• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If South Africa beat India and make the World T20 final...

Sri Lanka vs. South Africa Final - Who is more likely to choke?

• Sri Lanka

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty poor stuff from Burgey in here, not sure why it's being lauded. Aravinda deSilva was one of the best bats I've ever enjoyed watching, Sanga and Mahela are utter quality. Vaas was a beautiful practitioner of swing-bowling on many unresponsive pitches. Sri Lanka have added massively to World cricket since they've come into it in all forms.

I really don't get the hate, is it a joke I'm not getting?
Perhaps I'm wrong here but I saw Burgeys rant as something similar to what I'd hear from my senile old Grandfather. When he goes off on one it is totally unreasonable, certainly very politically incorrect..........but piss funny to listen to and not to be taken too seriously, he'll be calmed down ones Nan gives him his meds for the day.

I've seen Burgey's Sri Lankan rants before and think I got sucked into one when I first joined and didn't know any better. Really shouldn't be taken too seriously IMO.

Edit:

Plus it ****ed with Jonos thread so there's another + :P

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There you go again with your bollocks......that is simply just not true at all.
No need to reply with insults TBH, just stae how Test Crowds in this country are huge, and much higher than all the other formats. Sometimes facts are better than derogatory comment.

Mind you I'm a hypocrite as I'd much rather slag someone off than give a right stat.

Ho-hum

grecian

Perhaps I'm wrong here but I saw Burgeys rant as something similar to what I'd hear from my senile old Grandfather. When he goes off on one it is totally unreasonable, certainly very politically incorrect..........but piss funny to listen to and not to be taken too seriously, he'll be calmed down ones Nan gives him his meds for the day.

I've seen Burgey's Sri Lankan rants before and think I got sucked into one when I first joined and didn't know any better. Really shouldn't be taken too seriously IMO.

Edit:

Plus it ****ed with Jonos thread so there's another + :P
Not doubting it's funny, but if I was a Lankan supporter I would pretty much consider it a troll post.

**** it I don't really know what I'm saying, I enjoyed the post and do occasional sub-standard rants myself, just don't really see what Lankan cricket haqs done to deserve it.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
No need to reply with insults TBH, just stae how Test Crowds in this country are huge, and much higher than all the other formats. Sometimes facts are better than derogatory comment.

Mind you I'm a hypocrite as I'd much rather slag someone off than give a right stat.

Ho-hum
LOL, fair enough. In my defense though I didn't really insult him, just called his post bollocks.......which it was. Blokes got a history of trotting out opinion or falsehoods and passing them off as facts, he repeatedly gets called out on it.....as he should.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not doubting it's funny, but if I was a Lankan supporter I would pretty much consider it a troll post.

**** it I don't really know what I'm saying, I enjoyed the post and do occasional sub-standard rants myself, just don't really see what Lankan cricket haqs done to deserve it.
I think that's the point......Sri Lanka have done nothing to deserve it. Certainly would be my favourite sub cont team and by a long margin.

Gotta view Burgster as you would this fella...........

Alf Garnett.jpg

Disagree with just about everything he says but hang on his every word and love him all the same.

grecian

LOL, fair enough. In my defense though I didn't really insult him, just called his post bollocks.......which it was. Blokes got a history of trotting out opinion or falsehoods and passing them off as facts, he repeatedly gets called out on it.....as he should.
Not a problem I just feel there's no reason giving credence to the non-sensical point. Nothing wrong with your post really, I'd do it in a different way though, some posts are self-ridiculing.

I think that's the point......Sri Lanka have done nothing to deserve it. Certainly would be my favourite sub cont team and by a long margin.

Gotta view Burgster as you would this fella...........

View attachment 21246

Disagree with just about everything he says but hang on his every word and love him all the same.
Meh Garnett lost all my love when his creator became a Thatcherite.

the big bambino

International Captain
Erm, the crease is 4 feet from the stumps. If (as you claim) you spent a long period of time 4 feet from him when batting I can only assume you are either a) a stump or b) have been hit in the head by a cricket ball repeatedly from a very short range...

Actually on reading your posts, b) does seem more likely.
The ghont believes himself to be some kind of keeper. Probably MS Dhoni.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The crease is 4 feet from the stumps but batsmen don't normally always play right at the crease-line.
Your analysis is limited, there is an obvious c) option that you are not seeing.
You're that hole in the ground near the centre square which they used to put helmets in, aren't you?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty poor stuff from Burgey in here, not sure why it's being lauded. Aravinda deSilva was one of the best bats I've ever enjoyed watching, Sanga and Mahela are utter quality. Vaas was a beautiful practitioner of swing-bowling on many unresponsive pitches. Sri Lanka have added massively to World cricket since they've come into it in all forms.

I really don't get the hate, is it a joke I'm not getting?
It was a **** post. Fancy having a crack at a country that's gone through a civil war. Poor taste.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a **** post. Fancy having a crack at a country that's gone through a civil war. Poor taste.
I have a crack at England all the time too. They had a civil war, but I don't hear you complaining about that.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow, just wow Burgey, only read all this **** just now. I will respond to your original post. I know it probably isn't worth it, but I can't read something like that, then some of the **** that followed it up and not respond.

Sri Lanka is a joke cricketing nation. Everyone knows it, you're all just too polite to say it.
Too reasonable

You've got FTB batsmen who are a sad parody outside the SC; spinners who are only playing because they missed the pre-season cut for the NY Yankees; and one quick of any note who's too lazy to even have a crack at test cricket. Honestly, even if SL went on to win this, so what? Call us when you've won a test (not a series, a single, miserable test) in Australia. They're a joke.
Sri Lanka are a small island nation, they have produced a remarkable number of players of international quality for their size, not only that, but insufficient funds due to corruption in the board has hindered their ability to expand cricket properly outside Colombo, this is particularly apparent in domestic cricket, where games are all played in Colombo on dustbowls. The fact that players of the calibre of Vaas and Sanga have managed to develop under this system is quite remarkable, while a population comparison with Australia for example might reveal similarities there is a lot more to it. And while we are on the topic of Sanga, it's an absolute joke to call him a ftb when he scores heavily on dustbowls, averages 60 in Oceania and has scored hundreds in SA and England. Sri Lanka have always produced cricketers that excel in the shorter forms of the game, so you can bring up overseas tests all you like but the fact is that they play way more cricket in the SC, particularly LO cricket, so it makes much more sense for them to get good at that sort of cricket then to put everything into the 2 tests per year they play outside the SC. While the spinners jibe made me laugh as I've said multiple times in my time here on the forum I won't hear any of it in a legitimate debate.

The rest of the cricketing world only tolerates them because they need the numbers when it comes to test playing countires. They got elevated to full international status too early, and frankly they've done very little to prove they're worthy of it since. Sure they won an ODI WC, but even that developmentally challenged kid in the US shot a few three pointers to win a basketball game for his school. It proves SFA. They're nothing. Nada. Niente.
To win an ODI WC and now a t20 WC is quite an achievement for a small island nation I'd have thought

Wacko, they've had one good bowler in 30 plus years, and two decent batsmen. You had that Chaminda Vaas bloke open the bowling for them. FMD he'd play second grade here - basically a 1990s version of that numpty who opened the bowling for WI last night. Just awful. Imagine the excitement: "Here's Vaas to start the Test here at the WACA - three short mid wickets and a short cover because he isn't fast enough to have an edge carry to slip". How good would it be to face him for a living? You'd retire a millionaire in 18 months. Give the Netherlands or Ireland a shot, they'd do no worse over the same time frame. It actually makes a mockery of international cricket that a team as low as SL is a part of the pre-eminent international competition in the sport.
Bangladesh is the better comparison to make with Sri Lanka - and look where they are, Zimbabwe too, Sri Lanka is doing all right from where they were, they have climbed close to the top of the test rankings in their time and are now the world no 1 t20 side.

Vaas was a fine exponent of swing bowling, probably one of the finest produced in the SC over the last 20 years, just because fast bowlers don't knock people's heads off doesn't mean they aren't worth their salt. Your shameless bias towards fast pitches, fast bowlers and batsman who can competently play said bowling drains you of all credibility when you talk about countries like Sri Lanka. The beauty of cricket is that different conditions can provide a completely different challenge, the fact that you completely write off a region where half the world's cricket gets played is a joke. I have no problem with the fact that you like watching this kind of bowling and batting but the way you try and force this ideal on everybody and simply cannot accept the opinions of others on the matter is really annoying.

At least SA is the number one side over a meaningful period at one format of the game. SL are like Pakistan - they were the best ODI side in the world for a random three week period which coincided with a WC. You'd rather watch grass grow than watch SL. In fact, as much as I love cricket, let's be honest. While ever there's SL playing at the top level, you'll always be able to put your feet up as an opposing fan and not really worry one iota that they'll do anything of any importance against your team. If they were an elderly canine they'd have been put down out of mercy by now. They're the failed experiment of world cricket - we always knew the outcome and it was worth a look in the hope we'd turn a heavy sack of useless lead into gold despite years of evidence to the contrary. But at the end of the day they tell us nothing more than we knew about them 30 odd years ago. Just a low outfit. A minnow dressed up as something worthwhile. Honestly, end them as a full international side. They're just a sad postscript to an otherwise interesting international cricketing contest.
What nonsense