• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm dissappointed with England, 5-0 - McGrath

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flintoff's bowling average would be a lot lower if he wasn't such a warrior. He just bowls and bowls, he bowls for so long that cows are actually leaving home again. A true team player, not interested in averages, merely results.
I think the reason that Flintoff's average is so high is more due to his extremely unpenetrative start to Test cricket.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Nice use of the law of averages by Glenn there.

"If I predict 5-0 in every series between now and the end of eternity, eventually I'll be right! Mwahahaha....."

Scmods

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Predictable really.

Lucky to draw at Old Trafford and drawing the last test isn't something to shout about when you needed to win just to draw the series.

The rest is either obvious or just pure conjecture.
Meh, what did you expect? His disregard for his fellow professionals gets tedious after a while.
...and like other people have said, even the crap England teams managed to win a test, and this England team is a much better outfit than the horror shows of the past.
Glenn McGrath is like the Bourbon kings of France....he's learnt nothing and forgotten nothing. All he's doing is firing up England..and if they couldn't beat England 5-0 when they were crap they won't when England are No 2 in the world. If I was Ponting I'd tell him to shut up and concentrate on his bowling.
Andrew Flintoff's the world's greatest player but you don't hear him making such sweeping statements - he obviously has the right to going by the logic that McGrath does. I know it's tongue-in-cheek, but really, it's quite boring. I doubt idiotic Aussie comments will act as motivation to England, because our players will probably not be listening. Yawn, snore, zzzz.
Oh dear...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
are there now any doubters left as to mcgraths powers of forsight?
As has been said before, if you predict the same result every series, regardless of the circumstances, then the law of averages states that eventually you'll be right one day.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
As has been said before, if you predict the same result every series, regardless of the circumstances, then the law of averages states that eventually you'll be right one day.
to be fair, there is no law of averages which state that you will win/lose a series 5-0...this particular ashes scoreline repeated itself after 80 odd years, right? it's not like a toss of a coin where you always have a 50% chance of winning...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
to be fair, there is no law of averages which state that you will win/lose a series 5-0...this particular ashes scoreline repeated itself after 80 odd years, right? it's not like a toss of a coin where you always have a 50% chance of winning...
Maybe McGrath's been saying 5-0 for the last 80 years....he is pretty old, after all. :D

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
My favourite is the one about Flintoff being the world's greatest player. Flintoff - can't bat, bowl, field or captain. All round useless. One series doesn't make a player great....but one series can really make a player look ordinary.

Back off on McGrath - I can't remember him making any predictions other than for the 2005 and 2006 ashes. His predictions are more often than not about who he's going to target...and 99% of the time he nails his man.

Back in 2004 when England were playing well McGrath was asked how the'd fair in the 05 ashes - I distinctly remember him saying 4-0 or 4-1. He made the 5-0 after Lords, and I have no doubt in my mind that if he didn't step on that ball it would've been 5-0.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My favourite is the one about Flintoff being the world's greatest player. Flintoff - can't bat, bowl, field or captain. All round useless. One series doesn't make a player great....but one series can really make a player look ordinary.

Back off on McGrath - I can't remember him making any predictions other than for the 2005 and 2006 ashes. His predictions are more often than not about who he's going to target...and 99% of the time he nails his man.

Back in 2004 when England were playing well McGrath was asked how the'd fair in the 05 ashes - I distinctly remember him saying 4-0 or 4-1. He made the 5-0 after Lords, and I have no doubt in my mind that if he didn't step on that ball it would've been 5-0.
Thanks mate, hard to take any positives out of this series, but the fact you support the other side, is giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling:)

Slow Love™

International Captain
Nah, I don't know where you got the 4-0, 4-1 thing from. And McGrath made the 5-0 comment before the series started. The main point though is that it wasn't so much an arrogant dismissal of England's ability as a statement of his positive attitude towards every match. He believed that he and the other Australian players should accept nothing less than winning every game.

PhoenixFire

International Coach

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.