• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In terms of aesthetics, what is the finest test innings you have seen?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah though tbf that wasn't a final. Though I suppose in the sense they had to win within X overs or not go through, it probably could be considered one.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Not his most famous or important innings, but Viv’s 140 odd at Lords in 1980 was sublime, almost a run a ball, but it wasn’t brutal hitting. All grace and timing. I didn’t see all his centuries outside of England, but this was the best in England (though nowhere near biggest).

Xuhaib

International Coach
It was a great innings but no innings Younis Khan played can be considered aesthetic.
Not really he would look awkward and sometimes ugly but once he's in for an hour or 90 minutes and has 20-30 on the board would suddenly transform in to a beast with some gorgeous stroke play, his backfoot drives and especially stroke play vs spin would be sublime to the eye

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Pietersen 158 The Oval

The aesthetic of effectively ending the great Australian dynasty- smashing Warne and Lee out of the park, was something monumental

If you're talking smooth style etc, gotta be one of Laxman's innings- maybe the one in Adelaide 2003

jcas0167

International Debutant
Some of Stephen Fleming's knocks. He underachieved compared to his talent (especially at home - very mediocre stats in NZ), but usually looked pretty elegant when batting.
Yeah, particularly early on he was likened to Gower. I guess both tall lefthanders with superb timing. I think he tightened up his technique over time and didn't have the big flowing backlift that you see in his 91 against Australia.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Plenty come to my mind.

I'll go for the underrated one - Ricky Ponting's ton against England in the 2009 Champions Trophy semi finals.

Kirkut

International Regular
Plenty come to my mind.

I'll go for the underrated one - Ricky Ponting's ton against England in the 2009 Champions Trophy semi finals.
YouTube as usual has taken down his full innings and I can only find this footage. Watch from 6:50 onwards, they have not shown all his fours but the few fours he hit in this footage are high class.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Always loved watching Inzamam-ul-Haq bat. Something poetic about a lazy fat bloke carelessly reeling off a string of exquisite cover drives and late cuts before being comedically run out on 100 and something.