• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC rated as "boring"

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The thought of the ICC trying to strip the Boxing Day test from the MCG is quite funny
Not to blaspheme and have people call anathema on me, but I'd be totally okay and happy with a Boxing Day test at Adelaide.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The Perth pitch was excellent and anyone who doesn’t think so should stick to T20 cricket. Oh those poor poor batsmen, being treated unfairly for so long, how dare we subject them to a pitch where they may get an unpredictable bounce once in a while? Let’s watch another stats inflating century instead.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah this “oh the poor batsmen” tripe is just a meme.
Not quite certain it's a Safety thing either. I think the ICC genuinely wants to remove as many random elements out of the game as they can. There is a general push to standardise everything - regulations on bats, balls, kit, field dimensions, even DRS for umpiring to minimise the human element. Trying to evaluate pitches and arbitrary define a 'good' one fits into that mantra, and having a good pitch be one wtih consistent bounce fits with wanting randomness free cricket.

Safety could be a concern too but I don't think it's the main one. Lot of other things you could do if batsmen safety was the main concern (like making helmets mandatory, for one).

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
The title of the thread made me think someone had rated the ICC as an organization boring.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not quite certain it's a Safety thing either. I think the ICC genuinely wants to remove as many random elements out of the game as they can. There is a general push to standardise everything - regulations on bats, balls, kit, field dimensions, even DRS for umpiring to minimise the human element. Trying to evaluate pitches and arbitrary define a 'good' one fits into that mantra, and having a good pitch be one wtih consistent bounce fits with wanting randomness free cricket.

Safety could be a concern too but I don't think it's the main one. Lot of other things you could do if batsmen safety was the main concern (like making helmets mandatory, for one).
this rationale is even dumber than the safety one. "randomness-free cricket"? what?

cnerd123

likes this
this rationale is even dumber than the safety one. "randomness-free cricket"? what?
Its fairly clear they want to minimise the influences of external factors (pitches, umpires, weather, etc) on the outcome of matches. You still have randomness because that's what cricket is, but they seem to want cricket standardised to some extent across the world. Allow for some variation, but ensure every game is a 'fair' balance between bat and ball, and that the pitches don't overly favour one style of cricketer. Literally what they have said.

When I say random free cricket I mean they want to minimise the chances of a Kohli or Smith being dismissed by a grubber, and they want to kill off pitches where part timers become as dangerous as real bowlers. That sort of stuff. Less 'lottery' style pitches.

And yea, it's just speculation. I don't know why they have these criteria. Maybe the batsmen now making decisions in the ICC really are just looking out for their own, who knows. Personally I disagree with all of it.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A game of cricket starts with such a random thing, the flip of a coin that often is the deciding factor. They should get rid of that first. Then they can focus on using the same ball, same soil in the pitches, grass in the outfield and get rid of day nighters.

cnerd123

likes this
I mean you joke but the idea of removing the toss has actually been floated around by the ICC. Didn't the County Championship actually adopt it?