• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How to bowl at the death?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
In the enviable minds of CW members, what are people's preferred strategies for death bowling and why? Why is your strategy better than other strategies, what is wrong with the other strategies and who are some examples of how to do it well?

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Yorker, yorker, bounce, slow ball, full, yorker. Vary that up.

(Yorker being anything that's length - not necessarily at the stumps).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Set the field for a specific delivery, say a length slower ball. Then yoker, yorker, yorker. If batsman hits it for runs, then he's good and bowl another yorker. 20% of the time the slower length ball can come in.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On EA Cricket 07, I used to set a guy at backward square and bowl Yorkers... it worked everytime.

Batsman would try to flick it and it would end up straight into the hands of the fielder placed at backward square.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
/ thread

modern tactic of bowling liquorice allsorts fails just as often as it works because the bowler can't get in a groove and just bowls bulk wides and **** balls
You and me both brother.

I still think part of it is an IPL/domestic T20 comp audition problem. As I've said previously, 3-40 probably looks better to scouters than 1-28, even if it's not in the team's interest.

I can buy that maybe certain grounds might demand an adaptation to the plan - ie Eden Park, cutters into the deck might be a better idea than yorkers (especially straight and full) as if you miss you mark even slightly you're conceding six. But even then, if you exectue and they're not looking to ramp, it should work out for you.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
First ball: Yorker
Second ball: Bouncer
Third ball: Slower ball on the stumps
Fourth ball: Around the wicket and bouncer aimed at body
Fifth ball: A fast ball just inside the offside wide line
Sixth ball: Yorker again

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The first thing about bowling at the death is to not be predictable. Which kinda renders the discussion a bit useless, doesn't it? It is not just about what you bowl but what the batsman thinks or knows you can bowl, based on your previous bowling (in that game or before) and the fields that are set etc. As long as you have 3 or 4 different varieties of balls that you can nail, you are ok more often than not. Also remember going at less than 10 runs an over and less than 2 boundaries an over is actually good death bowling in most games.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
As a right arm pace bowler, I usually go around the wicket with a packed off-side field, try to bowl leg-cutters that pitch in line with the stumps and move away. Also bowl an odd full delivery wide outside the off-stump. If I come across someone who is good in the off-side, I go back to yorkers and slower balls.

I can't stress enough on the importance of a good leg-cutter, it's just another delivery at the highest level, but at club level or lower, batsmen are almost never equipped to play it.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Depends on the batsman, innings, whether you're trying to get him out or contain the runs.

Yorkers, as tempting as they may be are fraught with risk. One slight misplacement and they'll be carted for 6. Be aware that this is the most tense situation and you need to have nerves of steel to deliver with pin point accuracy.

That over that Stokes bowled to Braithwaite in the T20 final was attempted yorkers - had the batsman stepped forward as a bowler would have expected him to in a death over. But he stayed back and carted 4 sixes.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yorkers, as tempting as they may be are fraught with risk. One slight misplacement and they'll be carted for 6. Be aware that this is the most tense situation and you need to have nerves of steel to deliver with pin point accuracy.

That over that Stokes bowled to Braithwaite in the T20 final was attempted yorkers - had the batsman stepped forward as a bowler would have expected him to in a death over. But he stayed back and carted 4 sixes.
Yes - I think the "yorkers yorkers yorkers" brigade neglect the high risk in yorkers. And also the predictability factor.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The first thing about bowling at the death is to not be predictable. Which kinda renders the discussion a bit useless, doesn't it? It is not just about what you bowl but what the batsman thinks or knows you can bowl, based on your previous bowling (in that game or before) and the fields that are set etc. As long as you have 3 or 4 different varieties of balls that you can nail, you are ok more often than not. Also remember going at less than 10 runs an over and less than 2 boundaries an over is actually good death bowling in most games.
You act like this is a commonly accepted premise but I think some people think you should always try to hit the yorker on the basis that there isn't likely to be many runs if you get it right.

To be clear - I totally agree with all you said here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You act like this is a commonly accepted premise but I think some people think you should always try to hit the yorker on the basis that there isn't likely to be many runs if you get it right.
Sure... because while we consider yorker to be a length, it actually does vary coz the aim is to hit the batsman on the toes, and it varies based on where the batsman stands. If you are good enough to nail 6 yorkers an over, you should go for it. But even Malinga was not there and I dont think I have seen anyone who was that good.