• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good was Fanie de Viiliers?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Donald, Pollock, Steyn, Morket and Philander are mentioned a lot. Why not this bloke? Absolutely loved his antics and that approach to the wicket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He looked distinctly ordinary when he played for Kent in 1990. He was better in '94 but nothing like as good as Alan Donald - that said I'll be forever grateful to him for his decision to greet Devon Malcolm with a bouncer at the Oval that year

Overall though his record is a very good one so I suspect that the simple truth is that if readmission had come along a few years earlier his stats would be more impressive and he'd linger in the memory rather more than he does

Never understood why his autobiogaphy was published in India

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Always loved him as a kid.

Him and Paul Reiffel always seemed a bit similar to me, could get the ball to shape a little away without being a pure outswing bowler, had a great offcutter. Fanie had an extra yard of pace though.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
His performance at the SCG in 1994 is one of my earliest cricketing memories. One of the great new ball partnerships with Donald.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Fanie had a nice action, which was perhaps designed to hide his grip before he'd bowl one of those cutters. A very smart operator, he was an outstanding ODI bowler - one of the best of the early 90s. He was a fine outfielder in general too - used to throw back balls to the keeper at lightening speed using the strong shoulder.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Good pace, tall, shaped it away, aggressive and great teammate.What is there not to love?

SeamUp

International Coach
MIGARA
Donald, Pollock, Steyn, Morket and Philander are mentioned a lot. Why not this bloke? Absolutely loved his antics and that approach to the wicket.
Would say post isolation , those 5 plus Ntini and de Villiers have been our best quicks. As has been said, Donald and Fanie's careers over-lapped with isolation but frustratingly Fanie was viewed as limited overs quick for far too long. Those 7 are all very good but I've always wondered how Brett Schultz and Mfuneko Ngam's careers would have turned out if they didn't suffer sever injuries.

GOUGHY
Good pace, tall, shaped it away, aggressive and great teammate.What is there not to love?
Top man , Goughy. Always good to hear your views.

What a quality performer Viniger Fanie was but what a team man he was is a key point. Had a superb skill to straighten the ball bowling from so wide of the crease (used the crease well). Pretty sure many young kids tried to mimic his action too.

Think him, Big Mac and Uncle Pat in the same team was probably the best dressing room atmosphere in cricketing history. :drunk:

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Yeah, I always liked De Villiers, he was a real fighter. He was also one of the guys that looked like playing for South Africa really meant something to him, and basically carried our attack in 1994-95 when Donald was out due to injury.

He also overcame some serious injury issues to play for South Africa. He had serious back surgery in 1983 which damaged his nerves, and while in the army nearly went blind when a barrel of lime exploded.

Fanie de Villiers: 'I was the best in the world with the offcutter' | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo