• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC take over Test & ODI ratings.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PwC will no longer do the Test & ODI ratings for international players.

ICC takes over player ratings

Cricinfo staff

January 19, 2005

The International Cricket Council announced that it has secured backing for its Test and One-day Championships, and that from now on it will also be responsible for the player ratings previously known as the PwC Ratings.

The ICC has signed a deal with LG Electronics, an Asian-based consumables conglomerate, to sponsor both the championships and the ratings.

"Since the introduction of the ICC Test Championship in May 2001 it has been our ambition to complement this with an ongoing championship table for one-day international cricket and official player rankings," said Malcolm Speed, the ICC's chief executive, at the launch in New Delhi. "The ICC ODI Championship was introduced in October 2002 and today's announcement means that due to the support of LG we now have a full suite of official rankings."

While the Test and ODI Championships have been under the ICC umbrella since their inception, the PwC ratings, while unofficial, have been regarded as the benchmark by which the best players are assessed since they were launched in 1987.

"These player rankings have been tried and tested over many years," said Sourav Ganguly. "It is excellent news that they have now been officially recognised by the ICC and LG."

There are six different tables in the LG ICC Player Rankings for batsmen, bowlers and allrounders in Test match and one-day international cricket. The top Test batsman is Rahul Dravid while the top Test bowler is Glenn McGrath.

Full details of the LG ICC Test Championship, the LG ICC One-Day International Championship and the LG ICC Player Rankings can be found on the official ICC website www.icc-cricket.com.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good, now the four farces that are ODI and Test ratings and The Test and ODI Championship are officially produced by the same bunch of incompetants...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Good, now the four farces that are ODI and Test ratings and The Test and ODI Championship are officially produced by the same bunch of incompetants...
:lol:
:lol::lol:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And why are they farces?

Because they make you look silly?

They're all based on rating performances relative to the opposition - what is wrong in that?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, some people try to use them to make me look a bit silly, and because they're farcical it doesn't work.
I've gone over time and again why they are incoherant and inconsistent, relying on generalisation.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I've gone over time and again why they are incoherant and inconsistent, relying on generalisation.

Yet you still think the First Chance average isn't exactly what you claim PwC to be, even though PwC has no bias or personal judgements in it whatsoever.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And the first-chance average takes luck out of the equation totally.
I know which I prefer.
You, too, know which you prefer.
Yet it is not fact that your preferance is the better.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Inconsistency and personal choice (on very, very rare occasions) and luck removed from the equation
plays
Inconsistency and incoherence, based on assumptions that can never have much value.
I know which I prefer.
You know which you prefer.
And there it ends.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if I'd searched my memory more thoroughly I'd have remembered just about every drop.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
And why are they farces?

Because they make you look silly?

They're all based on rating performances relative to the opposition - what is wrong in that?
Yeah they are all based on performance relative to opposition... I agree..... 8-)

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Well well...

Since these ratings were taken over by ICC they have lost quite a few features. Ratings wizard, averages, listings by country etc

Another top effort ICC... :@

C_C

International Captain
The ratings are a farce.Simple as that.

Its just an opinion, no different than yours or mine.
Every rating is based on a set number of criterias where each criteria contributes towards the total score.
But how much ? why ? thats all an opinion.
How much weightage should be given to one criteria ? thats just an opinion.
PwC ratings or any ratings for that matter- is no different than anyone's opinion thats just graphed.