cent on such an occasion and such a brilliant batting pitch. I have no answer for it except being very disappointed." Fleming acknowledged the efforts of Rahul Dravid and Mohammad Kaif, who saw their side through with their 129-run unfinished partnership, but said the match was won by the Indian bowlers. "I have no doubt it was the Indian bowlers," he said. "When you are chasing 147, even when early wickets are lost, the batsmen can take their time to reassess the situation, judge the bowling and then go about scoring.

"Having said that, Kaif and Dravid batted very well. Dravid is a quality player and both had a good opportunity to get into rhythm," he said. Kaif and Dravid came together when India were in trouble at 21 for three in the fifth over. Dravid, who finished unbeaten on 53, could have been out for one had wicketkeeper Brendon McCullum not dropped a straight forward chance. Kaif, who made 68 not out, was also lucky in the early part of the innings when a few uppish drives just eluded the fielders. "Dropped catches are always disappointing, more so because it involved Rahul. But 146 was never enough. To win the game, you needed to take all the chances. "As for that dropped chance by Brendon, I could not really see it because I had tears in my eye," he said.

rediff.com/wc2003/2003/mar/14flem.htm

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For someone who's quite widely regarded as the best Captain around, he's not a very good judge!

There is no way anyone could realistically compare the 2 attacks, and I'm sure the majority of Indians would agree there.

I wonder if this has anything to do with their poor performance with the bat the other day?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
But in that article when did Fleming ever say that India was on par with Australia? he just said that they have a similar problem with a 5th bowling option.

Chris Cairns did but then again he's said alot of stupid things during this tournament i.e. Ponting a bad captain, traps for Tendulkar, dangerous form around the corner..

Maybe he should have stayed clear of the Tiger Tiger nightclub.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If you're talking form, then the India attack does compare favourably but is pipped by the Aussies attack right now. If you're talking performance over a long period of time, well there's no comparison. I thought Zaheer Khan bowled absolutely brilliantly against NZ but on other occasions, he's been belted. Nehra bowled superbly against England but then went for 72 off his ten (next game was it??). And Srinath is, well, Srinath; consistent as always.

Having said that, it's nice to see the Indian team with a little aggressive fast bowling firepower. I saw Nehra got clocked at 149km/h this tournament and Khan has unleased a 147km/h ball too. That's far from slow and to be honest, it's probably the main reason India have done so well thusfar. The batting (well Sachin anyway) has been good as usual but these pacers needed to step-up a lot, especially given that The Turbanator hasn't fired yet.

Can they challenge Australia? For sure. To do it, they'll need both quick bowlers bowling well and then someone or a few someones to bat around Sachin.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tim said:
But in that article when did Fleming ever say that India was on par with Australia? he just said that they have a similar problem with a 5th bowling option.
Reading it again, I see what you mean!!

I'd also like to know who the "Many International TV commentators" who have also made similar comments are?

Top_Cat

I second that, Marc. I'm interested to know who else has said anything of the sort.

Simon

considering flemming is such a good smart captain, i cant believe he would say something as stupid as that.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the media as good as they are have typically twisted the comments as close as they can to what they want to be read.

Fleming never in that article stated India's bowling attack was on par with Australia's he just made a reference saying that they had similar 5th bowling option problems.

It was Cairns who made the statement & in the last 2 weeks i'd have to say he's totally lost the plot with some of things he's said in the media. Its ok to publically target players or criticise them just as long as you're performing yourself & Cairns never came close to that in the World Cup.

masterblaster

International Captain
I dont think the Indian attack is on par with McGrath, Lee, Gillespie, Bichel, Hogg yet.

These boys (Zaheer, Nehra) are still very young, and have a lot of potential.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
At the moment I would rate Harbajan as a better spinner than Hogg but Harbajan needs to start performing again.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
age_master said:
the indian attack combined is not as fast as Lee or as accurate as McGrath :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe not, but the following figures are not a laughing matter either:

J Srinath Ind 9 matches 271 runs 15 wickets 18.07 average 4/30 best 29.67 strike rate 3.65 r.p.o

Zaheer Khan Ind 9 matches 293 runs 15 wickets 19.53 average 4/42 best 28.80 strike rate 4.07 r.p.o

A Nehra Ind 7 matches 221 runs 13 wickets 17.00 average 6/23 best 25.00 strike rate 4.08 r.p.o

Harbhajan Singh Ind 8 matches 254 runs 9 wickets 28.22 average 2/28 best 44.89 strike rate 3.77 r.p.o

It's an impressive performance whichever way you look at it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They have bowled well in this Tournament, but there is no way you can compare them favourably with Australia.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
They have bowled well in this Tournament, but there is no way you can compare them favourably with Australia.
Did I? No, I think I know better than to do that. No other attack compares with the Aussies. The way they shrugged aside the loss of first Warne, then Gillespie and to a certain extent Watson, and got on to the business at hand, ie winning matches, is so hugely impressive.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
anilramavarma said:
Did I? No, I think I know better than to do that. No other attack compares with the Aussies. The way they shrugged aside the loss of first Warne, then Gillespie and to a certain extent Watson, and got on to the business at hand, ie winning matches, is so hugely impressive.
Well yes it's impressive how they have coped without Warne and Hogg has done everything asked of him, but when you realise that Australia had Harvey (who is a very good OD bowler) playing instead of Watson (who isn't to be fair) then you see why the 5th bowler problem has mostly been sorted. It stopped after they realised that Symonds is not an all-rounder after he conceeded 110 runs without taking a wicket earlier in the competition.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rik said:
they realised that Symonds is not an all-rounder after he conceeded 110 runs without taking a wicket earlier in the competition.
That doesn't change the fact that Symonds is an allrounder. He's just an out-of-form allrounder :D .

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
That doesn't change the fact that Symonds is an allrounder. He's just an out-of-form allrounder :D .
He's more of a batsman who bowls, he allways has been.

Top_Cat

As someone who watched Symonds belt 206 off the South Australian U/19's a few years ago, I can tell you he was and is a batsman first and foremost. Watching my mates get smacked around by him was awe-inspiring.