• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India-Pakistan Tour: Indian Squad

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dudeurfriend said:
Azhar is not in the reckoning for a spot in ODI eleven as far as razzaq and afridi are performing......
That is probably why he might get dropped most likely for that U19 All Rounde, can't remember his name but he made his debut recently

Choora

State Regular
My Indian test team:

Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Laxman
Sourav
Tend
Kaarthik
Kumble
Hurb
Pathan
Balaji

ODIs:

Sehwag
Sourav
Tend
Kaif
Dravid
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Bhajji
Pathan
Balaji
Kumble

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hey the challenger teams have been announced. I'm looking forward to seeing who's in form and who isnt.

Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Virender Sehwag have been appointed as captains of the India Senior, India A and India B sides to contest in the Challenger Trophy one-day tournament to be held in Mumbai from February 7. All teams will play each other once before the best two contest in the final at the Wankhede Stadium on February 10.

Barring Sachin Tendulkar, all the first-choice Indian players will feature in the tournament. Lakshmipathy Balaji will return to competitive cricket after a five-month layoff while Ashish Nehra will also be returning after a break.

MS Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel were picked as the three wicketkeepers and each team also includes youngsters who have shone this season. Suresh Raina, Shikhar Dhawan, Robin Uthappa, Ambati Rayudu and Rudra Pratap Singh - all of whom played in the Under-19 World Cup last year - will get a chance to make an impression.

When India Senior take on India A, there is a good chance of Irfan Pathan bowling to his elder brother Yusuf, also an allrounder, who gets a chance after a string of impressive performances in the Ranji Trophy this year.

India Senior
1 Sourav Ganguly (capt), 2 MS Dhoni (wk), 3 Yuvraj Singh, 4 Suresh Raina, 5 Venugopal Rao, 6 Niraj Patel, 7 Irfan Pathan, 8 Anil Kumble, 9 Lakshmipathy Balaji, 10 Gagandeep Singh, 11 Rajesh Pawar, 12 Shikhar Dhawan.

India A
1 Rahul Dravid (capt), 2 Dinesh Karthik (wk), 3 Satyajit Parab, 4 Dheeraj Jadhav, 5 Mohammad Kaif, 6 Dinesh Mongia, 7 Murali Kartik, 8 Ajit Agarkar, 9 Zaheer Khan, 10 Rudra Pratap Singh, 11 Yusuf Pathan, 12 Robin Uthappa.

India B
1 Virender Sehwag (capt), 2 Parthiv Patel (wk), 3 Gautam Gambhir, 4 VVS Laxman, 5 Sridharan Sriram, 6 Rohan Gavaskar, 7 Ramesh Powar, 8 Joginder Sharma, 9 Ashish Nehra, 10 Shib Shankar Paul, 11 Amit Bhandari, 12 Ambati Rayudu.

© Cricinfo

adharcric

International Coach
shoot_me said:
Hey the challenger teams have been announced. I'm looking forward to seeing who's in form and who isnt.

Sourav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid and Virender Sehwag have been appointed as captains of the India Senior, India A and India B sides to contest in the Challenger Trophy one-day tournament to be held in Mumbai from February 7. All teams will play each other once before the best two contest in the final at the Wankhede Stadium on February 10.

Barring Sachin Tendulkar, all the first-choice Indian players will feature in the tournament. Lakshmipathy Balaji will return to competitive cricket after a five-month layoff while Ashish Nehra will also be returning after a break.

MS Dhoni, Dinesh Karthik and Parthiv Patel were picked as the three wicketkeepers and each team also includes youngsters who have shone this season. Suresh Raina, Shikhar Dhawan, Robin Uthappa, Ambati Rayudu and Rudra Pratap Singh - all of whom played in the Under-19 World Cup last year - will get a chance to make an impression.

When India Senior take on India A, there is a good chance of Irfan Pathan bowling to his elder brother Yusuf, also an allrounder, who gets a chance after a string of impressive performances in the Ranji Trophy this year.

India Senior
1 Sourav Ganguly (capt), 2 MS Dhoni (wk), 3 Yuvraj Singh, 4 Suresh Raina, 5 Venugopal Rao, 6 Niraj Patel, 7 Irfan Pathan, 8 Anil Kumble, 9 Lakshmipathy Balaji, 10 Gagandeep Singh, 11 Rajesh Pawar, 12 Shikhar Dhawan.

India A
1 Rahul Dravid (capt), 2 Dinesh Karthik (wk), 3 Satyajit Parab, 4 Dheeraj Jadhav, 5 Mohammad Kaif, 6 Dinesh Mongia, 7 Murali Kartik, 8 Ajit Agarkar, 9 Zaheer Khan, 10 Rudra Pratap Singh, 11 Yusuf Pathan, 12 Robin Uthappa.

India B
1 Virender Sehwag (capt), 2 Parthiv Patel (wk), 3 Gautam Gambhir, 4 VVS Laxman, 5 Sridharan Sriram, 6 Rohan Gavaskar, 7 Ramesh Powar, 8 Joginder Sharma, 9 Ashish Nehra, 10 Shib Shankar Paul, 11 Amit Bhandari, 12 Ambati Rayudu.

© Cricinfo
My Lineups:
India Seniors
1 S. Ganguly*, 2 S. Dhawan, 3 Y. Venugopal Rao, 4 Y. Singh, 5 S. Raina,
6 N. Patel, 7 M. Dhoni+, 8 I. Pathan, 9 A. Kumble, 10 L. Balaji, 11 G. Singh
India A
1 D. Jadhav, 2 S. Parab, 3 D. Mongia, 4 M. Kaif, 5 R. Dravid*, 6 R. Uthappa,
7 D. Karthik+, 8 A. Agarkar, 9 M. Kartik, 10 Z. Khan, 11 R. Singh
India B
1 V. Sehwag*, 2 G. Gambhir, 3 V. Laxman, 4 S. Sriram, 5 R. Gavaskar,
6 A. Rayudu, 7 P. Patel+, 8 J. Sharma, 9 R. Powar, 10 A.Bhandari, 11 A. Nehra

should be quite exciting!

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Salvi had been out injured most of the season...he has returned only recently and he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary...
Mishra dunno...

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
I don't understand how Yuvraj Singh is always automatically selected into the squad . For the past season or two, he hasn't done anything worth mentioning in One-days but it's as if there's no pressure on him to play well. I hope he does something during this tour to get back some respect. Otherwise, he can just sit there and keep calling himself the "Punjab puttar"

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I would like to see Balaji back in action. It would be too dull without him
It would be painful with him, particularly in ODI's. Average of 40 in Tests and ODI's, no 5-wicket haul, can't bat for toffees, drops easy catches....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
What's happened to Mishra and Salvi? Are they no longer regarded as international prospects?
Mishra plays for Haryana, which is a lower league side. The selectors often ignore the lower league, though some crucial questions may be answered there. You could find an all-rounder, a tearaway fast bowler, or a long-term replacement for Anil Kumble in that league.

Salvi just has had one match in the whole season and has been out due to injury. When he's fully fit, he's quite effective and better than those medium-pace excuses who have played in the Indian team for so long, but that's the problem- he's never fully fit these days.
I don't understand how Yuvraj Singh is always automatically selected into the squad . For the past season or two, he hasn't done anything worth mentioning in One-days but it's as if there's no pressure on him to play well. I hope he does something during this tour to get back some respect. Otherwise, he can just sit there and keep calling himself the "Punjab puttar"
None of the ODI regulars (who are supposed to be better ODI players than Laxman) really deserve a permanent place in the ODI side, particularly ahead of Laxman.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
should be quite exciting!
Each Challenger Trophy begins with a bang and ends with a poof. The Challenger series needs to be longer, played on better pitches and fields, in a larger ground, with emphasis on fielding, runnign between wickets, all-rounders and above all, strategies. Insted, we still find slow or flat pitches, with Ganguly or Tendulkar bowling the bulk of the overs and looking world-beaters. Then fans complain about the lack of ODI tournament victories.

Ideally, these should be the lineups-
INDIA SENIORS
  • Dhawan/Patel (NEVER send an opener down)
  • Dhoni
  • Ganguly
  • Raina
  • Venugopal
  • Yuvraj
  • Pathan (for late overs attack, in big shots)
  • Balaji (hit sixes, take the old ball)
  • Pawar
  • Kumble (must get Test fields)
  • Gagandeep
INDIA A-
  • Uthappa (younger, better fielder)
  • Jadhav
  • Kaif
  • Dinesh Mongia (why?)
  • Dravid
  • Dinesh Karthik
  • Yusuf Pathan (Sodhi was better!)
  • Murali Karthik
  • Agarkar
  • Zaheer
  • RP Singh
INDIA B-
  • Sehwag (must bowl 7 overs)
  • Gambhir
  • VVS Laxman (still one of the best ODI batsmen for India of late)
  • Sriram
  • Rohan (has-been)/Rayudu (over-hyped, Ni**** Shetty left out)
  • Joginder (needs batting opportunities, but why not JP Yadav?)
  • Powar (needs a number 7 and 10 overs)
  • Patel (over-hyped)
  • Bhandari
  • Nehra (hopefully a better fielder)
  • Steamship (worth a try, by all means!)
Ranadeb Bose has been in phenomenal form, but if he's left out due to fielding, the selectors have made a good move.

Why is Jai Prakash Yadav not picked? There is no reason to leave him out. He's a hard-hitting batsman, a medium-pacer and in good form with the ball. He can give some of the so-called fast bowlers playing for India a good run for their money and can make an Indian team on his bowling. He's a lot more experienced and has practised both skills more than Joginder Sharma, who seems to be a one-day misfit and needs more matches to be considered an India prospect. Even Reetinder Sodhi was left out for nothing- his battign and bowling have improved since Intikhab Alam took over.

Ni**** Shetty of Mumbai is one of the better OD players in all of India's domestic scene. He has an average of over 50 and a strike rate of over 80. With Dinesh Mongia not quite a limited-overs player and Rohan Gavaskar and Ambati Rayudu flattering to deceive so often, the Mumbai batsman deserves a chance. Mithun Manhas has been another player who's unlucky to miss out. Are selectors picking the teams as a mere formality, based on reputation? Looks like that's the case.

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Arjun said:
It would be painful with him, particularly in ODI's. Average of 40 in Tests and ODI's, no 5-wicket haul, can't bat for toffees, drops easy catches....
Obviously, Arjun, you're not a big fan of Balaji and I have to disagree with you my man.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I used to be a big fan of Balaji till his debut series against NZ- that's when I got to see him bowl- slow, short and diagonal.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Dasa said:
You must be insane. Yuvraj but no Laxman? Also, I hardly think India will beat Pakistan with ease...
In tests, it will be easy. It was easy in Pakistan, it will be easier in India. I predict 2-0 or 2-1 at worst.

In ODIs, it will absolutely be a different story. Pakistan will probably win it. Best case for India is to only lose 2-3.

Gangster

U19 12th Man
Arjun said:
I used to be a big fan of Balaji till his debut series against NZ- that's when I got to see him bowl- slow, short and diagonal.
I'm not surprised a guy from Mumbai doesn't like Balaji. ****ing northern bias is what it is. No wonder the Indian team has been **** forever. Did you forget how Balaji made the Pakistani team look bad, particularly in the ODIs? And he bowled well with courage and bravado as the stock bowler in the test series. But I bet you want that piece of garbage Ajit Agarkar. If he had been born in the South, he'd never have come near the national team.

shoot_me

School Boy/Girl Captain
Arjun said:
Well, I agree with you about his debut but he has improved by miles. Maybe you missed the Pakistan series and the England tour. You said he dropped easy catches, well where were you during the 3rd test vs Pak when he took 7 wickets in the match and had fielders dropping four catches off his bowling? I'm guessing that's his fault too na :huh:?

adharcric

International Coach
Gangster said:
I'm not surprised a guy from Mumbai doesn't like Balaji. ****ing northern bias is what it is. No wonder the Indian team has been **** forever. Did you forget how Balaji made the Pakistani team look bad, particularly in the ODIs? And he bowled well with courage and bravado as the stock bowler in the test series. But I bet you want that piece of garbage Ajit Agarkar. If he had been born in the South, he'd never have come near the national team.
calm down dude. first of all let me tell you i'm a balaji fan and i wanna see him in this upcoming tour because i liked his fiery, aggresive style and he can be a good bowler if he develops a consistent line and some pace ... but don't talk about him as if he's some great bowler who's being discriminated against, his career bowling averages are quite unimpressive, much more so than agarkar's, so no need to make up a random argument like that ... of course if balaji bowls fantastically (and that means taking lots of wickets, not just bowling with "courage") then you can say whatever you want

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
adharcric said:
calm down dude. first of all let me tell you i'm a balaji fan and i wanna see him in this upcoming tour because i liked his fiery, aggresive style and he can be a good bowler if he develops a consistent line and some pace ... but don't talk about him as if he's some great bowler who's being discriminated against, his career bowling averages are quite unimpressive, much more so than agarkar's, so no need to make up a random argument like that ... of course if balaji bowls fantastically (and that means taking lots of wickets, not just bowling with "courage") then you can say whatever you want
In fact, I think both Agarkar and Balaji should be in the side. Maybe Agarkar should not be in the test side, but definitely in the ODI side, he should be there.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Are you new to the board? I have NEVER supported Agarkar! Small size, big liability! As for making the Pakistani team look bad, don't they always? Balaji looked worse with an average over 40 against them!

Look, South Indian puitches offer little or no bounce. That gives bowlers like Balaji or Shrinivas or Jesuraj an excuse to bowl short repeatedly, because it will roll on to the stumps. Offer a little more bounce as in England, WI, SA, AUS or even SL, they bowl the ball on the bat at a nice pace. Hittable.