• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good is Ponting's pull shot?

Sir Alex

Banned
This is sadly becoming a pattern and his injury is not making it easier for him either. I hope he takes a leaf out of Tendulkar's books (Sydney 2004) and keep this shot in his quiver for sometime till he gets back his confidence fully. He has had his worst year in test cricket since 2001 (ignoring 2007 he played only 4 tests) and Australia need him now more than ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Since the start of 2007 Ponting averages 42.82.

Knew he averaged sub-50 but didn't realise it was that low.

Riggins

International Captain
I have been saying for 18 months how amazing i find it that ponting constantly hammers pull/hook shots despite not watching the ball in the slightest. agree his pull is not what it used to be, but still a great player of the short delivery.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
This is sadly becoming a pattern and his injury is not making it easier for him either. I hope he takes a leaf out of Tendulkar's books (Sydney 2004) and keep this shot in his quiver for sometime till he gets back his confidence fully. He has had his worst year in test cricket since 2001 (ignoring 2007 he played only 4 tests) and Australia need him now more than ever.
Actually 20001 wasn't a terrible year statistically for him at all. He just had that horror show in IND. His performances vs WI, NZ & SA where very good.

Ponting worse year this decade form wise was 2004, which coincidentally was his first year as skipper & he was definately in worst form in 2004 that he has been in any point since 2007.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually, Lehmann always looked much better against spin than pace, I feel. He seemed a little too tentative against genuine pace at times.

Plus, I believe that he was carrying an injury during that series.
Lehmann in 2004/05? Yeah, I think he was. Lehmann's career would've been different not because of anything related to him in that series but because Michael Clarke would not have replaced Ponting and Lehmann would not have had the mad pressure (in part from himself) from Clarke's superb performances in his first 6 Tests. Clarke in fact would've had to wait, hopefully until the sort of time he should've been made to wait ITFP.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ponting won't give up pulling | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

"Wait until I get fit again and we'll see if everyone is still saying the same thing about it then," Ponting said in the Sunday Telegraph. "They are such reactive shots, they are instinctive. I'm not sure how people in the past have gone about putting them away."

His reaction is understandable. However, Ricky would be better off shelving such shots till his injury gets healed considering he himself is not confident playing them now.

pasag

RTDAS
Ponting won't give up pulling | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

"Wait until I get fit again and we'll see if everyone is still saying the same thing about it then," Ponting said in the Sunday Telegraph. "They are such reactive shots, they are instinctive. I'm not sure how people in the past have gone about putting them away."

His reaction is understandable. However, Ricky would be better off shelving such shots till his injury gets healed considering he himself is not confident playing them now.
Probably more of an overconfidence issue, than an underconfidence issue.