• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India A team to England

V Reddy

International Debutant
Tim said:
I can't believe there is even talk of Sehwag being dropped.
His batting in NZ especially in the ODI's where he scored 2 centuries against all odds confirms to me that he's got talent despite being inconsistent on occassions.

He's similar to Jayasuriya, he'll always average around 30-35 because he is so aggressive he's bound to miss out 2 or 3 times and then blaze a big score.
No i didn't say Sehwag should be dropped. I was replying to Rik who was saying that Sehwag shouldn't open and Das should. I was saying that Laxman was not going to be dropped and if Sehwag doesn't open then he can't be in the team.He willl never be dropped from the Indian team. He is too talented to be dropped.

masterblaster

International Captain
Dasgupta was a great choice, but his keeping wasn't great. The Indian selectors have a dillema, and I dont rate Bangar is a decent opening batsman against the likes of Lee, McGrath, Gillespie and co.

And against Australia VVS Laxman CANNOT be dropped at all! (And we all know why not)

My Indian Team:

Gambhir/Das - Depends on form really, but Das has a better technique.

Sehwag - Too classy to be left out

Dravid - Enough Said

Tendulkar - Enough Said

Ganguly - After all he is the captain, and a pretty decent batsman

VVS Laxman - 167 at sydney, 281 at Kolkata, 80 odd at chennai, we all remember now?

Parthiv Patel/Any other keeper in form - We need a keeper

Harbhajan Singh - 32 wickets

Zaheer Khan - Finest Left Armer in the country

Ashish Nehra - Should find the WACA a nice place to bowl at

Javagal Srinath/Aavishkar Salvi - If Srinath has retired, Salvi should get the look in.

Unlucky to miss out:

Anil Kumble (he's a champion but two spinners in Australia ermm......)

Ajit Agarkar (another bon-a-fide champion, but fails to make my cut)

V Reddy

International Debutant
The India A team has started on a bad note. The 3 contreversial players have been picked :!( . Pathan though talented did not have a good season last year. All these have been picked in the same match but it is a uni. game so they should do the job. Balaji has got a wicket now.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
The India-A team has done quite well on this tour. They have pretty much won all the games.

The latest one going on with Surrey has so far gone quite well for the India-A batsman and bowlers alike.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
aussie_beater said:
The India-A team has done quite well on this tour. They have pretty much won all the games.

The latest one going on with Surrey has so far gone quite well for the India-A batsman and bowlers alike.
The standard of the opposition has been poor.

The Surrey game going on at present is a complete waste of time - Surrey are fielding three first teamers - Ali Brown, Jon Batty and Rikki Clarke, who is also the best bowler on show, with Tim Murtagh and some people called Todd, Saker and Dernbach making up the bowling attack.

Scott Newman is captain.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Exactly.
The entire India A tour is simply a waste of time- the counties have ensured that.

I dont understand their motivation though!

We look at the A tour as an opportunity to identify future India stars. All the players are keen to perform on this tour for this reason.
The counties are picking their second elevens, which frankly is quite arrogant. Further, it shows shortsightedness..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not defending the counties here, but what motivation do they have to play a full side?

All that could happen is player fatigue or injury?

I'd love to see regular 'A' team "Test" and "ODI" Series

V Reddy

International Debutant
full_length said:
Exactly.
The entire India A tour is simply a waste of time- the counties have ensured that.

I dont understand their motivation though!

We look at the A tour as an opportunity to identify future India stars. All the players are keen to perform on this tour for this reason.
The counties are picking their second elevens, which frankly is quite arrogant. Further, it shows shortsightedness..
You have to look at their side too. These matches have no meaning for these clubs. They already play 5 days a week. They want to give rest to their players and also don't want to risk injuries to their players in these meaningless matches for them. They want to give chances to second team players and want to see who has it in him to play for a county team.

We should blame the BCCI though as i think the same thing happened last year with the WI 'A' team. From now on they should organise matches only against A teams.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Dont you think it's pretty shortsighted to worry about testing the second ring county player, rather than use this as an opportunity to pick future England batsmen/bowlers?
Isn't this an excellent opportunity for the county players to prove themselves against the second eleven of India? After all some of these guys are going to play for the Indian team pretty soon. Some others will be internationals within two years.
Instead, they are accumulating county stats. If they continue to do this they will only produce more Graeme Hicks and never understand what went wrong.
The India A tour on the other hand was supposed to be an excellent opportunity for us to figure out which of these prolific domestic players actually has it in him to play for the national side. ECB is going the wrong way.

If they are so busy why did they invite India A?
I agree that we also should have known better because WI A also had similar treatment earlier. This has been a total waste of time, and a disappointment. I know that everyone in India was following the A tour, starting from the selection of the team.

If and when they go to India, I'd like to see them play the high school teams. It's not like the A team players' time alone is expendable!

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
IMO, we should do the same thing when their national team comes to India- let them play practice games against second string state teams instead of letting full strength Mumbai, Karnataka or other teams give them value for time.
Perhaps that will knock some sense in.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
It's one of those odd things really. The ECB replaced the "A" Team with the ECB Academy and yet all the players who went to the Academy in the winter are playing for their counties. Why not get all the promising players together to play against India's youngsters. Over in the West Indies they invite an overseas "A" Team and play one of their own in the national competition, it helps both ways. For a while though an "A" Tour of England is pretty much a waste of time. Teams need to be selected comprising of players who could do with the experiance, it would help everyone!

V Reddy

International Debutant
full_length said:
Dont you think it's pretty shortsighted to worry about testing the second ring county player, rather than use this as an opportunity to pick future England batsmen/bowlers?
Isn't this an excellent opportunity for the county players to prove themselves against the second eleven of India? After all some of these guys are going to play for the Indian team pretty soon. Some others will be internationals within two years.
Instead, they are accumulating county stats. If they continue to do this they will only produce more Graeme Hicks and never understand what went wrong.
The India A tour on the other hand was supposed to be an excellent opportunity for us to figure out which of these prolific domestic players actually has it in him to play for the national side. ECB is going the wrong way.

If they are so busy why did they invite India A?
I agree that we also should have known better because WI A also had similar treatment earlier. This has been a total waste of time, and a disappointment. I know that everyone in India was following the A tour, starting from the selection of the team.

If and when they go to India, I'd like to see them play the high school teams. It's not like the A team players' time alone is expendable!
The counties think more about their interests than that of an England team :P

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
"The counties think more about their interests than that of an England team"

Who cares! ECB invited us :P

Rik, why do you reckon the county players are not keen to play the games? Or do they have no choice? I would have thought that they would like to make selectors sit up and take notice by taking a five for against India A or something..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
full_length said:
"The counties think more about their interests than that of an England team"

Who cares! ECB invited us :P

Rik, why do you reckon the county players are not keen to play the games? Or do they have no choice? I would have thought that they would like to make selectors sit up and take notice by taking a five for against India A or something..
It's because, with the ammount of cricket played over here, they take it as a chance to have a break. The counties take it as a "freshener"

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Do they have any choice about what matches they want to play?
For instance, can a couple of Liecestershire players rest when their team plays Surrey?
From what I hear - 5 days a week cricket!!- they probably desparately need such flexibility.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
full_length said:
Do they have any choice about what matches they want to play?
For instance, can a couple of Liecestershire players rest when their team plays Surrey?
From what I hear - 5 days a week cricket!!- they probably desparately need such flexibility.
They can't take days off from CC matches, but the counties take it as a chance to rest their senior players when a tour match comes up.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
India A just had a creditable draw against the South Africans. Good job, guys!