• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Top Two ODI batsmen

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
To add to it, he had a very ordinary 1997 in ODIs. Was averaging 38 early 1998 and just about managed to keep it above 40 after the desert storm. It wasn't until May 2018 when it dropped below 40 for the last time. Lara had been averaging 46-47 all this while and it wasn't until early 2000s when Tendulkar's average crossed Lara's. He had pulled well ahead in the strike rate aspect though.
You mean 1998?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't say I totally disagree tbh. Tendulkar might have failed in the two finals, but he played several excellent innings in QF/SFs

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Can't say I totally disagree tbh. Tendulkar might have failed in the two finals, but he played several excellent innings in QF/SFs
Yep, even going down to crucial league matches - the dismantling of Wasim, Waqar, Shoaib in *THAT* game was epic. He's played some great knockout knocks too, but of course has failed in two finals - but at the very least has some knockout credentials to his name.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kohli has a big average but I've never accepted that he's better than Tendulkar. Stats have to be taken in context and an average of 60 today isn't worth as much as it sounds when there's at least a dozen batsmen averaging north of 45.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting, the only time Australia have played their best ODI batsman as an opener is right now where Warner is the best batsman in the side. Traditionally Australia's best ODI batsmen have come in further down the order. Boon at 3, Jones at 3/4, S Waugh at 5 and Border at 4/6, Bevan at 4/6, Ponting at 3, Smith at 4 etc...
Would say Junior, Gilly, Hayden and Watto all had long stints as our best ODI bat

sunilz

International Regular
Thank God Gambhir and Yuvraj were not choker like Virat.otherwise we might not have won even WT20 2007 and ODI WC 2007

SkyBlue

U19 Debutant
Sachin still the best for me but Kohli will eventually surpass him. He's not there yet.

Sachin, Kohli, Dhoni, Yuvraj and Rohit, in that order for me at this point.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Any of you that accept any list above without the name Jones in it are deluding yourselves. Jones may not neatly fit into neat 5 year gaps, but he had a reign as clear-as-**** number 1 for a good 5 year stretch where he was the premier ODI batsman. Richards was in decline for the last of those 15 years attributed to him (decline does not mean not-awesome) which was where Jones overtook him. Being ignorant of the first half of ODI history leads to silly claims like Richards was the best for 15 years. He wasn't - He was just so far ahead of the test style ODI play in the early years that it took other players a long time to figure it out and become comparable, but that they did, and they had done so by the mid 80's

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Kohli now or still Sachin?
Hmmmmm...... I would say it's probably Kohli now after this World Cup; but it's extremely close. Anyways, Viv is hands down the best, so the competition is really for the second spot. I would say top 10 Indian ODI batsmen:

1. Virat Kohli
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. M S Dhoni
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Sourav Ganguly
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. Mohammad Azharuddin
8. Shikhar Dhawan
9. Virendra Sehwag
10. Rahul Dravid
Honourable mentions: K Srikanth, Dilip Vengsarkar, Kapil Dev, Gautam Gambhir, Navjot Singh Sidhu.

HouHsiaoHsien

International 12th Man
Hmmmmm...... I would say it's probably Kohli now after this World Cup; but it's extremely close. Anyways, Viv is hands down the best, so the competition is really for the second spot. I would say top 10 Indian ODI batsmen:

1. Virat Kohli
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. M S Dhoni
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Sourav Ganguly
6. Yuvraj Singh
7. Mohammad Azharuddin
8. Shikhar Dhawan
9. Virendra Sehwag
10. Rahul Dravid
Honourable mentions: K Srikanth, Dilip Vengsarkar, Kapil Dev, Gautam Gambhir, Navjot Singh Sidhu.
Pretty much agree with the list

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
His record is better and much more consistent than Yuvi and Azhar. Was phenomenal against spin (especially left arm) and was one of the best players of off side. I love Yuvi, but as pure batsman, you have to put Sourav's monster runs and bulks of century ahead...

Also Fun Fact: I have a soft spot for Yuvraj Singh, as I am literally named after him.