• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would Sachin Tendulkar have fared in T20s?

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Might have misunderstood the question - I'm asking who's the biggest failure essentially, whom you would have expected to suceed in T20s based on their tests/ODI records (or even early T20 records). Can't be an old-ish player who came into it too late.
AB at an international level. I kinda consider IPL to be the top format in the game though, and he has been excellent there.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He would do well in T20s.. was able to play aggressively and was a quick runner between wickets.

Tom Flint

International Regular
You'd think so but sport is weird sometimes - see also Sehwag being a far better test batsman than an ODI player, when you'd perhaps think it was the other way around. Of course, Viv, Sachin, Ponting and Lara are several leagues ahead of Sehwag as batsmen.

Which begs the question - who is the greatest player (that you'd expect to have been a real success in T20s) who hasn't been? (Ignoring any 'older' players who only took to the format way past their prime).
Steyn

Tom Flint

International Regular
Jermaine blackwood although not world class in any format is strange that what I think should be his weakest format (tests) is actually the team he is most likely to be selected for with the WI. And t20 which his playing style suits much more doesnt seem to be anywhere near their best xi and never in the running for the ipl or other big domestic leagues.

Eoin Morgan is also rubbish is t20s.

JOJOXI

Has a superb T20I record - 64 wickets in 47 games at an economy under 7 - are there many pacers better then him even in T20. Until 2013 he had brilliant figures in the IPL too and has only had 1 season with an extended run of games in the IPL since then. Injuries becoming a bigger issue for him too nowadays

Tom Flint

International Regular
Steyn is one of my favourite players so I'm glad you have corrected me. I've just checked his intl and domestic record and your right he must be one of the best.
I guess I was just going on recent memory?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything it's 50 over cricket where Steyn had a curious lack of success at times, was merely a good ODI bowler, never a great one

For all people talk about picking an unfit/underdone Philander over Abbott in the 2015 WC semi, it was Steyns struggles that day that really cost South Africa the game

_00_deathscar

International Regular
If anything it's 50 over cricket where Steyn had a curious lack of success at times, was merely a good ODI bowler, never a great one

For all people talk about picking an unfit/underdone Philander over Abbott in the 2015 WC semi, it was Steyns struggles that day that really cost South Africa the game
It's a semi. South Africa's struggles were that it was South Africa playing - they could have had a peak (South African) Bradman, Kohli, Smith, Tendulkar, Ponting and Lara in their top 7 and they would have choked.

JOJOXI

Steyn is one of my favourite players so I'm glad you have corrected me. I've just checked his intl and domestic record and your right he must be one of the best.
I guess I was just going on recent memory?
Guess T20Is aren't always as memorable, am a fan of the format but moments in Test matches stick in the memory more and yeah always the effect of recent performances weighing more heavily on the mind.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Yeah, in ODIs Steyn's record is pretty much the same as Morkel's, which you wouldn't have expected given the difference in their test records (or T20 for that matter).