• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Jimmy Anderson started his career 5 years later, would he be higher regarded?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Averages 28 away (including neutral) if you cut out his first five years.

Well done Flem, you can't even troll properly you BUFFOON
I disagree with a lot of Flem’s **** thats been posted recently but can i chop out 5 years I don’t like of anyone’s career?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s a bit daft to assume he’d hit the ground running and enjoy the same success he has over the last decade+ without the learning curve in the first bit.

It could’ve gone either way. He may very well have Ryan Harris’d it but it’s certainly not as simple as chop the first bit of his career off.

Kirkut

International Regular
I think what goes against Anderson is his initial years where he was an average bowler. So that "first impression is the last impression" comes into play here.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I think what goes against Anderson is his initial years where he was an average bowler. So that "first impression is the last impression" comes into play here.
Probably.......but only applies to extremely stupid people.

Burgey

I think we can all agree that Anderson if debuted five years later he would still be a massive ****. That stuff is ingrained

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
only if they brought neser in instead though imo, which they wouldn't have done
What makes you think Pattinson wouldn't have been the right choice? Actually, was he still injured? If so, I wonder if they might have droptated Starc if he'd been fit. They surely wouldn't have gone for Abbott, but maybe Neser was not as 'serious' a choice.

That said, can you imagine the recriminations from the media and casuals if they'd benched Starc and we'd still lost...

flibbertyjibber

Broad losing his first 5 years would have some pretty amazing stats. He was raw and picked too early but we stuck by him and got the rewards later on.