• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC hoping to add further World Twenty20 tournaments to schedule

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ICC hoping to add further World Twenty20 tournaments to schedule

The rise of Twenty20 cricket will gather pace with two extra World Cups to be added to the existing schedule by the International Cricket Council as it looks to cash in on the booming popularity of the game’s shortest format.

Telegraph Sport understands the ICC has opened discussions with broadcasters about organising World Twenty20 tournaments in 2018 and 2022, meaning that the event will be played every two years.
It'd be the right move

vcs

Oh joy.. more T20. Saying that, one World T20 every 2 years doesn't sound all that terrible.

Daemon

So UAE or WI seems most likely for the venue. That ~10 hour difference will probably cost WI though, unless they're willing to cop morning starts :\

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like it. It got ridiculous when there were two T20 WCs in two years ('09 and '10) but every 2 years works. It also makes the ODI WC, which is every 4 years, feel that little bit more prestigious which IMO it is Whether you like ODIs or not, I think most would acknowledge winning an ODI WC is seen as more difficult. That is different from it actually being a better tournament to watch / more entertaining etc

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What happens with a T20 world cup every two years is that there is months of preparation before it. The leagues aren't going any where. So every two years, we will be faced with 6 months or so of absolutely no test cricket like we have been seeing. It seems all right to make the argument that it means more important to international T20 rather than club T20. However, it only means more T20 and less of other cricket.

_Ed_

Is T20 feasible at the Olympics?
Yep, and I read somewhere that the IOC is interested. The only stumbling block was the ICC being concerned that it would detract from the prestige of ICC tournaments. I'll try to find that article.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yep, and I read somewhere that the IOC is interested. The only stumbling block was the ICC being concerned that it would detract from the prestige of ICC tournaments. I'll try to find that article.
Oh but the ICC detract prestige from their tournaments well enough on their own.

Guess they don't want someone else carving the roast.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cricket has kind of unique requirements that not every host nation would necessarily be easily able to fulfill with their current stadium set up. It's a lot of effort for a single event (2 if you add a tournament for the women).

Every likely nation has a boatload of football stadiums, and rugby field dimensions are effectively the same. Cricket would require new facilities to be built? Makes it less appealing.

TheJediBrah

Cricket has kind of unique requirements that not every host nation would necessarily be easily able to fulfill with their current stadium set up. It's a lot of effort for a single event (2 if you add a tournament for the women).

Every likely nation has a boatload of football stadiums, and rugby field dimensions are effectively the same. Cricket would require new facilities to be built? Makes it less appealing.
Sounds logical, but if they can play on the rugby grounds on NZ surely they can make do on rugby/soccer grounds in most nations. All you really need is someone to roll a pitch and the rest should be pretty straightforward.

The grounds might be a bit small, but that's the only real issue I could think of.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

Not for the contractors who get to load up on "world class' white elephant arena tenders :naughty:

Spikey

it'd 100% be "ICC dont get enough money out of it", regardless of what they say

91Jmay

International Coach
Seeing Australia fail in the group stages every 2 years is more fun than seeing them fail in the group stages every 4, especially as they aren't bad at that other World Cup format.