• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hypothetically speaking...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
...if Andrew Flintoff were to get injured, what sort of player would England replace him with? Not meaning "replace Flintoff" the player, but would take his spot in the side.

Another batsman?

Use a Collingwood/Bell type to fill in for a few overs if needed?

Would they try and find an inferior all-rounder to keep the balance?

Would they back themselves to bat Geraint at 6 (:blink:) and keep 5 out-and-out bowlers?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Whichever one of Collingwood and Bell wasn't already in the side would probably come in, with Collingwood being ahead of Bell in the pecking order if they both didn't play. If they were both already in the side, I actually believe Rikki Clarke would come in at six.

Geraint at six and five bowlers wouldn't work, we don't have a strong enough tail for that. Plus, Geraint's never a six anyway.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well i presume England still have the philosphy od playing 5-bowlers i.e 4 fast bowlers & 1 spinner, so if Freddie does get injured the best thing to do would be to drop the spinner & pick an extra batsman.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The continuing presence of Rikki Clarke in "A" teams & tours I think suggests that he's seen as the nearest player we have to a straight like-for-like. It seems like he's been around for ever, but I think he's actually still only 24 so he has time to develop.

As of now tho, I'd agree with Barney. We'd bung in Bell (assuming he's not already in the team) & cobble together a few overs of medium-pace from him & Colly. Geraint at six is scary enough, but any of our bowlers at seven is absolutely terrifying!!

Autobahn

State 12th Man
BoyBrumby said:
The continuing presence of Rikki Clarke in "A" teams & tours I think suggests that he's seen as the nearest player we have to a straight like-for-like. It seems like he's been around for ever, but I think he's actually still only 24 so he has time to develop.

As of now tho, I'd agree with Barney. We'd bung in Bell (assuming he's not already in the team) & cobble together a few overs of medium-pace from him & Colly. Geraint at six is scary enough, but any of our bowlers at seven is absolutely terrifying!!
Except Giles really.

And if flintoff did get injured:

In ODIs: Rikki Clarke, McGrath, Ravinder Bopara, Loudon or Dalrymple (and play another paceman) all are canidates

In tests: Bell or Colly whichever one isn't playing, none of the above players have test-level batting or bowling.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England certianly like having 5 bowlers but i think if Flintoff got injured tomorow they would play the extra batsman and play 4 bowlers with Colingwood filling in. Longer term i thnik Loudon or Bopara would be the ones that would replace Freddy.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
personally given Giles' fitness problems i think England may be moving towards a spinning allrounder as a replacement for Freddie, then play the best 4 fast bowlers.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
personally given Giles' fitness problems i think England may be moving towards a spinning allrounder as a replacement for Freddie, then play the best 4 fast bowlers.
Loudon?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Just pointing it out to the rest of the class, with a question mark just incase someone decent has sprung up without me noticing.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
steds said:
Just pointing it out to the rest of the class, with a question mark just incase someone decent has sprung up without me noticing.
Dalrymple's not far behind IMHO. A clearly better bat, but his offies need work.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BoyBrumby said:
Dalrymple's not far behind IMHO. A clearly better bat, but his offies need work.
they certainly do. I saw him on sunday and his bowling was very poor not in the same league as Udal.