• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I have promises to keep !!

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
jamesicus said:

Robert Frost:
Going through woods on a snowy evening
Sorry, should be:

Stopping by woods on a snowy evening

..... just a filler during the waiting period.

James

archie mac

International Coach
jamesicus said:
Sorry, should be:

James
Very good, I enjoyed that. Can the next one have more of a Cricket theme please :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
jamesicus said:
You mean like so many of the other threads/postings here? :D
I can speak for one thread - no one should have a problem with a poor duck writing a little diary. :(

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesicus said:
Sorry, should be:

James
Ah, good to see someone understood my 'Mr. Frost' reference (if you noticed it, that is).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Robertinho said:
Hmm... so SJS, did you just plan on reminding us about your little promise, and not posting pics? :p
Aha. It workd finally !!

Whet your appetite.

SJS at home with his 'kids' after accomplishing the tough task of making a dunce hat

Attachments

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Hooray! :D Another watershed moment in Cricketweb history. Good on you for keeping your promise, SJS.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
jamesicus said:

Robert Frost:
Going through woods on a snowy evening
yes James. This poem inspired the thread name.

I discovered this poem and through it Frost as a 14 year old when India's first and most loved prime minister died and it was informed that this was his favourite poem. I think they also found his diary on which the last four lines are written in Nehru's own hand.

They are engraved in broze on his memorial in Delhi. I repeat.

The woods are dark, lovely and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

They sounded so appropriate for he (Nehru) died with India at a very critical juncture as a young independent nation and very touching.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
...and I am going to retain this avataar and signature till all photographic evidence of my having kept my promise is posted here :D

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was not aware of Mr. Nehru's fondness for this lovely poem -- thank you for that information, SJS..

One of the most famous uses of it was by Ted Kennedy at the funeral service for his brother.

I have rendered this poem using a great variety of writing hands and media over the years. The image I used here was from a layout rough I rendered many years ago using a hand cut goose quill and vermilion/sepia inks on Rives paper.

James