• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Bell v David Boon

see thread title ffs

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bell is one of those players who are routinely ****canned to the point of it becoming a meme but then also come up a lot when talking about underrated players so it all evens out in a weird way. Chanderpaul is another. Nearly everyone who talks about him says he was selfish and and a bore but also an underrated gun.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've said it many times before, but Bell is actually really underappreciated imo, and I say that as someone who thinks that the highest accolade you could reasonably bestow on him is that he was a 'good' player. Everyone fails in tough situations sometimes, and everyone makes runs when the pressure is of at some point in their career and tbf with how his career started out in particular he, on the whole, was probably not enough of the former compared to the latter. But people seem to really attack his low-pressure runs as totally worthless and sometimes try to write-off his high pressure runs as an anomaly rather than giving him credit for them.

Basically, I tend to boil it down to: if England were somehow offered a choice that the career of the next batsmen they gave a test debut to would essentially mirror Ian Bell's, or could just be left open to fate as per usual, I can't honestly see anyone going for the latter choice.

Boon was better though.
Pretty much this. Boon cut his teeth against some crazy good attacks, especially the Windies. Tough as teak. His move to number three with Tubby opening in 89 basically set Australia on the path to becoming number one

Tom Flint

International Regular
Bell is one of those players who are routinely ****canned to the point of it becoming a meme but then also come up a lot when talking about underrated players so it all evens out in a weird way. Chanderpaul is another. Nearly everyone who talks about him says he was selfish and and a bore but also an underrated gun.
I always thought chanderpaul was regarded as an atg and didn't think he was ever underrated, certainly a level or two above bell or boon. The way he batted with the tail all those years was the opposite of selfish imo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll never forgive him for the c&b he claimed in Faisalabad 2005.
Ha, that was a particularly egregious example of the "one hand, one bounce" rule, yes.

Pretty sure that was Ding Dong's sole test wicket too.

Only one of these guys' name can be used as part of an insult. /Thread.
Not true, actually. "Dave Boon" is ****ernee rhyming slang for a rather old-school racial slur. Not proud I know that, but there it is.

Anyhoo, have to go with the big fella here. Think Bell is mildly underrated generally, but Boonie was a cut above. Averaged more playing in a harder era for batsman.

Bijed

International Regular
I always thought chanderpaul was regarded as an atg and didn't think he was ever underrated, certainly a level or two above bell or boon. The way he batted with the tail all those years was the opposite of selfish imo.
Chanderpaul seemed to be the not-out batsmen quite often so I guess that, coupled with his generally slow scoring could be construed to mean 'selfish' if you were so inclined. Was definitely capable of scoring quickly - someone posted a video of a ridiculously fast ton a while back, so ironically maybe instances like that led some people to conclude that he played massively within himself out of some selfish motive. Also batted primarily at 5 or 6, which people can sometimes decide means an unwillingness to "bat where the team needs them"

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well, TIL the various ways David Boon and its variations can be used as insults. :)

But like BB mentioned, to answer seriously to the question, Bell is rather under rated as a batsman by most cricket fans, including me at times but for this comparison, gotta go with Boonie. A very under rated role in the emergence of Australia (or re-emergence) as a cricket powerhouse.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I get that but I always saw it as, he got his head down and kept holding up his end while having to watch hos team mates throwing their wickets away. He barely ever just thought sod it I can't be bothered to hang around watching this.
He definitely could score quickly I remember watching him at Notts in t20s

ImpatientLime

International Regular
i just re watched his durham innings and he creams harris through the covers on multiple occasions whilst none of his teammates can get near rhino.

bloke was in the zone that series.