• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I will pay to watch Dhoni in action, says Gilchrist

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
True, that his style of play has changed since he has taken up the captaincy and that has only made him a more responsible and better batsman, i don't think there is much of need for him to go back to his swashbuckling ways as there are many other stroke-makers in the Indian batting line-up.

Anyways Gilly made this statement to just woo the Indian media and fans more than anything else, he has always been pretty good with words and he definitely knows what to say and where to say it.
I agree that he need not go back to his old swashbuckling style but I dont think thats because India has lots of stroke players. This is not about strokeplayers. It is about batsmen who can play whirlwind like knocks. I mentioned, Klusenar, Gilchrist and Razzaq, one could add others from around the world. In India we had Dhoni and to an extent Yuvraj but he is in very poor form and in any case this has to be someone who bats at 7 or 8 in the order. At best at 6 in the order.

But I agree it cant be Dhoni, not because his other job suits him better but because he doesn't seem capable of doing his former job against the best of bowling at a pinch.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On reflection, I bet Gilly doesn't have to pay to get in to watch Dhoni, or anyone else for that matter.

Unless the payment he's talking about is his Foxtel subscription.

pup11

International Coach
I agree that he need not go back to his old swashbuckling style but I dont think thats because India has lots of stroke players. This is not about strokeplayers. It is about batsmen who can play whirlwind like knocks. I mentioned, Klusenar, Gilchrist and Razzaq, one could add others from around the world. In India we had Dhoni and to an extent Yuvraj but he is in very poor form and in any case this has to be someone who bats at 7 or 8 in the order. At best at 6 in the order.

But I agree it cant be Dhoni, not because his other job suits him better but because he doesn't seem capable of doing his former job against the best of bowling at a pinch.
AWTA.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't believe no-one has done this.....

:naughty:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Can't believe no-one has done this.....

:naughty:
haha...infact thats the first thing that came to my mind when I came across this news but still feel these sort of comments are exclusive to guys like Viv, Ambrose, Akram, Warne only:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Doesn't it depend on what role he's had to play in recent times?

I recall some of the ODIs out here last summer, and there were times when he came in with India in trouble and steered them through in a slower manner than his "old" style.

Haven't seen too much of him since then, but I wonder whether he simply showed his versatility as an ODI batsman, and the old hard-hitting Dhoni is still there, just waiting for the right time of the game and the right form, to show itself again.
Yeah, my thoughts precisely on the matter, FTR.