• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am going through hell' - Shoaib

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Cricinfo staff

March 8, 2007

Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Asif will be missing in action for the second time in a major tournament, having missed the Champions Trophy last year © AFP

Shoaib Akhtar is "going through hell" after failing to make it to the World Cup in the Caribbean. He was withdrawn from Pakistan's squad on fitness grounds a week ago, after failing to recover from knee and hamstring injuries.

"I can't describe it in words what it means to miss an event like the World Cup," Akhtar, the pace bowler, told AFP. "I am going through hell. I have been waiting for this event for two years and to play in a cricket-loving region like the Caribbean was my dream. Not being able to play in the World Cup is like taking all my dreams away."

Akhtar said he had played only one match in the West Indies in 2000 and was anxious to play because every paceman wanted to do well in the Caribbean, which is known as a fast bowlers' paradise. Already 31, this is also likely to be his last World Cup, a fact he appeared to confirm. "I wanted to be in the Caribbean and I wanted to help my team win but unfortunately my injury forced me to miss the big event and the chance will never come again."

His new-ball partner Mohammad Asif was also pulled out of the 15-man squad due to an elbow injury, badly hitting Pakistan's chances in the World Cup. Though injuries remain the official reasons for their withdrawal it is understood that continuing doping-related concerns clinched the issue. The pair tested positive last year for Nandrolone in internal dope tests conducted just before the Champions Trophy got underway, but their bans were eventually overturned, much to the chagrin of the global cricket community.

But Akhtar said it was not new that people doubted his injury. "I have always played to the best of my abilities but people have doubted my integrity. My injuries are always doubted as if I am feigning it and I always had to prove that I am unfit. People don't understand. Why would I not the play the game I love?"

He has plans to start training again in two weeks, once the knee injury has healed. "My next target is the Twenty20 World Cup and then we have two good home series against South Africa and Australia, so I will gear up for them."

© Cricinfo

only god can judge people

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
^ sure he deserves to play. if buttholes, racists, match fixers, hypocrites, and morons can get to play...then why not him. :)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
My immediate reaction on seeing the title of this thread was "serves him right, he's a drug cheat". Don't see that opinion changing much any time soon, sadly.

haroon510

International 12th Man
and Chuck Norris. Shoaib doesn't deserve to play any more international cricket, he should be thankful for getting off ridiculously lightly.

if u r talking about the article that was written in " the surfer", i found that article pretty baised for some reason. it is my opinion. it is a free world every one is entitled to his or her opinion. what i think is that shoaib is being critisized not for drug cheat, or any other off or on field actions but for the fact that he " turned on against Aussies". i just don't see the fairness here. before shoaib akhter, one of the most conterversial cricketer was Shane warne. i don't hate Shane warne. he is one of my fivrate cricketers but in his career he has been involved from match fixing to drug cheat to even *** scandles. he is considered to be legend now and shoaib akhter who wasn't involve in half of the conterversies that shane warne was involved don't deserve to play. that show unfairness.
then there is comments of cricketers like hayden, symonds and even the legendary allen border critising shoaib and asif while forgeting that one of his own country man and fellow cricketer once used drugs also just proves this has to do with something personal then the drug issuesor any other on and off field issues of shoaib akhter.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ sure he deserves to play. if buttholes, racists, match fixers, hypocrites, and morons can get to play...then why not him. :)
If anyone's put him through hell, it's himself.

If buttholes weren't allowed to play, there'd be no World CUp - everyone has one.:dry:

As for hyprocrites, well the whole thing is being run by the ICC afterall.:cool:

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
He should be out of cricket for two years, after that he should be allowed to play once again.However i don't think that he will be able to play again after two year long absence.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
very sorry for the bloke, hopefully he can come back later this year bowling quickly as usual & give Pakistan's bowling attack some needed cutting edge in what would be the last phase of his controversial career.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Should have thought about Hell before you took steroids, shouldn't you?

I have no sympathy for dopers, I think doping bring disrepute to a gentleman's game, anyone caught doping should be banned for life, end of story.

If Mr.Akhtar ever gets to play the game again then he should consider himself lucky.

R_D

International Debutant
Hopefully won't see him playing criket again, that'll be best. His own fault, don't feel one bit sorry for him or Asif. They are lucky they haven't even goten any punishment for it.
ICC should do a drug test and ban these cheats for life, no need for drug cheats in cricket or in any sport for that matter.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
Hopefully won't see him playing criket again, that'll be best. His own fault, don't feel one bit sorry for him or Asif. They are lucky they haven't even goten any punishment for it.
ICC should do a drug test and ban these cheats for life, no need for drug cheats in cricket or in any sport for that matter.

Don't see that happening atall. There is only a 2 year penalty for first offence, which i beleive is appropriate. When we take into consideration that neither PCb, nor ICC had ever briefed Asif about prohibited drug, nor had he any idea about any medicine, then a life ban on such a cricketer for first offence would be plain stupid.It would be better to ban the officials who never did the job and never briefed the players about banned drugs.

I have sympathy for Asif but not much for Akhtar.Asif would hopfully be back after missing cricket for 1 or two years, however for Akhtar, a comeback would be extremely difficult.

Evermind

International Debutant
It's alrite, Shoaib: if you were playing, credibility of the WC would be going through hell. Rather you than it.

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Call him cheat, doper, chucker or whatever you like, but the fact is when he plays he pulls crowd, media attention, and gives his opponents a scare.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Don't really have sympathy for him. He's had his 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th chances already. I feel sorry for Asif much moreso than Shoaib.