• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how many teams should be in the county championship div 1?

Best number of teams out of 8,9,10 for county championship div 1?

Votes: 1 16.7%

Votes: 4 66.7%

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

stuarty

Cricket Spectator
in years between 2014-2020 the number of in div1 of the county cricket championship div1 has been

so which is best and why?

I say 10 because there is less of a “a poisonous climate of fear” than when the division has 8 or 9 teams in it. especially when two teams are relegated form div 1 most seasons.

Just hope there is enough space for the 10 team league to allow each team to play each other team two twice once home and once away for 18 games pers team pers season.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't see anything wrong with splitting them in two and each side playing the other home and way, so 16 four day matches to fit the hit and giggle round

I think the three up three down we had at one point was wrong, but two up two down is fine - there is undoubtedly more interest in the Championship now than when I was a kid and by the end of June there were only three or four counties with anything to play for

andmark

International Captain
I can't see anything wrong with splitting them in two and each side playing the other home and way, so 16 four day matches to fit the hit and giggle round

I think the three up three down we had at one point was wrong, but two up two down is fine - there is undoubtedly more interest in the Championship now than when I was a kid and by the end of June there were only three or four counties with anything to play for
Am I being too pessimistic/simplistic in thinking they only had the three up three down because the football Premier League does that?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

You were a kid once?

But seriously, for real? That's good news then.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is the reason they've tended to avoid 9/9 the fact that you'd then have two teams each round with a bye?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They did 9/9 for ages, it just ended when they wanted to reduce the number of matches.