• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ideas for Season 2

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
I was taking into consideration that at least 1 team from the current comp would already be dropped and their players spread amongst the other CW teams so ensure more CW players per CW team (we don't want CW players on the bench until it's absolutely necessary imo).
agree about the bench, however i feel we need more than 6 teams in the comp as its just playing eacg other every 3 weeks. i guess a big decision needs to be made.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
Wouldn't it be possible to just put ourselves into the A-Leauge (or any other league, just picking the one that was mentioned), and then adjust our stats so that we would be competitive? Not so much so that we dominate, but enough that we're, say, a mid-table side? Like Buggs said, even we're going to be cutting sides, it won't be worth it, because we'll just be playing the same team within 3 weeks.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think we will have enough players to make it worthwile to have a comp of 6 or 8 teams. The best option IMO is to join the NZ National League which has 8 teams. The standard would be about the same as the best NZ players are overseas or in the A-League. That would mean a 12 team comp and about 22 games, which prefect number.

Also I would strongly advise that you scale all the players stats to either out of 20 or 25. I'm sure most people who have used the sim will tell you that having it out of 100 makes the difference between player ridcoulous at times, which we saw last season.

I'm not a fan of maquee players at all. I think you find that these players will dominate the league and make the games very boring. It will be better to just have more semi professionals of a similar standard or slight better to fill the sides up. With the sim the closer the quality of players are the better the matches are. Also with the current low number of CW players, I'm sure most captains would rather have depth then a superstars especially with the large number of injuries and suspensions we had last season.

Reserve league is a good idea and I like draft idea to make the allocated of players at the start of season more fair. Have no problem with transfer system, if we have the option of signing players to contracts. I know in Football it makes no difference as players can move from club to club. But it would make it easier building a side if we knew we have players that are likely to be that the club the following season. Also if this is implemented players that finish there contracts should be able to move with any players going to other way, Bosman ruling to an extent. A formal contract system would be nice.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To address a few things mentioned above.

- The move to another league has been mentioned by a couple of people. Personally, I would prefer it as we are with 6 teams in CWLand. However, that is dependant on numbers and everything is up for discussion.

- I used the term 'marquee' players loosely (sp?). The players that are available at the top of the draft are not star players but guys that can help and add balance to a team. They are better than the generics but not better than many CW players. In no way will they dominate.

- The skill points system is being looked into. Ive read a number of different things that talk about improving the realism and stability of the sim. Will continue with tests and after talking to people will make a decision.

- Things like contracts etc are all possibilities that could be implemented at a later date if the sim gets back up and running and grows.

Always interesting to hear feedback :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Transfers
No player is contracted to a club and it would be unfair to force them to stay at a club if they do not want to. However, in order to keep an element of parity in the league, to sign a player from another club a team must release a player of equal or greater statistical value. The team that lost a player would then have first option to sign that player.

More to come...
But doesn't that defeat the aspect of quality man management? It may keep things even, but it takes away from the realism of the thing.

Granted there may be players who wish to leave a club and would therefore put that club at a loss, but that's the way things go sometimes. And all that said, I'm not sure about the specifics of the sim (what sim is it?) so this isn't the most hard-edged of comments. Just a suggestionesque comment.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
I'm going to agree with everyone else i reckon we should put our teams into either the A-League or the NZ League.

Also on the transfers front every player should have a contract for there club and each team should have a transfer budget to spend on other players, these a just ideas that im putting out there so meh you know give a sense of realism.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But doesn't that defeat the aspect of quality man management? It may keep things even, but it takes away from the realism of the thing.

Granted there may be players who wish to leave a club and would therefore put that club at a loss, but that's the way things go sometimes. And all that said, I'm not sure about the specifics of the sim (what sim is it?) so this isn't the most hard-edged of comments. Just a suggestionesque comment.
Agree with this.

In regards to leagues etc. If we have enough players to keep 6 CW Land teams, then there is no need to combine leagues imo. However, if we have to cut 1/2 teams, then I'd be all for us replacing a few teams in the NZ League, or perhaps having 2/3 teams solely made up of foreign players (sort of like the Masters XI in CW Cricket, except not with uber players) so we aren't playing the same teams so regularly.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If the team goes into the NZ League or the A-League I refuse to play. May as well just delete this forum and go sign up for Bugs's thing if that's what you want.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
If the team goes into the NZ League or the A-League I refuse to play. May as well just delete this forum and go sign up for Bugs's thing if that's what you want.
AWT*.

However, I wouldn't be averse to inviting a team or two from overseas to make even numbers. Still, with 7-8 guys signed in to every team and 6 rookies, I don't think there's a need to change anything.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
Looking at other nations where football is semi-pro at best and have a low population getting involved when compared to other sports, you can look at Pakistan as an example. It's basically devoid of foreigners. New Zealand is much higher up the ladder to CWLand when it comes to football so I wouldn't really compare us to them yet. Pakistan has something like 100 points in the FIFA ranking system so they'll do. I can't even find information on most lower nations' leagues.

We have 40 players outside of those that will be created just for the sim, so I think four teams is a fair amount. It worked fine with Red/Green/Black/Blue over in CW cricket, after all. I think we could have our four teams compete with clubs from various nations of our level rather than making a jump straight up to NZ or Aussie. We should be realistic enough to realise that we need to develop first before going to the big time. That's not to say we should accept that we'll be out of the big picture of the world for 50 years or anything - we can rig it so we advance faster than other teams in the world, but only development and skill-increases can do that, and it should be done over time - we shouldn't be in the World Cup finals for at least 10 seasons (even that would be practically impossible in today's world, but hey, this is CWLand :p).

So I think we should get our club sides playing against clubs from the likes of Fiji or Malaysia or something like that. Not in their national league, but in a multi-national league.

So...
Four teams
National League - all four teams play each other, home and away, in traditional league style. Should last no more than six game weeks.

Multinational League - Our four teams vs. four teams from [country b] and four teams from [country c] and maybe even four teams from [country d] if you like, but I think we should stick to just three nations being involved for the sake of avoiding the simmers having to play so many games for teams that we aren't directly involved with. With three nations, you'd have twelve teams and therefore it would last 22 game weeks, assuming one game = one game week.

That means the two leagues would get covered in 28 game weeks - a reasonable season length for a developing nation. We can always expand later on if enough players show interest.

EDIT: My mathematics was flawed.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Reserve League.
Players (young and below average foreign players) often do not get selected. This means they missout on the points they could get from the game and the gap between them and the first choice players widens.

The Reserve League would not require managerial input and would be teams playing 4-4-2 in a vanilla tactic with the aim of giving the players outside the first XI a runout and experience (that increases skills).
Are we still having this?