• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In Your Place Draft

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I'm just considering running a draft based on batting positions. When a player has spent the most time of his career batting in a position, it's where he would be in your final XI.
Anyone interested?

AndrewB

Does "most" here mean "more than 50% of innings", or "more than any other position" (the latter would rule out Wilfred Rhodes, for example)?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yep.. As AndrewB pointed out, need to work out the fine print on what constitutes "most" etc but sounds exciting, so in :)

AndrewB

Does "most" here mean "more than 50% of innings", or "more than any other position" (the latter would rule out Wilfred Rhodes, for example)?
I meant "former", of course.
Checking cricinfo, there's surprisingly many players with a tie for their commonest batting position (over 300).

The Battlers Prince

In the case where people have 2 or more batting positions as their most common I thought any of the positions in question would be ok. Does that work for everyone? For example, so long as a player who batted at number '1'or '1&9' in the order most often is in that or one of those positions in your final team.

Drafters so far
AldoRaine18
AndrewB
Honestbharani
Zinzan
Watson
Schearzie
Red Hill
Weldone

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Just to be clear......

Player A
No.1 = 33
No.2 = 34
No.3 = 10
No.7 = 2

Position No.2 must be chosen.

Player B
No.7 = 6
No.8 = 20
No.9 = 44
No.10 = 44

Either No.9 or No.10 can be chosen.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
In

Will no. 1 and no. 2 be considered 2 separate batting positions for this (or will 'opener' be considered one batting position)?

The Battlers Prince

Just to be clear......

Player A
No.1 = 33
No.2 = 34
No.3 = 10
No.7 = 2

Position No.2 must be chosen.

Player B
No.7 = 6
No.8 = 20
No.9 = 44
No.10 = 44

Either No.9 or No.10 can be chosen.
Yes, that's what I was thinking. As to the opener, I'd prefer that both 1&2 are different positions but am open to what people want. But guys like Hayden and Warner prefer opening at non striker so it can make a difference.

watson

Banned
Yes, that's what I was thinking. As to the opener, I'd prefer that both 1&2 are different positions but am open to what people want. But guys like Hayden and Warner prefer opening at non striker so it can make a difference.
The 'Batting Career Summary' in 'espncricinfo' has separate tallies for positions No.1 and No.2 so they're easily looked-up if you prefer to go that way.

The Battlers Prince

Ok, so rules for this draft are;
-selection of a side of players made up for each batting position. If a player has batted in a position more than any other, that is where they play in your side.
-if they have one or more positions as equal most common they can be in any of those spots
-11 rounds with a randomiser choosing the order for round one and vice versa for round two and repeated until round 11 which is also randomised but at that stage it will depend if people have the same batting position remaining
-12 hours per selection, if you time out you can select later but can not choose anyone already selected
-no Bradman

Earlier in the thread things were brought up, hopefully everyone understands what's going on.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

Round 1
AndrewB - Garry Sobers (6)
Red Hill - Jack Hobbs (1)
Weldone
Schearzie
Watson
Honestbharani
Zinzan
AldoRaine18
Coronis
MrMister
NZTailender
Overrated Sanity

Round 2
Overrated Sanity
NZTailender
MrMister
Coronis
AldoRaine18
Zinzan
Honestbharani
Watson
Schearzie
Weldone
RedHill
AndrewB

Anyone else wants in you'll be at the end of round 1&2. 24 hours for AndrewB then 12 hours per selection

Last edited: