• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How would Sachin Tendulkar have fared in T20s?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Not a knock out, but this was an important match.

Yep, remember this one. Was probably the only reason which drove Ganguly to chase in the finals. Very similar to Azhar's decision in Eden 1996 after what Jayasuriya did to India a few weeks earlier.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gillespie was the one who pinged him LBW too anyway. I often got the feeling that with McGrath, if he did not get you at first, the really good batsmen seemed to be able to deal with him better. Of course, his greatness was that he got them so often so soon anyways.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Man, just look at the middle order strike rates there. I remember watching this match, Tendulkar was batting well before they collectively robbed him of the strike and completely stalled the momentum.
Reaffirms my long term belief that Ganguly and Dravid were 2 of the worst ever in strike rotation(and precisely for this reason, I wouldn't have either in my ATG indian ODI team), and that too in an era when ODI cricket was kind of fully developed. Being very poor in this aspect not just affects one's own stats but messes up the momentum of the innings and costs the wicket of the team's best batsman.

srbhkshk

International Captain
The reason I remember this match (apart from the shameful defeat) is that Sachin hit a lovely straight drive at some point of time, perhaps the only good part of the match.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pretty sure that ball did not keep low, btw, which is what crapinfo commentary says happened. Its the classic Sachin/Laxman reaction when they get pinged, bowled or LBW. :laugh:

Sachin just walked across and missed the flick, coz it was the cutter and held up in the pitch.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He hit some great cover drives against Brett Lee. Just batted on a different level throughout that World Cup. As good as his legendary '98 exploits.

trundler

Yeah but he choked against the real test i.e Mark Waugh's hand grenades so everything he'd done up to that point should be disregarded

TheJediBrah

Pretty sure that ball did not keep low, btw, which is what crapinfo commentary says happened. Its the classic Sachin/Laxman reaction when they get pinged, bowled or LBW. :laugh:

Sachin just walked across and missed the flick, coz it was the cutter and held up in the pitch.
It was a Gillespie off-break slower ball. Didn't keep low, but Sachin played all around it and clearly didn't pick it. Wasn't pretty.

The tournament was literally called the ICC KnockOuts. Obviously a lot more pressure than silly WC games. :p
haha I remember that tournament, if it's the one that NZ won in 2000. It was like a precursor to the champions trophy but no prelim games, they literally flew over there, played a quarter-final and if you lost you went straight home.

Last edited:

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
he averaged almost 33 in T20s that too in the final stages of his career. Would surely have averaged atleast 38-42 if he played for India in his prime days. what ever be, this masala form does not count for much when compared to the 2 main formats.

Kirkut

International Regular
Not too different from his top IPL performances.

If Walsh and Waqar were playing T20s, then Tendulkar would have probably hit their slower deliveries and yorkers for fours at his prime. But he was no AB De Villiers when it came to range of shot making.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
Anyone who batted as well as he did in the IPL - when an old man and new to the format and with the burden of being a superstar who finds himself forced by fans to prize his wicket more than might be beneficial for the T20 format - would have been a great T20 player. Certain great players of yesterday - Viv, Tendy, Ponting, Lara - one instinctively knows would have adapted to the T20 format.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Anyone who batted as well as he did in the IPL - when an old man and new to the format and with the burden of being a superstar who finds himself forced by fans to prize his wicket more than might be beneficial for the T20 format - would have been a great T20 player. Certain great players of yesterday - Viv, Tendy, Ponting, Lara - one instinctively knows would have adapted to the T20 format.
You'd think so but sport is weird sometimes - see also Sehwag being a far better test batsman than an ODI player, when you'd perhaps think it was the other way around. Of course, Viv, Sachin, Ponting and Lara are several leagues ahead of Sehwag as batsmen.

Which begs the question - who is the greatest player (that you'd expect to have been a real success in T20s) who hasn't been? (Ignoring any 'older' players who only took to the format way past their prime).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is really a subjective question though. To me, its hard to go past Sir Gary Sobers. He would have been the ultimate T20 player. ONe of the greatest and strokefilled batsman who can tonk extreme pace and mystery spin just as easily as regular batsmen tonk slow long hops, a versatile bowler who can bowl in the style required based on pitch as well as opposition batsman and a brilliant all round fieldsman covering catching positions to inner circle to the deep, all being one of the best fieldsmen ever in each of those positions.

Just don't think there could be anyone better suited to be the best in this format, who never got the chance to play.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
That is really a subjective question though. To me, its hard to go past Sir Gary Sobers. He would have been the ultimate T20 player. ONe of the greatest and strokefilled batsman who can tonk extreme pace and mystery spin just as easily as regular batsmen tonk slow long hops, a versatile bowler who can bowl in the style required based on pitch as well as opposition batsman and a brilliant all round fieldsman covering catching positions to inner circle to the deep, all being one of the best fieldsmen ever in each of those positions.

Just don't think there could be anyone better suited to be the best in this format, who never got the chance to play.
Might have misunderstood the question - I'm asking who's the biggest failure essentially, whom you would have expected to suceed in T20s based on their tests/ODI records (or even early T20 records). Can't be an old-ish player who came into it too late.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Silly me. That is harder to explain. But if I have to guess I would go with Sehwag still. Never was the force he threatened to be.