• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Howcome Dravid had never been accused of being Selfish?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
They are stunningly similar statistics.

I guess the simple answer is that McDravid doesn't hog the limelight by bowling too.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
They are stunningly similar statistics.

I guess the simple answer is that McDravid doesn't hog the limelight by bowling too.
He keeps wicket, though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Try googling the phrase Dravid selfish.

13400 hits

I spent 30 second looking and here are a couple of opinions I found and there are many more I could not be bothered to check out.

"I find and strongly believe, Dravid is the most selfish cricketer same as Ganguly. Dravid only thinks of making runs for himself, but never counts how many balls he wastes, how much is strike rate.
If strike rate is considered Dravid is the lowest grade batsman. If you look other great Test players, no one has such a minnow strike rate.
If that is the case no team can throw a challenge to win match or declare innings if players have selfish attitude like Dravid."

http://groups.msn.com/MSNIndiaCrick...essage=15024&LastModified=4675554226876026016

"Dravid is a most selfish batsman and though individual statistics may be in his favor he is more a burden than an asset."

http://cricket.indiatimes.com/opinions/msid-1056979,curpg-7.cms

The Dravid selfish debate is as hotly discussed as the Kallis issue. Just probably not where you hang out.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
The Dravid selfish debate is as hotly discussed as the Kallis issue. Just probably not where you hang out.
To be fair, not too many people on Lime Street talk about Kallis either. ;)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably because Dravid has more backs-to-the-wall hundreds than Kallis. It's obviously difficult to quantify but the perception is that when a good knock is absolutely needed (as opposed to 'it would be nice if someone got a ton today), Dravid is there and doing it more than Kallis. The current Test against England is a perfect example of exactly what Dravid has done for years.

Just yet another example in the 23691785618645877 gathered which show why stats don't tell the full story and should be analysed and interpreted before conclusions are drawn.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I'm concerned there's 1 reason... 1 main reason, at least.
Kallis is South African. Dravid is Indian.
There's far more generalised-dislike of South Africa than there is of India.
Many of the innings which have caused the "selfish" tag to be lobbed on Kallis have been misnomers - if Kallis talked more he'd have dispelled the tag long ago.
Both Kallis and Dravid are essentially shy people but nonetheless Dravid has always managed to convey very well what an incredibly likeable guy he is. Kallis has not.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
2 reasons:

1) India have a real need for "wall" in their side with all the strokemakers and such around him.

2) Dravid has the ability to change up gears, which kallis either lacks or doesn't want to do.

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid's cautious approach has rescued India on innumerable occasions. Furthermore, he's shown that he can step it up a notch at the end of a one-day match when acceleration is needed. I was a little disappointed in Dravid's delayed acceleration at Nagpur, but he himself admitted later that he made a mistake there. Calling Dravid selfish is absurd. He has kept wickets and opened the batting for the team.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
Probably because Dravid has more backs-to-the-wall hundreds than Kallis. It's obviously difficult to quantify but the perception is that when a good knock is absolutely needed (as opposed to 'it would be nice if someone got a ton today), Dravid is there and doing it more than Kallis. The current Test against England is a perfect example of exactly what Dravid has done for years.

Just yet another example in the 23691785618645877 gathered which show why stats don't tell the full story and should be analysed and interpreted before conclusions are drawn.

agreed

howardj

International Coach
Richard said:
As far as I'm concerned there's 1 reason... 1 main reason, at least.
Kallis is South African. Dravid is Indian.
There's far more generalised-dislike of South Africa than there is of India.
I think there's definitely an element of that.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Thats an incredible stat.. I don't think Kallis is by no means selfish.. everyone can't be playing the same role like what Punter plays like..
Both South Africa and India's Key men are Kallis and Dravid respectively.. so they would take time to build the innings, while the rest work around them... so i don't see much of a selfish aspect in these two fine batsmen..

Hope i made sense.. lolz

howardj

International Coach
I think Kallis is more ultra-careful, than selfish. Not to say that there's not an element of selfishness there, but it's mainly the former, I reckon.

R_D

International Debutant
Its probaly because Dravid can change gears if needed where's Kallis seems to bat the same no matter what the situation. Perfect example the 3rd test in Sydney.. SA needed quick runs so they could declare but thnx to Kallis approach of trying to build up his avg they ended up losing... he didn't even try to accelerate instead he was quite happy blocking and takin his time. I think his whole team was peeved at him just a tad. That inning just about summed up Kallis for me.

thierry henry

International Coach
Richard is right. Nationality and perceived personality.

There's also a general bias towards West Indian cricketers for some reason, if yall haven't noticed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Maybe the difference is to do with the other facets of their game.

One of them does things he doesn't like doing because it helps the team, whilst the other opts out of doing things when it looks a bit tricky, but is first in line when it's an easy job...

tooextracool

International Coach
Goughy said:
Try googling the phrase Dravid selfish.

13400 hits

I spent 30 second looking and here are a couple of opinions I found and there are many more I could not be bothered to check out.

"I find and strongly believe, Dravid is the most selfish cricketer same as Ganguly. Dravid only thinks of making runs for himself, but never counts how many balls he wastes, how much is strike rate.
If strike rate is considered Dravid is the lowest grade batsman. If you look other great Test players, no one has such a minnow strike rate.
If that is the case no team can throw a challenge to win match or declare innings if players have selfish attitude like Dravid."

http://groups.msn.com/MSNIndiaCrick...essage=15024&LastModified=4675554226876026016

"Dravid is a most selfish batsman and though individual statistics may be in his favor he is more a burden than an asset."

http://cricket.indiatimes.com/opinions/msid-1056979,curpg-7.cms

there are 13400 people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about then. When a player(not to mention captain) decides to change his batting position where hes succeeded at virtually all his career just to accomodate players like yuvraj and ganguly selfish is clearly not the word. Statistics cant always be relied upon, because i cant remember Rahul Dravid not trying to do something no matter how out of character in order to benefit the team.
As far as selfish by blocking is concerned, that in itself that makes absolutely no sense. the most selfish player IMO, is that one that tries to smack half of what he plays out of the stadium, without for one second considering the state of the game or the situation of his team.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
there are 13400 people who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about then. When a player(not to mention captain) decides to change his batting position where hes succeeded at virtually all his career just to accomodate players like yuvraj and ganguly selfish is clearly not the word. Statistics cant always be relied upon, because i cant remember Rahul Dravid not trying to do something no matter how out of character in order to benefit the team.
As far as selfish by blocking is concerned, that in itself that makes absolutely no sense. the most selfish player IMO, is that one that tries to smack half of what he plays out of the stadium, without for one second considering the state of the game or the situation of his team.
I personnaly do not think either of them are selfish. My reply was in response to the question. Read the topic of the thread, it is obvious that Dravid being selfish is discussed and believed.