• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you could watch one match...

steve132

U19 Debutant
India vs. WI World Cup Final 1983
Holding taking 14 at the Oval
I saw both of these live. The Oval Test also featured a marvelous double century by Viv Richards that was almost as remarkable as Holding's spell.

The Test I would most like to have seen, however, is the tied Test between Australia and the West Indies at Brisbane in 1960-61. Apart from the result, Sobers played one of his greatest innings and Alan Davidson produced an all-round performance to rival any other.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw both of these live. The Oval Test also featured a marvelous double century by Viv Richards that was almost as remarkable as Holding's spell.

The Test I would most like to have seen, however, is the tied Test between Australia and the West Indies at Brisbane in 1960-61. Apart from the result, Sobers played one of his greatest innings and Alan Davidson produced an all-round performance to rival any other.
There was a guy in my class in high school who was related to Joe Solomon.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
A single match from each format:

My first reaction was Headingley '81 which would be my pick from a pure drama perspective. However with a one-shot time machine I think I'd actually want to go back a bit further and experience some of the greats of the game from whom I'm a bit more removed. Possibly a different Headingley Ashes Test: 1948 to see Bradman chase down 400 (with a plethora of other legends to marvel at in the supporting cast).

For ODIs I don't care that I already watched it on TV, I'm putting myself in the ground for last year's World Cup final.

For T20s I'd be after atmosphere as much as game quality. I think it would have to be Pakistan vs India in the inaugural world cup final which brought drama aplenty along with the historic occasion.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd love have to been there for the 1975 World Cup final. Seems like it was pretty epic

edit - also the SF between Eng/Australia right before it. Crazy scorecard. some of the initial naysayers and those reluctant to accept the new ODI format pointed to this match and how epic it would have been if it were a 2 innings test - that there would have been a true, accurate result.

the pitch was 'emerald green' and not really appropriate for a one dayer

Last edited:

stephen

I think Bradman's 300 in a day would be the test I'd choose.

If go back and relive the 99 world cup semi final. Such a great game of cricket.

No t20 games really have captivated me. Maybe the Heat victory?

stephen

Actually I'm going to choose the Women's Heat final from two seasons ago. Sydney were heavy favourites and Mooney played a brilliant, clutch innings (which she then repeated last season and then again in the Women's t20 world cup final).

fredfertang

I'd go back to the first Test of the Bodyline series, so I could watch Stan McCabe take on Larwood and Voce and flay them to all corners

.... England winning easily in the end part of the reason too

Engle

State Vice-Captain
1986 tense Test between Pakistan and W.Indies would fire up a frenzy. It had everything, fast bowling, batting resistance, all-round performance, Salim coming to bat in a cast against the dreaded pace attack, while Qadir 6/16 cleaned them out for 53. A hard fought battle which shocked the cricket world and harkened the beginning of the end of the WIndian empire.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll change me answer to something pre-War. I'd like to see how test cricket was played on uncovered and poorly made wickets. How 120 overs were fitted into a day's play and so on. I'll take the 4th test from the 1902 Ashes. Would love to watch the Trumper 100.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I'd be tempted to pick Sussex v Notts 1911 just to see if Alletson's hitting really was as remarkable as accounts say it was... the down side is that it was 40 minutes of carnage amid 3 unremarkable days' play.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Some good answers but some have missed the brief.

For the purposes of this, we'll say that any knowledge of the match you have is removed during the time travel
Shouldn't we be picking a match because of the players involved or, as Trundler has done. to witness conditions and play in a bygone era?

How can you, therefore, nominate a particular player's innings if you have no knowledge of the match?

Just asking!

cnerd123

likes this
I think I might actually go all the way back to the very first Test match. Check that out. Bannerman's record still stands to this day doesn't it? So you've got a historic moment in more ways than one.

Also this way Burgey won't be the only one on the forum with a claim to having been there.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Some good answers but some have missed the brief.

Shouldn't we be picking a match because of the players involved or, as Trundler has done. to witness conditions and play in a bygone era?

How can you, therefore, nominate a particular player's innings if you have no knowledge of the match?

Just asking!
I assumed the brief meant that you had full knowledge of the match before you made your choice, but would then get to watch it without knowing what happened ("knowledge of the match is removed during the time travel").

fredfertang

Also this way Burgey won't be the only one on the forum with a claim to having been there.
JBMac and I were there as well - at tea on the first day Burgey bought us an ice cream and patted us both on the head - condescending ****