• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In which year will England win the cricket World Cup

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
England treats their Ashes like India treats their World Cup. I'd much rather win a WC than win a test series in England, but England and Australia would much rather win the ashes than the world cup.

So they don't care as much, so younger players don't really focus on that format. England would be happy if they were the number #1 test team and the #7 ODI team in the world. India would be happy if we were the #1 ODI team and #7 test team in the world. To each his own.

To answer the question though, they'll probably win it right after Denmark, though before Italy. ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
silentstriker said:
India would be happy if we were the #1 ODI team and #7 test team in the world. To each his own.
No they wouldn't.

You can stereotype the fans if you like, but I guarantee you the board wouldn't like that.

Tell me why in the past few years (say since the test series win over Australia in 2001 until late 2005), India have sucked in ODIs a hell of a lot, yet have done fairly well in tests, particularly in the Ganguly era... and its this era which is deemed as one of the most successful points of Indian cricket.

Everyone was happy with the team under Ganguly even though they were losing ODI final after ODI final. Why? Because they were competing against the best test teams in the world, home and away.

You try and tell me that the current Indian team is happier now that they're dominating ODIs yet have lost a test series to Pakistan and drawn against an injury ridden England team. Because point blank, the administration aren't.

India would much much much rather win the test series against WI than the ODI series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
so what if its an obvious fact, since England ODI team have not been top-class since they reached the 92 WC final, i dont see whats the big deal in me stating it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
No they wouldn't.

You can stereotype the fans if you like, but I guarantee you the board wouldn't like that.

Tell me why in the past few years (say since the test series win over Australia in 2001 until late 2005), India have sucked in ODIs a hell of a lot, yet have done fairly well in tests, particularly in the Ganguly era... and its this era which is deemed as one of the most successful points of Indian cricket.

Everyone was happy with the team under Ganguly even though they were losing ODI final after ODI final. Why? Because they were competing against the best test teams in the world, home and away.

You try and tell me that the current Indian team is happier now that they're dominating ODIs yet have lost a test series to Pakistan and drawn against an injury ridden England team. Because point blank, the administration aren't.

India would much much much rather win the test series against WI than the ODI series.
Agree with everything. but isn't reaching 13 or 15 finals in a row a success ? We did lose most of those finals, but by no means I would count that as poor ODI performance.

One has to also keep in mind that in a lot of those finals, we met an all time great ODI team.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
No they wouldn't.

Maybe I should rephrase. When I say ODI, I mean the WC and other tournaments...but especially WC. Both of us have only anecdotal evidence to back up our claims, but I am certain that a WC victory would be more celebrated in India than any test series win, anywhere, at anytime, against any opponent. Period. I would be suprised if you disagreed with this.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I would be expecting them to win the WC during the Aussie & Kiwi WC... It took them many years to get the ashes and it will take them many years for WC too...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sanz said:
Agree with everything. but isn't reaching 13 or 15 finals in a row a success ? We did lose most of those finals, but by no means I would count that as poor ODI performance.

One has to also keep in mind that in a lot of those finals, we met an all time great ODI team.
No you're correct, and 'sucked in ODIs' was far too harsh asI don't think India were as bad in ODIs from 2002-2005 as the ODI ratings suggested, but that being said they were ranked 7th for a while, and that's poor. They always were a talented ODI team who looked on paper like they were 2nd or 3rd best in the world, and they showed that by often getting into ODI tournament finals, but they just didn't take the grand prize enough unfortunately.

But you get my point though. India's most successful period in recent times, i.e the Ganguly era, is much more known for its test success than its ODIs.
silentstriker said:
Maybe I should rephrase. When I say ODI, I mean the WC and other tournaments...but especially WC. Both of us have only anecdotal evidence to back up our claims, but I am certain that a WC victory would be more celebrated in India than any test series win, anywhere, at anytime, against any opponent. Period. I would be suprised if you disagreed with this.
A WC victory more celebrated in India than any test series win? Yep you'd be right there. But I'd suggest, and I honestly have no way of proving this so this discussion will lead no where, but I suggest that as captain of the Indian team, Rahul Dravid would at least be as happy with an AWAY test series win to Australia than a WC victory. That's just my opinion, but the sheer delight India showed when they came down here to Australia and not only won a test but competed the whole series was amazing.

A WC win would do wonders for India, and I'm sure the general consensus of fans would appreciate that more than an away test series win over Australia. I'm not so sure Rahul Dravid and the rest of the Indian team would though. It'd be pretty damn close.

Fact is, a test cap means more than a ODI cap. Not just in Australia and England, in Asia too. And if having the honour to play in a test match for your country means more to one's self than playing in a ODI, surely victory in a test series against the best in the world in their own backyard would at least equal the honour of conquering the world in ODIs?

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
A WC victory more celebrated in India than any test series win? Yep you'd be right there. But I'd suggest, and I honestly have no way of proving this so this discussion will lead no where, but I suggest that as captain of the Indian team, Rahul Dravid would at least be as happy with an AWAY test series win to Australia than a WC victory. That's just my opinion, but the sheer delight India showed when they came down here to Australia and not only won a test but competed the whole series was amazing.

I've no doubt that he would much rather have a series victory in Australia than WC. Almost all players do. But frankly, who cares what he thinks? The game isn't played for the players, they're played for the fans. I'm sure some people would enjoy the away victory in Aus more, and for me it would be close.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
Fact is, a test cap means more than a ODI cap. Not just in Australia and England, in Asia too. And if having the honour to play in a test match for your country means more to one's self than playing in a ODI, surely victory in a test series against the best in the world in their own backyard would at least equal the honour of conquering the world in ODIs?
You are arguing theory. Yes, it is harder to win a test series in AUstralia than it is to win the WC. That does not mean that it is valued more.....

cricketboy29

International Regular
silentstriker said:
You are arguing theory. Yes, it is harder to win a test series in AUstralia than it is to win the WC. That does not mean that it is valued more.....
Oh? Really? Do tell what determines the value of something rather than how hard you have to work it?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
It would be in England - that's because we have always looked upon the one-day game as 'not proper cricket', as well as the fact that The Ashes has always been huge and still is.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
cricketboy29 said:
Oh? Really? Do tell what determines the value of something rather than how hard you have to work it?

Yea, Really. Hat tricks are harder to get than a test win. You tell me which is more valuble, your bowler getting a hat trick or you winning a match?

If they made a new format of cricket where all players must wear a blindfold while playing cricket, would that new format automatically become more valuble than test cricket, since its 'harder'?

Sorry, it doesn't work like that.

luckyeddie said:
It would be in England - that's because we have always looked upon the one-day game as 'not proper cricket', as well as the fact that The Ashes has always been huge and still is.
Yup, and Australia too. And probably a couple other countries. I'm just speaking of India.

Last edited: