• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Top Two ODI batsmen

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Putting down 91-95 as Tendulkar really shows you don't really know much about his career. Didn't become great until he began opening in 1994.
Hazy on the early details (I was in primary school at the time) but he definitely had huge wraps on him well before the India tour in 1998. I even remember seeing news articles on tv about him playing Pakistan while he was a teenager.

Whether he was the best at times is debatable. He did pile on a lot of runs in that early 90s period. Who else was the best between 90 and 95? Anwar? Jones?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Putting down 91-95 as Tendulkar really shows you don't really know much about his career. Didn't become great until he began opening in 1994.
Initially I thought it was an attempt at getting someone to say something against Sachin but then Stephen always says what he thinks, one thing I like about him.

h_hurricane

Jones & Anwar would certainly be close.

Possibly throw Azhar, Aravinda, Jayasuriya, Lara & Martin Crowe in the mix too.
I would say Lara was the best followed by Crowe. Tendulkar was only getting there. Jayasuriya and Aravinda are certainly not in the discussion. Their coming of age happened in WC 1996. Jones was past it around 1991 or so. Anwar was in and out of the team I reckon. I would say Azhar had a good shout to be in top 3 but then he was Azhar. Never knew what to expect from him even in pre match fixing days. Feast or famine player.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who was the best batsman of the early 90s tho? Crowe?
That's what I get for not reading the whole thread.

I'll stick by Crowe. Had a great WC and scored quickly at a high average in that period.

Richards, Crowe, Tendulkar, Ponting, ABDV, Kohli looks about right.

stephen

Who was the best batsman of the early 90s tho? Crowe?
Probably no definitive answer. Jones averaged around 1 run less than Crowe but scored more runs. Top batsmen scored 3000 runs in the early 90s. Late 90s saw a dozen batsmen score more than that. There's more variance in the late 90s batsmen than early 90s where a heap of batsmen averaged around 40 striking between 70 and 80.

stephen

Well if people are arguing Tendulkar being the best in the late 90s based on hundreds scored, Haynes was the best batsman of the late 80s (11 hundreds vs 4 from Viv), though the strike rate difference between Haynes and Richards was pretty big.

trundler

Probably no definitive answer. Jones averaged around 1 run less than Crowe but scored more runs. Top batsmen scored 3000 runs in the early 90s. Late 90s saw a dozen batsmen score more than that. There's more variance in the late 90s batsmen than early 90s where a heap of batsmen averaged around 40 striking between 70 and 80.
Ah, tie between those 2 then. Big fan of Crowe. Think he's massively underrated. Azhar's stats look great with a good SR.

Looks like batting hadn't reached it's high point in the early 90s. Regardless of the harder conditions I don't think teams were maximising run scoring potential with guys like Rameez Raja looking to preserve their wicket at all costs. Teams were apparently content limping to 240.

vcs

Haynes, Saeed Anwar and Sachin were the first to start piling up the centuries relentlessly and prove that your best ODI batsman needs to open the innings. Jayasuriya was similar, but more attacking and therefore hit and miss.

h_hurricane

Well if people are arguing Tendulkar being the best in the late 90s based on hundreds scored, Haynes was the best batsman of the late 80s (11 hundreds vs 4 from Viv), though the strike rate difference between Haynes and Richards was pretty big.
From 1985 to mid 1991(end of Viv's career), Haynes averaged 47 with a strike rate of 67. Viv averaged 42 with a strike rate of 92. He scored some 800 runs less than Desmond in 13 less innings. Even in his declining years, Viv was a dominant force where as Haynes was only one of the best batsmen at that time.

If there was a player who averaged 40 in mid to late 90s with a strike rate of 115 and also scored 6-7 K runs, he would have been rated better than Tendulkar.

stephen

Haynes, Saeed Anwar and Sachin were the first to start piling up the centuries relentlessly and prove that your best ODI batsman needs to open the innings. Jayasuriya was similar, but more attacking and therefore hit and miss.
Interesting, the only time Australia have played their best ODI batsman as an opener is right now where Warner is the best batsman in the side. Traditionally Australia's best ODI batsmen have come in further down the order. Boon at 3, Jones at 3/4, S Waugh at 5 and Border at 4/6, Bevan at 4/6, Ponting at 3, Smith at 4 etc...

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Iirc , Lara , Sachin and Anwar were neck to neck in chasing Haynes record untill their 12th 100. Then Anwar suddenly reached 15 leaving Sachin and Lara behind .

h_hurricane

This. Tendulkar was averaging sub 40 before 1996 world cup.
To add to it, he had a very ordinary 1997 in ODIs. Was averaging 38 early 1998 and just about managed to keep it above 40 after the desert storm. It wasn't until May 1998 when it dropped below 40 for the last time. Lara had been averaging 46-47 all this while and it wasn't until early 2000s when Tendulkar's average crossed Lara's. He had pulled well ahead in the strike rate aspect though.

Last edited: