• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many Aussie players would be in your current test + ODI world XI's?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On current form

My Current Testside....

LANGER
Dravid
PONTING(c)
Kallis
Lara
GILCHRIST (wk)
Flintoff
WARNE
GILLIESPIE
Murali
MCGRATH

12TH Man ... Tendulkar (sorry but all those others top order batsmen slightly outshining him now IMO)

Thats 6 Aussies in my current test side...

One day side......

GILCHRIST (wk)
Sehwag
PONTING (c)
Tendulkar
Lara
Flintoff
SYMONDS
Vettori
B.LEE
Murali
MCGRATH

and thats 5 Aussies in my current oneday side

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
In ODI's : FIVE
- Gilchrist (opener)
- Ponting (three)
- Symonds (seven)
- Gillespie or Lee (nine)
- McGrath (eleven)

In Tests : Six
- Langer (open)
- Ponting (four)
- Gilchrist(keeper)
- Warne(eight)
- Gillespie(nine)
- McGrath(eleven)

It doesnt matter who I put in the other positions, does it ? :p

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Tests - six:

Langer (opener)
Hayden (opener) - (I know he's in terrible form - but judge the state of openers around the world...the only one challenging is Strauss, and he's unproven, and perhaps Gibbs)
Ponting (three)
Gilchrist (six/keeper)
Warne (nine)
McGrath (eleven)

Don't follow ODIs closely enough...

Josh

International Regular
Tests:
Langer
Ponting
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

ODIs:
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Hogg
Lee
McGrath

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is purely on current form, as my ideal team may vary.

Tests (6)
Langer
Martyn
Gilchrist
Gillespie
Warne
McGrath

ODIs (5)
Gilchrist
Ponting
Symonds
Lee (just over Gillespie)
McGrath

Pretty much the same as the rest of you, but on pure form alone I'd have Martyn in my test team instead of Ponting. Gillespie I'd usually have ahead of Lee in both forms of the game, since he's one of my favourite bowlers, but if I'm going to judge everyone else based on current form, I have to do the same with him so I'd have Lee in ODI the team. Makes no difference though in terms of the amount of Aussies as he'd just replace Gillespie.

Obviously the Australians are a strong force in world cricket :p

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Samuel_Vimes said:
Tests - six:

Langer (opener)
Hayden (opener) - (I know he's in terrible form - but judge the state of openers around the world...the only one challenging is Strauss, and he's unproven, and perhaps Gibbs)
Sehwag's done a mighty fine job opening. :happy: Four 50s and three 100s in 2004 at an average of 63.39.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tests (7)
LANGER
Sehwag
PONTING
Dravid
Lara
Kallis
GILCHRIST
WARNE
GILLESPIE
KASPROWICZ
MCGRATH

ODIs (5)
GILCHRIST
Gayle
PONTING
Tendulkar
Lara
Flintoff
CLARKE
Vettori
Vaas
LEE
MCGRATH

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Sehwag's done a mighty fine job opening. :happy: Four 50s and three 100s in 2004 at an average of 63.39.
How many against Bangladesh? ;)

Yeh, probably forgot Sehwag. All the Indians keep moaning about the state of their openers, see. :p

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Bangladesh is actually his bogey side, it seems. Average of 11.50 against them. ;)

He averages 50+ against Australia (50.87), South Africa (68.50), West Indies (57.20), Zimbabwe (74.00) and Pakistan (109.50). He's scored almost a third of his test runs against Australia too, far more than any other side.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Bangladesh is actually his bogey side, it seems. Average of 11.50 against them. ;)

He averages 50+ against Australia (50.87), South Africa (68.50), West Indies (57.20), Zimbabwe (74.00) and Pakistan (109.50). He's scored almost a third of his test runs against Australia too, far more than any other side.
Wow. Make that five Aussies, then. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Samuel_Vimes said:

Yeh, probably forgot Sehwag. All the Indians keep moaning about the state of their openers, see. :p
Not many actually ;)

He actually likes scoring against Australia. But he doesn't discriminate, he generally scores runs against everyone.

Whenever you hear Indians complaining about our state of openers, its generally the 'other guy'. Usually surrounding the idiotic idea of putting Yuvraj in there.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Just out of curiosity, who else are people putting in the bowlers spots in the tests? Murali I can understand, although I didn't consider him as he hasn't been playing, but what seamer would be picked on current/recent form ahead of Gillespie and Kasprowicz? I nearly put Shoaib in there, but Kasprowicz has outplayed him since his return I feel. Harmison is out of form, Pollock might be a chance, but again probably hasn't beat either Gillespie or Kasprowicz out recently... Hoggard?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I put Pollock, mainly because I think he can still do it, and takes a lot of wickets per match - in contrast to Gillespie and Kasprowicz who are well-rated workhorses behind the stars McGrath and Warne (and do that job very, very well IMO). It also gives a long batting depth. Considered putting Flintoff in too, but Kallis made him redundant.

Full eleven, then:

Langer
Sehwag
Ponting
Dravid
Kallis
Lara
Gilchrist
Pollock
Warne
Muralitharan
McGrath

Swervy

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
I put Pollock, mainly because I think he can still do it, and takes a lot of wickets per match - in contrast to Gillespie and Kasprowicz who are well-rated workhorses behind the stars McGrath and Warne (and do that job very, very well IMO). It also gives a long batting depth. Considered putting Flintoff in too, but Kallis made him redundant.

Full eleven, then:

Langer
Sehwag
Ponting
Dravid
Kallis
Lara
Gilchrist
Pollock
Warne
Muralitharan
McGrath
so only two quality pacers (of a very similar type in fact)?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
Just out of curiosity, who else are people putting in the bowlers spots in the tests? Murali I can understand, although I didn't consider him as he hasn't been playing, but what seamer would be picked on current/recent form ahead of Gillespie and Kasprowicz? I nearly put Shoaib in there, but Kasprowicz has outplayed him since his return I feel. Harmison is out of form, Pollock might be a chance, but again probably hasn't beat either Gillespie or Kasprowicz out recently... Hoggard?
Umm, it depends. McGrath and Gillespie are always my first two chosen seamers, and if I choose 2 spinners (which I usually do with my Test XI) I choose Warne and Murali. If you discount Murali because of his injury, I'd place Kumble in his place.

That's of course if I choose 2 spinners. Choosing 3 seamers, I'd choose Akhtar over Kasprowicz. I'm sure a huge load of statistics could be thrown at me that Kasprowicz performed better in 2004 than Akhtar, but I feel Akhtar bowled well during the Australian test series. Yes, arguments can be made for his behaviour and disciple on field, his constant injuries etc. Been done to death. I still think Akhtar and McGrath opening the bowling, along with Gillespie first change would be very exciting to see.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
In test matches I put, alongwith McGrath, Gillespie and Warne, Murali and Kallis. In case of a track for seamers, one of the spinners would make way for whoever is in form, Harmison, Shoaib, Pollock.

In ODI's, in addition to Aussies McGrath, Gillespie and Symonds, I have Murali, Pollock and Kallis.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Josh said:
Tests:
Langer
Ponting
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

ODIs:
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Hogg
Lee
McGrath
Hogg ?? C'mon ...Can't agree with that..surely he's Australias weakest player !!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
Hogg ?? C'mon ...Can't agree with that..surely he's Australias weakest player !!
He surely is. Keep in mind that he was dropped for Casson not alllll that long ago by his state side.