• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How highly would David Gower be rated now?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I'm a little too young to remember him as a truly active player. My cricketing career began with Gooch v India in '90, but everyone I talk to here (UK-side) rates peak Gower as a brilliant player.

Yes, I know the stats, and like anyone I have access to YouTube, but I want to know from people who were there at the time.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was a top player. Suffered a bit from making it look easy and it therefore seemed he got out in a lazy fashion a fair bit - sort of the Mark Waugh of the 80s. Though I think he was a bit better than junior.

Can’t believe Gooch ended Gower’s career because he and John Morris buzzed a tour match on the Gold Coast in a biplane they hired.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
He was considered a top batsman in the world for most of his career, especially in the early-mid 80s. Man was consistent across opponents in all countries even during different phases of his career. Averaging 40+ in most situations in that era was not a joke. While Viv, Gavaskar, Greg ChappelI, Border and Miandad were the acknowledged all-time greats, Gower, Zaheer, Greenidge, Walters, Lloyd and Vishy were not far behind. If he played today, I think he would be ranked on par with the Mahelas and Younis Khans, and it is likely that his numbers would be matching theirs in this era.