• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hussain steps down as England skipper

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
They were commenting on the possibility of him resigning. He was acting rather odd during this Test match I have to say.

Langeveldt

Soutie
What an absolutely brilliant captain, sorry to see him hand it over..

Good timing? Awful timing!, suddenly all Graham Smiths inexperience goes out of the window, because England are in the same boat now...

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
that was the place where they had the upper hand...

sorry to see him resign, and i cannot believe it. great captain, but he may need this to help him focus on his batting.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
qualification of my statement that it was 'perfect timing'

Nasser Hussain feels that he is not in the right frame of mind to carry out his duties - in short, he is mentally drained.

This may be because of the harsh treatment meted out in his direction by the press or just a post-WC2003 hangover (remember the horrific pressure he was put under, how the ECB had seemingly deserted him - and how well Hussain dealt with it. Lesser men would have walked away).

His successor has had a great start - ODI trophies in the bank.

England have not done too badly of late in the longer version (OK, 2 wins against poor opposition and a 'losing draw' against the second-best team in the world).

Hussain and Vaughan are totally different in style and approach - not a good idea when dealing with a young, impressionable side.

Hussain is still going to be around this summer - he's still a helluva player and losing the 'pressure cooker' of captaincy may be of great benefit to him from a playing perspective. The drawback could be that the pressure will now transfer to Vaughan's shoulders - but he seems so laid-back. (hope he's not another Gower)

I cannot think of a better time to hand over the reins. Hussain's timing after the World Cup was impeccable - and so is this.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say with Michael Vaughan being successful in the ODI's this season as captain, Hussain probably heard the drums getting louder & louder.

Although that doesn't automatically mean Vaughan will be an overnight success in Tests as captain.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jacques Rudolph said:
But dont you think that its a little bit dodgy having that happen in the middle of a very important series?
Not at all. Nasser Hussain owes nothing to the ECB after the disgraceful way they deserted him ove the 'zimbabwe safety issue'. I'm only surprised that he didn't hand over the reins a fortnight ago (as the duck intimated - there is some element of truth in some of those articles - you just have to know where to look).

Nasser has been a (relative) success for England as captain - the best captain since Brearley I reckon.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jacques Rudolph said:
Good timing? Awful timing!, suddenly all Graham Smiths inexperience goes out of the window, because England are in the same boat now...
Except England are appointing a 27 year old with experience of International Cricket and a guaranteed member of the side.

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
England don't seem very lively and noisy in the field with Hussain as captain, but South Africa did. Maybe Vaughnie might make them more lively with a younger catain.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Except England are appointing a 27 year old with experience of International Cricket and a guaranteed member of the side.

Smiths position in the side is hardly dicey after 277 and 85...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Finally England give the job to a player who deserves his place in the side on merit, unlike Vaughan's position in the ODI side...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jacques Rudolph said:
Smiths position in the side is hardly dicey after 277 and 85...
But when he was appointed he was not a certain pick (hence he didn't make the World Cup)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Finally England give the job to a player who deserves his place in the side on merit, unlike Vaughan's position in the ODI side...
So being the best batsman we have doesn't merit a place then?

Just because he has a low average doesn't mean he's not deserving of a spot.

Hell, if we selected on averages he would never have played for England, yet statistically he is the best opener in Test Match history.

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
But when he was appointed he was not a certain pick (hence he didn't make the World Cup)

I agree, I think the UCBSA backed a hunch, nobody agreed with them, but it could well pay massive dividends judging by the way he has started...

Vaughan's position in the One Day setup IMHO is decidedly dicey... He needs some runs, no worries about his test match prowess though...

However i dont like the idea of having seperate captains in One dayers and tests

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jacques Rudolph said:
Vaughan's position in the One Day setup IMHO is decidedly dicey... He needs some runs, no worries about his test match prowess though...
Vaughan in 2003 - 510 runs in 18 innings at 31.87 with 4 fifties.

Other Englishmen in 2003:

Trescothick 771
Flintoff 451
Knight 339
Collingwood 289
Stewart 287

Only 3 times in his last 24 knocks has been dismissed in single figure.

So if he needs runs, what about the rest of the team?