• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC allows batting team to choose one Powerplay

Do you think this new rule would make ODI cricket more interesting??

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't like the idea in principle, but I wasn't terribly keen on the Powerplays at all ITFP and they worked-out OK.

I don't see that much point in them unless they're taken at different stages of the innings, and this should undoubtedly help with that. But it could very well make the job of 1 or 2 bowlers per team that much more difficult.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Not a bad move, the ICC come in for a lot of criticism but it's good to see that they're concerned with making the game more palatable for the new audience that Twenty20 cricket is supposed to draw in. This change might favour batsmen slightly, but it favours good captaincy more than anything else.

The nonsense that people - including Allan Donald - are spouting about there being no point in bowlers any more and we might as well have bowling machines is totally irrelevant. The game will change, bowlers will adapt and the definition of "good bowling" will alter slightly, but people need to stop opposing every change that's made to the game and start accepting the fact that change is necessary. I bet football fans were saying decades ago that the introduction of the offside rule would make natural goalscorers obsolete - and has it? Not in the slightest.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
This has worked well in the Australian Domestic Comp, I don't mind the rule at all.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm whilst I don't usually have objections to trialling new laws, I'm not so sure this one will work out - we could see some ridiculous carnage in the death overs with the field up and batsman with nothing to lose.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The interesting thing about what my namesake Edmunds and Somerset mention is that 46-50 would possibly be the least useful time to take a Powerplay, and if batting sides regularly do this it'll work to the bowling team's advantage. Carnage already ensues in the last 5 overs. The sort of time a Powerplay would be especially useful would be sometime around the 35-40 over (obviously not always exactly) mark. That'd mean fielding captains had to think long and hard about when to employ their bowlers and when to take their own Powerplay.

The rule certainly has some promise but I'm not convinced it's going to work entirely for the best.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think this potentially is quite a decent idea actually, like Richard I would agree that it would more often than not be absolutely wasted in the last overs of the match though. Taking it in the middle of an innings or about 2/3 of the way through would allow (if all goes to plan) for the team's best batsman to already have been in for a while and got settled before then really laying into the opposition.

pup11

International Coach
As Richard said the Powerplays were hardly making much of a difference in their current state, as most of the fielding teams were basically keen on getting rid of 'em as quickly as possible, so with this new rule i think atleast some unpredictability would creep into the otherwise dull middle over period of an ODI game.

I hope this new rule works out well because this certainly has the capability of making things slightly more interesting.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not a bad move, the ICC come in for a lot of criticism but it's good to see that they're concerned with making the game more palatable for the new audience that Twenty20 cricket is supposed to draw in. This change might favour batsmen slightly, but it favours good captaincy more than anything else.

The nonsense that people - including Allan Donald - are spouting about there being no point in bowlers any more and we might as well have bowling machines is totally irrelevant. The game will change, bowlers will adapt and the definition of "good bowling" will alter slightly, but people need to stop opposing every change that's made to the game and start accepting the fact that change is necessary. I bet football fans were saying decades ago that the introduction of the offside rule would make natural goalscorers obsolete - and has it? Not in the slightest.
There's like, always, been an offside law, though. It was actually much stricter once, whereby if there were two men back (as to the current one) then you were offside. When they changed the rules, there was an influx of goals for the first few years. Was probably the beginning of sides moving from 2-3-5 sort of tactics to 4 at the back.

As for the cricket, I'll wait and see tbh

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you're up against a good death bowling side, then 46-50 would be the least preferred option for the powerplay.

If you've got Daren Powell bowling length at you (see WI v SA at the last World Cup), then let the carnage begin. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not sure you don't mean Ian Bradshaw TBH.

SA fan or no SA fan, I hated that moment. There's little I dislike more than seeing an excllent early\mid-innings bowler be forced into bowling at the death and get smashed. :(

slugger

State Vice-Captain
a batting team would be better off to force the bowling captains hand.. to use his most accuate bowlers when you the batting capt know you have batsmen in who could handle them...it could create some interesting situations..

i think the icc are doing there best in disrupting what has become to an extent a predicable game ..

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think it's a good move personally, though it won't arrest the decline in ODI cricket now T20 is here.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's the sign of a **** game when you have to keep editing the rules to keep people watching it.